1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Equinox Fees

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by SoCal2NYC, Mar 23, 2008.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

FWIW, I believe I currently pay $140 for all-access

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

FWIW, I believe I currently pay $140 for all-access

Which in all honesty is not a bad deal for NYC. I mean, it's the same price charged by the most expensive health club in Boca... and they don't have to pay the exuberant NYC rent prices (not to mention NYC utilities, taxes, etc... which are all higher than Boca / Palm Beach County).

3. yahtzee

yahtzee Member

I am curious about this too. I tried to get a membership this past summer while I was in NYC and they were impossible to deal with. Called to get a quote and they wouldn't tell me. Asked how much the Platinum card discount is 10%, etc. and they wouldn't tell me. Asked if I could talk with their membership consultants on the phone and they said no you must make an appointment.

Argh.. this was what I specifically did NOT want to deal with. It sounds like I'll need to stop in and check things out. Really didn't want to hear a slimy sales pitch.

4. gdl203

Argh.. this was what I specifically did NOT want to deal with. It sounds like I'll need to stop in and check things out. Really didn't want to hear a slimy sales pitch.

Why on earth would you NOT want to see the facilities if you're considering joining? [​IMG]

5. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

I'm in chicago and my company built the building the equinox is in, so we get it for $100/month. They usually aren't negotiable on price, but with paying upfront (1100 for 12 months) and telling them to start your membership the following month, my weighted average cost/month is $84.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

That's probably why they won't give prices over the phone.

7. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

I live in soho, and I can tell you the west village and soho equinox charge $140 and a $300 initiation fee JUST to go to those clubs. Which is a complete ripoff, even for NYC.

For the best value chain gym, I'd HIGLY recommend 24hour fitness, which is pretty much the best gym I've ever joined (and I am a huge gym snob). It's down the block from the Equinox in soho, is bigger, has better equipment, and is less then half the price and a quarter of the intiation fee.

8. gdl203

IMO, the #1 issue with NYC gyms in general is over-population. Unfortunately, the basic premises of supply & demand curves and willingness-to-pay makes the more affordable ones unbearably filled with people at all times. This is the single only reason I switched to Equinox - shifted a little bit on the curve and resulted in a real difference in crowd level.

Equinox waives the initiation fees for pretty much anyone - just need to ask.

9. yahtzee

yahtzee Member

Why on earth would you NOT want to see the facilities if you're considering joining? [​IMG]
    Oh I will definitely see the facilities, however I wanted some fee figures before I go in. I don't want to wait hear a number when I am there and then have it slammed with a bunch of statements right after like "ohh.. but this your health." I want a figure ahead of time so I can go in with some idea of what to try to knock the number down to. It sounds like they may be hurting for business.. it's worth the effort to negotiate the monthly fee.
    For the best value chain gym, I'd HIGLY recommend 24hour fitness, which is pretty much the best gym I've ever joined (and I am a huge gym snob). It's down the block from the Equinox in soho, is bigger, has better equipment, and is less then half the price and a quarter of the intiation fee.
    This chain isn't in my area. I did a search by zip code on their site and it said "no facilities within 50 miles." Which is kind of surprising... I'm in the metro DC area.

10. fredfred

fredfred Senior member

All health clubs have seen a decline in membership due to the economy.

LA Sports Club is the nicest club in NYC - but they are rather pricey. I think the joining fee is $2300 or something, then monthly fees.

It'll cost $140 - or maybe 10-15% off if you get a discount. Insist they waive the enrollment fee and they will. Their price is in line with what you get. It's a nicer place than cruch/nysc, but it costs more.

11. yahtzee

yahtzee Member

All health clubs have seen a decline in membership due to the economy.

LA Sports Club is the nicest club in NYC - but they are rather pricey. I think the joining fee is $2300 or something, then monthly fees.

It'll cost $140 - or maybe 10-15% off if you get a discount. Insist they waive the enrollment fee and they will. Their price is in line with what you get. It's a nicer place than cruch/nysc, but it costs more.

Hmm... thanks for the information. It seems the enrollment fee can be waived pretty easily it sounds from a few other posters. Looking to get the monthly fee to $100/mo.

12. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

I pay $79/month at the NYSC. I try to go after 8pm so that I don't have to wait forever to bench. Sunday mornings isn't too bad either, crowd wise.

13. Boston Tweed

Boston Tweed Senior member

I was a member in Boston with a corporate rate and I was paying around $90/month. It is now $110 a month, which is still on the absolute high end of the Boston market. I know that the club is at around 50% of their membership targets after being open for two years, so they are hurting.

I will also second (or third, or fifth) the comments on them that their sales reps are awful. My girlfriend joined and got my rate since she knew to ask for it. She was a member for a month then the cancelled her signed contract since the rate was too low (no joke). They did this a day after billing her for the next month and she had to get Amex involved to receive a refund. For a "luxury" brand their service leaves a LOT to be desired and I hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

14. Night Owl

Night Owl Senior member

I can get you equinox membership for $60 a month

15. yahtzee

yahtzee Member

I was a member in Boston with a corporate rate and I was paying around $90/month. It is now $110 a month, which is still on the absolute high end of the Boston market. I know that the club is at around 50% of their membership targets after being open for two years, so they are hurting.

I will also second (or third, or fifth) the comments on them that their sales reps are awful. My girlfriend joined and got my rate since she knew to ask for it. She was a member for a month then the canceled her signed contract since the rate was too low (no joke).

Ha... that must have been interesting. I've read about the corporate rate being around 90 bucks.

I can get you equinox membership for $60 a month

Uhh... for real? Details please.

16. plhoang

plhoang Well-Known Member

In NYC, my membership levels (awful corporate rate) were $110 single club, $136 multi-club (no flagships), and $156 all access. No initiation.

17. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

In addition to the Parks & Rec (joined for the 25 yard pool, something many health clubs don't have), I also joined Soma in S. Williamsburg. About $80/mo. Various classes I have not yet tried. Very underpopulated at all hours; no waits for any bench or machine ever.

18. Night Owl

Night Owl Senior member

Ha... that must have been interesting. I've read about the corporate rate being around 90 bucks.

Uhh... for real? Details please.

whats your email address

19. Night Owl

Night Owl Senior member

20. gdl203