• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

thecool85

Reaction score
I'm guessing hazel, or maybe the russet Baker's after it has worn in a bit - but why don't you get him to send you some samples? I received some with my last belt order and it takes the guesswork out of things.

That's a great idea. I think I'll do just that.

thecool85

Reaction score
Yea I would ask for a few samples to verify the leather.

In all honesty you cant go wrong with any of the belts from Charlie. They are simply fantastic

He's been a great guy to work with so far. I have a Baker's oak brown belt on order right now, but I'm thinking I'm gonna add at least one more belt.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He's been a great guy to work with so far. I have a Baker's oak brown belt on order right now, but I'm thinking I'm gonna add at least one more belt.

I have ordered 3 from Charlie: British Racing Green, Navy, and the Dark Havanna

thecool85

Reaction score
I have ordered 3 from Charlie: British Racing Green, Navy, and the Dark Havanna

I'm sure I'll pick up a navy at some point to go with the navy shell loafers, but at the moment my belt collection is kind of sparse so I'm working on filling the holes. One day I WILL have one of those lined and raised belts. They look exquisite and the amount of handwork that goes into their creation just makes me crave one even more.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sure I'll pick up a navy at some point to go with the navy shell loafers, but at the moment my belt collection is kind of sparse so I'm working on filling the holes. One day I WILL have one of those lined and raised belts. They look exquisite and the amount of handwork that goes into their creation just makes me crave one even more.

I agree I think the raised and lined belts look amazing. I am also highly considering ordering a watch strap with my next belt purchase as I just got my first Panerai and need an additional strap in the near future to pair up with it!

thecool85

Reaction score
I agree I think the raised and lined belts look amazing. I am also highly considering ordering a watch strap with my next belt purchase as I just got my first Panerai and need an additional strap in the near future to pair up with it!

Congrats man! So much to purchase and so little funds. I've recently discovered Vanda and between Carmina, Vanda, and Equus, I'm going to be completely broke in no time.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congrats man! So much to purchase and so little funds. I've recently discovered Vanda and between Carmina, Vanda, and Equus, I'm going to be completely broke in no time.

Dont get me started on Vanda. Best ties ive ever worn.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I'm guessing hazel, or maybe the russet Baker's after it has worn in a bit - but why don't you get him to send you some samples? I received some with my last belt order and it takes the guesswork out of things.

I think maybe Oxford Tan actually, but the advice re the samples is spot on (thanks CWP!) - PM me your address and we'll get some in the post

Charlie

jamalmbe

Reaction score
Hi all - I am very new to SF, but just wanted to share my thanks to the people at Equus leather. I got my belt as a super quick delivery for a very special occasion, and the belt really exceeded my high expectations. A black West end belt with stainless steel buckle, very basic of basics - and I simply love every single detail of it. Wonderful work!

I will be sure to spread the good word along here in Finland. And I will definately get backfor other types & colors, trying to hold my horses for just a while but let's see. :)

Last edited:

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rather like a swan, lots of effort underneath but quite serene looking! To be fair thats the only possible resemblance I have with a swan!

Going back to having a greater selection of leather types, these are some leather samples I got earlier - again rubbish iPhone photos but some lovely quality Italian Calf available in lots of colours overlayed with some rather special Russian grained calf from Horween

What's the difference between these Italian leathers and your regular bridle leathers from Sedgwick/Bakers? I'm just curious why one would choose one over the other?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hi all - I am very new to SF, but just wanted to share my thanks to the people at Equus leather. I got my belt as a super quick delivery for a very special occasion, and the belt really exceeded my high expectations. A black West end belt with stainless steel buckle, very basic of basics - and I simply love every single detail of it. Wonderful work!

I will be sure to spread the good word along here in Finland. And I will definately get backfor other types & colors, trying to hold my horses for just a while but let's see. :)

Pleased to help and thank you for the kind words :)

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

[/SPOILER]

What's the difference between these Italian leathers and your regular bridle leathers from Sedgwick/Bakers? I'm just curious why one would choose one over the other?

They are really very different from each other and produce a quite different product. To generalise quite a bit -

Bridle leather is generally 3 1/2 - 4mm or so thick, vegetable tanned and finished with lots of wax to make a substantial, strong but pretty leather thats designed to be used as a single thickness. It will age very well and last probably for decades if looked after. Its always vegetable tanned. Its one of the nicest and most expensive leathers available.

Calf leather is nearly invariably chrome or partially chrome tanned. Its normally 1 1/4 - 1 1/2mm and unfinished on the reverse so designed for a multi layer product. It tends to remain static in appearance over time rather than patinating like vegtable tanned leather will. Because the leather is from younger cows it has a tighter grain, less if any scars or marks compared with the bridle leather. You couldnt make a single layer belt from it like you can with bridle but makes a thinner and softer double layered belt than our bridle L&R and can be had in a wider range of colours and grains. The bridle leather L&R is a lovely and unique thing but quite heavy weight for some tastes, the calf gives the opportunity for the same level of craftsmanship, stitched edges and aesthetic but in a lighter weight belt.

I'll post more photos of the calf developments when I can. We are getting settled in after our workshop move so a certain amount of chaos reigns!

Hope that helps!

Charlie

Garasaki

Reaction score
Hey just a random suggestion:

How bout an image gallery on your website, of customers wearing their belts with outfits?

I'm on the fence on a winchester buckle in nickel (stainless? not brass anyway) and I'm just not sure how that buckle looks when worn - even though it clearly looks awesome in pictures by itself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics