• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
^ There's something really calming about that video. I could watch it all day!

Rather like a swan, lots of effort underneath but quite serene looking! To be fair thats the only possible resemblance I have with a swan!

Going back to having a greater selection of leather types, these are some leather samples I got earlier - again rubbish iPhone photos but some lovely quality Italian Calf available in lots of colours overlayed with some rather special Russian grained calf from Horween

When will the Russian grained calf belt become available? I might want one to go with my Alfred Sargent chukkas of the same leather. I read somewhere that only one color is available in this leather, so I'd assume the color of your sample is the same as my shoes.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

When will the Russian grained calf belt become available? I might want one to go with my Alfred Sargent chukkas of the same leather. I read somewhere that only one color is available in this leather, so I'd assume the color of your sample is the same as my shoes.

Probably fairly shortly, but not quite there yet - I'll post to the forum when we have them ready.

Russian calf is a finishing technique and grain pattern, the offcut above is tanned by Horween and there are 4 or 5 colours available - likely Sargents are using the same leather so there may well be several choices. To complicate matters though the leather arrives lightly finished - Sergeants will very likely have refinished or burnished it so it may look quite different to ours. Post some photos though and I can take a look

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Took a picture of my little collection. Both are about the same age (4 months) but the wallet (right) gets more use. The true colour is slightly darker than pictured and is an orangey-tan like patrick's belt (under sunlight). It's actually a really dull and muddled colour right now under artificial light tbh . At the bottom of them are equus leather samples (tan, russet bakers , hazel, bakers oak brown, oxford tan). I'd love to see how they age compared to equus bridle russet bakers
Interesting! Who made the wallets and do you know the origins of the leather? Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just a heads up for people. We've just added 1", 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" versions of the Fillis in Brass to the website. They are lovely well proportioned buckles and look really good made up. No photos on the website but they will go on in due course - the stainless and brass are the same though really.

I know people have been missing the 1 1/4" Fillis - hopefully this will be useful to those holding out for its return!

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hey Charlie! Do you guys offer the Kensington buckles in stainless steel? If not do you have any plans to? Thanks.

We don't, its a brass only buckle I'm afraid. Ive tried to get the foundry to do a white metal version - no luck so far Im afraid!

Sorry!

Charlie

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

Probably fairly shortly, but not quite there yet - I'll post to the forum when we have them ready.

Russian calf is a finishing technique and grain pattern, the offcut above is tanned by Horween and there are 4 or 5 colours available - likely Sargents are using the same leather so there may well be several choices. To complicate matters though the leather arrives lightly finished - Sergeants will very likely have refinished or burnished it so it may look quite different to ours. Post some photos though and I can take a look

Charlie

Thanks for the reply Charlie. Here's the pair of AS boots (Radwell) I have with the hatch grain leather (as of now, AS only offers one color of this leather):

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply Charlie. Here's the pair of AS boots (Radwell) I have with the hatch grain leather (as of now, AS only offers one color of this leather):

I cant be 100% certain but I think thats Horween Russian calf in Sienna. Its much more burnished than ours though, we keep it fairly "au natural" so it hasnt got the highlights your boots have. I'll keep the forum posted with photos of ours when we have a belt to photograph though so you can see first hand

Charlie

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

I cant be 100% certain but I think thats Horween Russian calf in Sienna. Its much more burnished than ours though, we keep it fairly "au natural" so it hasnt got the highlights your boots have. I'll keep the forum posted with photos of ours when we have a belt to photograph though so you can see first hand

Charlie

Thanks for the feedback Charlie. I look forward to seeing pictures of the new belt.

MoldyBiscuit

Reaction score
Interesting! Who made the wallets and do you know the origins of the leather?

Charlie
Thanks. The wallet (right) is by tanner goods which, according to the website, uses 'english bridle leather' and the one on the left is custom made by ObbiGoodLabel. I was told the material is 'premium' japanese leather but I was more concerned about the design than the leather at the time tbh.

ramadharma

Reaction score
These belts look beautiful. Do you know the metal composition of the various different buckles? I have a very bad contact allergy to nickel that is set off by trace amounts. Are the stainless steel and brass hardware nickel free? What about silver?

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

These belts look beautiful. Do you know the metal composition of the various different buckles? I have a very bad contact allergy to nickel that is set off by trace amounts. Are the stainless steel and brass hardware nickel free? What about silver?

I do to a certain degree but not enough to certify them given you have a problem with nickel. The foundry that makes our buckles uses nickel quite a bit and likely uses the same melting pots and molds for brass and pewter as the nickel so I'm not sure I would risk it. The stainless is probably OK but isnt a certified grade, its just stainless, so again I wouldnt guarantee it though I imagine it will be OK.

Two possibly helpful suggestions -

1) If you have a source of your own for buckles that you know are fine we're very happy to make a belt around your buckle

2) We could have a brass or stainless buckle palladium (or somthing else) plated. Without knowing your history I dont know if that would be sufficient for you but worth a thought as a physical barrier

Im more than happy to chat by PM or email about your specific needs if that would help

Charlie

cold war painter

Reaction score
I'm guessing hazel, or maybe the russet Baker's after it has worn in a bit - but why don't you get him to send you some samples? I received some with my last belt order and it takes the guesswork out of things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads