1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Equus Leather, Aug 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. zissou

zissou Senior member

Really interesting Russian calf, Charlie. Perhaps I need a small wallet from you.

2. Riva

Riva Senior member

Hopefully the prices are also more in line with modern leather as this isn't the actual antique batch.

1 person likes this.
  3. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

I've got the 38mm belt and it goes perfect with jeans. The narrower a belt is, the more formal it is. The loop holes on trousers and jeans provides the clue. I wouldn't wear a 31mm with jeans.

4. Riva

Riva Senior member

Charlie, I just submitted an order for a laced belt in which the only option is for brass roll buckle. I'd like stainless. It is possible right?

PS: I just realized this makes the 5th belt not yet shipped from Equus. The addiction is too strong [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  5. Riva

Riva Senior member

The leather is thicker than normal fashion branded belts so 31mm is still usable in my case with denims. Same concept as small but thick watches vs large but thin (Rolex vs IWC).

6. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yes, it is. Really interesting stuff and ideally suited to the way that Bakers work. Prices reflect the research thats gone in to it, but there isnt the huge rarity premium there is with the original (which surely must have run out by now! It wasn't that big a boat!). We charge more than a premium but volume calf like Baranil, but less than exotics like Ostrich or Alligator

7. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are there other shades available? The original is based around chestnut, but runs from light tan to almost black, depending on the kind of abuse it suffered.

Also, FYI, the Duke of Cornwall allowed salvage only if the premiums was kept to a reasonable sum. I do not know what that amounts to at the moment, but it used to be less than 500/pair. New & Lingwood sometimes carry loafers that would provide a more current gauge.

8. Equus Leather

Theres the one official shade, reddy, browny blacky. There arent skins that have the really light (i always though somewhat ugly) yellow the Metta Catherina could have, but I think that was an artefact of the immersion, and I havent seen a hide thats predominantly dark. Overall a reddy brown with black artifacts and scars, really attractive

9. EKarlsson

EKarlsson New Member

Hi guys

I need to new belts, so I figured I would try Equus (wich to me seems to be top of the line). I do, however, need some help to match the color of my shoes.

I currently own two pairs of dress shoes. One of them is mahogany brown (medium brown with a bit of red). Here’s a picture: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herring/chalcombe_derby-shoe/mahogany-calf
    Which one of Equus bridle leathers do you think is the closest? Australian nut? Conker? Hazel? (Personally I think the australian nut would be too dark and the hazel to light, so maybe conker?)

The other pair is dark brown (it’s very dark, but in daylight clearly not black). It’s the one called Coimbra: https://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/coll...ts/carlos-santos-patina-service#&gid=1&pid=11
    Australian nut? Dark havanna?
    Is there any possibility to get samples of the different colors? I don’t really trust my monitor.

Best regards,
    EKarlsson

10. Riva

Riva Senior member

The Herring matches better with Baker Oak Brown.

The Carlos Santos with Sedgewick Australian Nut.

11. Riva

Riva Senior member

I'd like to see photos of a finished wallet when they're available for sale. I've been making custom croc wallets of different colors but I guess I can add an 8th wallet [​IMG]

12. Equus Leather

Of course you can! Who could possibly not need an 8th wallet?? ;-)

Theyre available right now on the website - no photos of a completed wallet as yet because the leather only arrived just before Christmas. Lots of photos of the various styles that might help

If anyone has any thoughts on leather types they think is missing from the wallet range Id be interesting to hear suggestions. We've pretty much finalised an Alligator range thats definitely going to be stock 7 colours, 4 browns from light to dark, black, midnight blue and storm grey. For fun I might add Pillerbox Red and Emerald Green. There must be interesting things people would like though..

Charlie

13. kingguru

kingguru Active Member

Hello Charlie!

I've a Rentetsu belt in Bakers' Oak Brown that I wanted to get remade for some time now (I need it an inch longer hence a complete remake), so do you think it'd be a good idea to use Russian leather for that purpose? both buckle and leather are marvelous and idiosyncratic, but breeding them together is another story, thus your advice is needed. badly!

14. Equus Leather

Thats a rare buckle, theres about 50 in the world. We'd be very glad to remake it! The Russian leather could work, it would need to be an L&R style though, this is calf not cow so its c. 1.5mm thick. We can make a good chunky belt using it though and the colour scheme would work well really well with the buckle. Is it one of the original 1 5/8" versions? Its quite a big buckle if so so the strap needs to reflect the heft of the buckle. First step would be to send you a cutting of the leather maybe and see how you feel about it?

Charlie

15. Equus Leather

I'd say the Herrings are closest to Conker and would be quite a good match

The Coimbra looks like Dark Havanna superficially, but with more highlights. Its worth thinking about both Dark Havanna and Aus Nut, Id say the DH is closer overall though

Absoloutley re the Oak Brown - sometimes. I always like to caution people about buying Bakers to match with shoes. Its really variable, so even if you get samples you should match the overall character rather than go for a perfect colour match. If we made 100 belts from Oak Brown, all from the same leather from the same pit in the tannery at the same time I doubt more than 10 of them would be interchangable in colour. Really its the point of what they do. The leather is the colour that it wants to be.

16. kingguru

kingguru Active Member

That was quick! Enlightening, too. Thanks, Charlie, I'll e-mail you asap with the details.

17. Riva

Riva Senior member

I think it is still the best casual buckle you have ever offered.

18. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

That's going to be a special belt. I hope you share pics when it's done!

19. Riva

Riva Senior member

I think the requests for these are quite plenty:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Equus Leather

The blue we already have, the Olive I have a sample of and it probably will join the collection, even if not forever. The Himalaya Im just not sure about. Its very fashionable right now, but we've never stocked somthing for that reason only. The jury is out! Thank you for the suggestions!