Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Equus Leather, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

Looks like there are now palladium plated options on the site. What's the long term durability of these buckles? Does the plating wear through to the brass quickly? Also, if you select the palladium plating, is that a polished or brushed finish?

2. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The plating will wear with time, its the nature of plating, but we specify a good depth of palladium to give as long life as possible. Historically we've steered away from plating for exactly that reason, but its really the only way of getting a white buckle if stainless isn't available so we decided to offer this as an option so people could decide for themselves.

We have each buckle plated individually by hand and do the pre plating prep ourselves so we can make sure there aren't casting flaws that are then plated over on the face of the buckle which is one of my pet hates. Plating is a compromise, but we've done everything we an to make it as good a compromise as we can.

At the moment the buckles are polished finish only, theoretically satin could be done as well though

Couple of photos..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Charlie

3. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Thanks for your help Charlie - Oxford Tan ordered (with a racing green for good measure - got to combine the shipping, right?).

4. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

That's great news... bad news is it's going to get very expensive for me if I buy one for each belt :D. Too bad you can't buy one and swap.

5. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

You can have Equus make the belt with Chicago screws to do just that. Please see here.

6. Equus Leather

:)

7. Equus Leather

Odd I/O is quite right, we can combine a replacement strap(s) with any of our buckles to make up a set you can swap around. Given this is styleforum I have to be honest though and say I don't think the chicago screws are on a par with the quality of the damascus buckles, which are rather special things. If it were me I would go for the stitched in option - you get a nicer thing overall, which after all is the point :)

I will talk to the damascus guys about damascus chicago screws - might be too small and too expensive to be sensible!

Charlie

8. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

9. Equus Leather

They are rather lovely. Am hoping the first batch will be here asap

Charlie

10. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

If I wanted to buy a belt on clearance but also waned to wait for a damacus buckle (and to get another belt) could I order it and you hold it for me to combine shipping?

11. Equus Leather

Yes, with pleasure. The only caveat is we don't physically have the buckles as yet as you know, so I can't promise exactly how long they'll be. they guys we're dealing with have done what they said they would so far though

Charlie

12. 63AMG

63AMG Senior member

Charlie and Dawn,

Really like the new website. 4 more belts ordered!

13. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

Does anyone know which leather color would be closest to the Allen Edmonds bourbon color?

14. Equus Leather

:) on both counts, thank you, much appreciated!

Bourbon is quite a tricky colour. In a lot of ways its aged London Tan, its a fundamentally yellow based colour. Our Oak Brown is similar but not identical, likewise aged London Tan of either Sedgwick or Bakers variants. Oxford Tan is probably too dark.

Our free samples might be of use, you can see first hand if you like any of the matches

On the website bug we've been tweaking and ironing bugs out. We've sorted out a bug that was preventing the menus working gracefully on iOS devices which should make it a more user friendly and corrected some anomalies with choices of the thread colour, buckle. All the feedback we've had has been extremely useful and much appreciated and several bug hunting bounties have been paid out!

Charlie

15. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

Thanks! I might have to pick up the London tan and make it an antiquing project. Maybe a heavy dose of Obenauf's oil or some black shoe polish will do the trick.