• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

Lance

Reaction score
Charlie, wonderful videos and an extremely informative post. Man, I love the lined and raised; now, bridle or Barenia, bridle or Barenia??

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Charlie, wonderful videos and an extremely informative post. Man, I love the lined and raised; now, bridle or Barenia, bridle or Barenia??

:) Glad you like them!

Barenia v Bridle is horses for courses. The bridle is tougher, more traditional, heavier and with more colour choices. The Barenia is much softer, lighter weight so more suited to lighterweight clothing. Its particular characteristic is its burnishing and aging characteristics, if you love how it goes that rich brown its the one for you.

Keeping it reasonable close in colour for consistency

Hazel Bridle Leather L&R

Barenia Stratfield strap, not Raised but Lined

Of course you could always have both :)

Charlie

Lance

Reaction score
I especially love the feel and characteristics of Barenia (still loving the simple wallet you made for me) but also love the strength and durability of bridle (and hazel will be the color of choice). I am an informal person so the first will likely be in bridle. And again, the lined and raised video is a winner! It shows the amount of skill and effort you put into each L&R making the belt even more desirable.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I especially love the feel and characteristics of Barenia (still loving the simple wallet you made for me) but also love the strength and durability of bridle (and hazel will be the color of choice). I am an informal person so the first will likely be in bridle. And again, the lined and raised video is a winner! It shows the amount of skill and effort you put into each L&R making the belt even more desirable.

Hi Lance,

Of course, Id forgotten you had the wallet so you know the leather,

I'm really glad you like the video. The guys we worked with (at least one of them is an SFer) did a really great job of showing the process but also I hope for how we feel about the work as well which is just as important

Charlie

Lance

Reaction score
You were successful! Yes, I know and love Barenia leather. I also have a weekend bag made from Barenia which has bridle corners and bridle straps around the entire circumference of the bag and, I think, harness leather handles. Covers most of the desirable leathers.:)

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

You were successful! Yes, I know and love Barenia leather. I also have a weekend bag made from Barenia which has bridle corners and bridle straps around the entire circumference of the bag and, I think, harness leather handles. Covers most of the desirable leathers.:)

Yes - lovely thing to own I imagine and very good combination!

Charlie

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm amazed by the strength of the linen cable you use on the belts - in particular, the two strands of linen you use where they wrap around each edge of the belt where it is folded around the buckle attachment:

On my belts, the cable is under an obvious amount of high tension, indicated by the indentation it makes into the thick bridle leather.

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I'm amazed by the strength of the linen cable you use on the belts - in particular, the two strands of linen you use where they wrap around each edge of the belt where it is folded around the buckle attachment:

On my belts, the cable is under an obvious amount of high tension, indicated by the indentation it makes into the thick bridle leather.

Linen is very strong for a given thickness, but the stitching technique is part of the secret as well. The tension needed is spread throughout the whole line of stitching, not just in an individual stitch as long as your able to keep the tension consistent

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

If anyone has a problem seeing the film on Vimeo because of corporate or other filtering we've placed a copy on our YouTube channel as well. We prefer to use Vimeo for a lack of annoying adds and better quality - we mirror all our content to YouTube so theres an alternative channel though.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Charlie

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lovely videos! Beautiful set of Blanchard's too, but that clam is something else! The products look great, and it's not easy stitching like that. I was taught how to hand stitch by a friend who worked at Hermes - both she and you make it look a lot easier than I've ever found it to be.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Lovely videos! Beautiful set of Blanchard's too, but that clam is something else! The products look great, and it's not easy stitching like that. I was taught how to hand stitch by a friend who worked at Hermes - both she and you make it look a lot easier than I've ever found it to be.

Thank you, thats kind of you to say. I love hand stitching (when I dont hate it) and I suppose Ive sent thousands of hours stitching now. Its a demanding mistress and and certainly I cant switch off and achieve good results, which is what makes it such a fascinating and addictive thing I suppose.

Our clams are custom made for us in France by a guy who keeps threatening to retire, I'll be very sad when he eventually does. The pair in the video are my particular favourites, they are physically mounted to my bench rather than needing to be held in place by the legs and they really help the consistency of the back of the stitch

Charlie

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable video... Gives me a new appreciation for belts and what you guys do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads