• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

jimney

Reaction score
I just ordered a burgundy West End to go with my incoming Alden color #8 LWBs. Quite excited for both to come in. :)

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and the orders guys, much appreciated. I take on board the comments about leather choice, we have lots of colours but not many styles or species. I'm really picky about the leather we use and it's hard to find the right quality, I guess I've stayed within my comfort zone in as much as we onl use two tanneries I know and trust, I'll look to widen the net even if it's experimentally and see what can be found.

We do make double ring belts from time to time, so that's certain not impossible. Bridle leather is reasonable stiff for that design and it does age quite quickly, but if that's not a problem to you it's a design we can do..

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the kind words..

Charlie

OzTheWizard

Reaction score
Beautiful belts. The thousand stitches reminds me on the Chinese Forbidden Stitch. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Oz

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The belts look really great, but i'm having some trouble deciding if they're formal or casual?

Some of them look pretty formal, but some don't. And can bridle leather be used to make formal belts? Narrangansett Leathers make theirs out of bridle leather, and they look pretty formal. I've gotten one from them, but would like to try one out from Equus.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The belts look really great, but i'm having some trouble deciding if they're formal or casual?

Some of them look pretty formal, but some don't. And can bridle leather be used to make formal belts? Narrangansett Leathers make theirs out of bridle leather, and they look pretty formal. I've gotten one from them, but would like to try one out from Equus.

Hi Althanis,

It depends! The belts come in so many different permutations you can make something formal or something very casual. Also I suppose it depends what you personally think of as formal. A Black or Dark Havanna 1 1/8" Nickel West End (for e.g) is very smart, unobtrusive and is certainly suitable for wear with a suit, at least I wear one with a suit anyway. The Sedgwick leather is very uniform in colour and look, if you pick a suitable width, colour and buckle I dont think you'll be disappointed. Drop me a PM and I can help you with the specifics if you like

Hope that helps,

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Charlie, I'll be adding a post about your oak bark belts on Keikari soon. I'll send you the link once done. They have the most wonderful smell.

Thanks V, much appreciated.

They do smell great, a real antidote to the acrid smell of some of the stuff thats around now. Its the same leather smell that I remember from saddlery and harness rooms when I was a child, very evocative of a nearly bygone time.

Charlie

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charlie, I'll be adding a post about your oak bark belts on Keikari soon. I'll send you the link once done. They have the most wonderful smell.

I have the Scott Oak Bark. Great build in terms of wear and very comfortable. The only thing I've been wondering is what can I do to get the grain and color to show a little more? Mine looks far more uniform then in the photos.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I have the Scott Oak Bark. Great build in terms of wear and very comfortable. The only thing I've been wondering is what can I do to get the grain and color to show a little more? Mine looks far more uniform then in the photos.

The best thing with any of the Scotts really is to wear it and let it develop character. Each piece of leather is different, the leather is very much handmade at Bakers so you will get different colours, different grain in terms of intensity and character and different colour variations. I think the best is got out of them just by wearing them over the years, they are designed to lead a tough life and really come into their own with use.

I hope that helps!

Charlie

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best thing with any of the Scotts really is to wear it and let it develop character. Each piece of leather is different, the leather is very much handmade at Bakers so you will get different colours, different grain in terms of intensity and character and different colour variations. I think the best is got out of them just by wearing them over the years, they are designed to lead a tough life and really come into their own with use.

I hope that helps!

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, it does! I care for it using Saphir's leather lotion. How often should I put that on? Is this a belt that doesn't need care often?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks Charlie, it does! I care for it using Saphir's leather lotion. How often should I put that on? Is this a belt that doesn't need care often?

The leather is dipped in a vat of hot grease as part of the tanning/finishing process so the care needed under normal use is pretty minimal to be honest - its such a robust leather it'll cope with nearly anything you throw at it. I dont think leather care products really help it because it wont soak in unless for some reason the leather has got really dry. I tend not to do anything at all with mine and they are all doing pretty well.

The Sedgwick leather is much dryer and I'd be encouraging you to feed it a lot if it were that, or the Bakers Russet/Oak Brown. Its interesting how different the harnesss leather is to the bridle, to me anyway.

Charlie

redboat

Reaction score
Hi Charlie,
My belt arrived today, very nice and quality is top notch, thanks.

Australian Nut Oak Bark Belt:
Thanks for the photo. Is that the nickel "West End" buckle in satin finish?

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leather is dipped in a vat of hot grease as part of the tanning/finishing process so the care needed under normal use is pretty minimal to be honest - its such a robust leather it'll cope with nearly anything you throw at it. I dont think leather care products really help it because it wont soak in unless for some reason the leather has got really dry. I tend not to do anything at all with mine and they are all doing pretty well.

The Sedgwick leather is much dryer and I'd be encouraging you to feed it a lot if it were that, or the Bakers Russet/Oak Brown. Its interesting how different the harnesss leather is to the bridle, to me anyway.

Charlie

Hey there are worse things then having a harness belt look as good as bridle ;).

Will leave it with out treatment for a while and see how it ages.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads