1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Equus Leather, Aug 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The inevitable answer is "soon" :) We've had the prototypes from the maker but we havent had the first batch yet. Given they're a new design I want to wait for the first shipment to arrive before I put them on the website so we know for sure they are right. I hope we'll also have 2 more new designs in the same shipment, plus we have a couple of reworkings of current designs in the pipeline

Hope that helps a bit!

Charlie

2. nhannon

nhannon Senior member

Is there a calf option for the replacement strap?

3. Equus Leather

Not on the website but its something we do as a bespoke product. We actually do it quite frequently really. The Calf Lined and Raised is effectively what you'll get but made around your existing buckle

Drop me an email or pm if you want to chat through the specifics

Charlie

4. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

Looking at the bridle watch straps. Is it possible to get them to less than 4mm thick?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  5. Equus Leather

Yes, definiltley. In fact generally they are, the text on the website lags behind product development a little. As a generalisation they will be around 2 1/2mm at the edges and around 3 1/2mm in the centre at the watch end, tapering down towards 3mm at the end of the strap. Thats about the limit to how thin we can make them in bridle at the moment though.

The goatskin straps are a little thinner again if thats your primary criteria?

Charlie

6. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

Thanks for the info. Just looking around for now.

Really like this as well: http://www.equusleather.co.uk/watch-straps/barenia-watch-straps/barenia-watch-strap.html

Any pictures on how the color has progressed? Noticed you made a wallet as well :slayer:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  7. Equus Leather

The Barenia is lovely. It changes colour and patinates quickly, if you're looking for a 3mm or so strap in a brown it might be just what you want. No very current photos but you might not have seen these. The wallet in both was c. 6 months old at the time and the watchstrap was new. You can see how the colour gets richer and deeper with use.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Charlie

8. Equus Leather

9. Equus Leather

Hi All,

A few watch strap photos for you. This is for a Cartier Tank, we've made the strap using the original 18k gold buckle using Claret goatskin with a natural calf lining. The taper is 28 - 22 mm, its nearly a cuff. Hopefully we'll have some action shots from the owner in due course

Charlie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. trum01

trum01 Senior member

Please make this in silver!

11. Riva

Riva Senior member

+1 need more chrome buckle choices.

12. Equus Leather

Working on it!

Charlie

13. mistercitizen

mistercitizen Senior member

What do you guys think is the best belt color match for Carmina Brogues in Saddle Shell Cordovan?

[​IMG]

J & E Sedgwick Oxford Tan:

[​IMG]

or Bakers Oak Brown:

[​IMG]

or J & E Sedgwick Hazel:

[​IMG]
    I've emailed Charlie about this and he's sending me samples, but I thought I'd get your guys' opinion as well. I think the Oxford Tan might be the best, but it will be interesting to see when the samples arrive.

Ben

14. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

15. mistercitizen

mistercitizen Senior member

16. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Dear Charlie,

I could write you an email to ask you about use of the Sedgwick product containing ingredients "natural oils, fats and beeswax", but here all your fans see what I ask and maybe they have answers as well. I wear my belt everyday, that's not the issue. I have several Jodhpur boots manufactured or sold by various shoemakers or retailers outsourced. These poor calfskin boots go through weather and being stepped on by gorillas in the disco. Because I'm neurotic I disregard the advice of a local shoe repairer who says by boots don't get dirty enough to justify what used to be called Propert's Saddle Soap, now Grison. After enploying this soap to wash gently several pairs of boots, and feeling sad to see how the leather looked, I decided to use that Sedgwick stuff. My question is: why not Sedwick, and instead of polish? It seems to be better for the leather - am I wrong?

17. Equus Leather

Hi!

Saddle soap, generally speaking is quite a low pH fairly aggressive soap. It definitely has a place as part of a leather care regime but in my view its designed to be a degreaser specifically to remove a horses grease and sweat from saddle leather and as a result can be quite aggressive. Many people use it as a conditioner which really it isn't. The Segwick Leathercare is a generically a good thing to apply after saddle soap, it helps keep the leather nourished after the saddle soap strips the greases from it and if the question was about bridle leather Id say your fine to do what your doing. The Leathercare is probably a bit heavy for shoe leather though and is specifically designed for vegtable tanned leather which your shoes may well not be. Personally I use Saphir Renovature for my shoes and I think something like that would give you good nourishment for the leather and a better finish - I imagine the leatherfeed wont do them any harm as long as you dont saturate the shoes with it though. Others might have more to add though.

Im glad the belt is doing well!

Charlie

1 person likes this.
  18. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I've got the Bakers Aus Nut and I don't think it would go with saddle shell. Depending on what time the post comes today I may have the Oxford Tan as well and an give some side-to-sides.

19. Equus Leather

Id agree, its too red, if that helps

Charlie

20. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Yep, apologies, my phone screen makes the colours look much closer. PC monitor shows me to have been talking nonsense!