• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hi Charlie, would be so kind as to post a photo comparing the various Baker's leather including the above?  Thanks.

This is quite tricky, the reason being its very difficult to take a single photo that represents a Bakers colour well. They have amazing depth and subtlety of colour, but because of that are quite varied both between pieces and across the same piece, hence the difficulty! The Bakers stuff is quite polarising I find, if you love consistency Sedgwick leather is amazing - they are very very consistent batch to batch, quality is world class and the colours don't vary at all really. If you love leather with character and interest Bakers is for you, their leathers are subtle and beautiful because of rather than inspite of of their variation. Depending on your point of view you could argue the case either is the best bridle leather maker in the world.

For completeness this is the swatch of London from above. When new the leather will be brighter and have a little more yellow. It'll age to a richer brown than this over time

These are good photos of Oak Brown. It varies from a warm mid brown to a rich darker brown. It doesnt have red undertones. Its normal 4 to sometimes 4 1/2mm You can see from the watch strap photo its a cousin to the London Colour - its rare for it to be consistently this light.

This is Australian Nut, probably the hardest to photograph. It has a lot of red and comes to life in the sun or when flexed. This is generally the lightest and most flexible leather from Bakers we do at 3 1/2 - 4mm

This is Dark Stain Harness leather. Its made specifically for us. It varies in colour from a Sedgwick Australian Nut colour to a Dark Havanna colour but is generally toward the darker end with warm reddy highlight. Its a lovely leather, my personal favourite I think. Its heavyweight at about 5mm

The Russet is undyed and ages beautifully

Very happy to send free samples to anyone who'd like them

Hope this helps!

Charlie

barky

Reaction score
This is quite tricky, the reason being its very difficult to take a single photo that represents a Bakers colour well. They have amazing depth and subtlety of colour, but because of that are quite varied both between pieces and across the same piece, hence the difficulty! The Bakers stuff is quite polarising I find, if you love consistency Sedgwick leather is amazing - they are very very consistent batch to batch, quality is world class and the colours don't vary at all really. If you love leather with character and interest Bakers is for you, their leathers are subtle and beautiful because of rather than inspite of of their variation. Depending on your point of view you could argue the case either is the best bridle leather maker in the world.

For completeness this is the swatch of London from above. When new the leather will be brighter and have a little more yellow. It'll age to a richer brown than this over time

These are good photos of Oak Brown. It varies from a warm mid brown to a rich darker brown. It doesnt have red undertones. Its normal 4 to sometimes 4 1/2mm You can see from the watch strap photo its a cousin to the London Colour - its rare for it to be consistently this light.

This is Australian Nut, probably the hardest to photograph. It has a lot of red and comes to life in the sun or when flexed. This is generally the lightest and most flexible leather from Bakers we do at 3 1/2 - 4mm

This is Dark Stain Harness leather. Its made specifically for us. It varies in colour from a Sedgwick Australian Nut colour to a Dark Havanna colour but is generally toward the darker end with warm reddy highlight. Its a lovely leather, my personal favourite I think. Its heavyweight at about 5mm

The Russet is undyed and ages beautifully

Very happy to send free samples to anyone who'd like them

Hope this helps!

Charlie
Already have your Baker's Aust Nut and Oak Brown, which are great BTW. Just would like a side by side photo but thanks anyways for the comprehensive comparison.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Already have your Baker's Aust Nut and Oak Brown, which are great BTW.  Just would like a side by side photo but thanks anyways for the comprehensive comparison.

Sorry, got carried away! I'll try and take a picture of the various colours and weights next to each other!

Whilst I was looking throughout the photos on the thread I realised I hadn't posted many belt pictures for a little while, so here are a few of our Lined and Raised and I'll try and post some more of the various styles over the next little while - can never have to many photos!

The L&R in British Racing Green with Burgundy Lining and Green thead

The L&R in Black with Red contrast stitching and lining

The L&R in Aus Nut with contrasting Natural Lin Cable stitching

I'll add some more photos with non contasting stitching later. One of the things we've found with our Lin Cable project (all the L&Rs only use Lin Cable thread now) is that whilst we can achieve really good contrast we can apse achieve really good matching stitching as well for a more or less zero contrast look.

Charlie

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The briitsh green is amazing; my doxie has a beautiful collar in it, which still looks good to this day after uncountable hunting trips and rounds of conditioning. I would suspect a belt to last a lifetime.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The briitsh green is amazing; my doxie has a beautiful collar in it, which still looks good to this day after uncountable hunting trips and rounds of conditioning. I would suspect a belt to last a lifetime.

Thats the plan really - look after them and they should be a friend for life. Glad the collar is doing well :)

Here are a couple of photos of a black no contrast L&R belt - difficult to photograph well!

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Some Sam Browne photos this morning! The Sam B is rather fun - something unusual and an exercise in contrast stitching, they all feature the yellow thread of the original military design.

Charlie

In Australian Nut

In British Racing Green

In Oxford Tan

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Photo barrage continues!

These are the first of a batch taken for background material for the new website, a little insight into the workshop - more in this series to follow..

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
On the same subject, here are some illustrations of the tools that we use everyday, once again part of a series for the new website, I thought people here might enjoy them. The nice thing is whilst these are more or less exact pictures of our tools they are actually from a catalogue from 1900..

In other news, the Bakers London Tan is here - photos tomorrow..

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Some Bakers London Tan photos as promised. Its a really nice, interesting leather. Its somewhat warmer in colour and more varied than the Sedgwick version and with a much more pronounced grain. It will age to a lovely rich honey brown over the course of its life. From a technical point of view its nice to work with and takes a stitch well, very like the Oak Brown which its a close relation to. The last photo is with an off-cut of Sedgwick London Tan by way of comparison. The Sedgwick leather is somewhat lighter as you can see.

As ever more than happy to send samples to anyone who'd like them - just drop me an email or PM.

This is an 1 1/4" Nickel West End hand stitched with Ecru Lin Cable thread. The belt is on our website here

Charlie

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just dropping by to say that I've received my first Equus Leather belt 2 weeks ago (wasn't a SF member then, so I couldn't post it here) and boy I'm glad I went thru with the order! The belt is superb and the craftsmanship is impressive. I like the smell too!

I'm sure it won't be my last belt from you guys!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just dropping by to say that I've received my first Equus Leather belt 2 weeks ago (wasn't a SF member then, so I couldn't post it here) and boy I'm glad I went thru with the order! The belt is superb and the craftsmanship is impressive. I like the smell too!

I'm sure it won't be my last belt from you guys!

I feel exactly the same way and said something very similar about a year and a half ago. I took delivery of my 4th Equus belt in February this year.

Great images Charlie!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads