EP's Denim by Epaulet Official Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Epaulet, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

What are some of the characteristics of the 12oz Cone Mill indigo denim? How will that denim evolve with wear?

2. blynch

blynch Senior member

Another cone mill question: is this 12oz cone denim similar to Ande Whal's 14oz(I think) cone denim he used to use? I really don't know anything about cone denim, so I'm not sure if most of their denim is similar or if it varies a lot, but I have a pair of the AWs cone denim so a comparison could be helpful.

3. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

What are some of the characteristics of the 12oz Cone Mill indigo denim? How will that denim evolve with wear?

Another cone mill question: is this 12oz cone denim similar to Ande Whal's 14oz(I think) cone denim he used to use? I really don't know anything about cone denim, so I'm not sure if most of their denim is similar or if it varies a lot, but I have a pair of the AWs cone denim so a comparison could be helpful.

Hmm, it's hard to say. Cone Mills White Oak has the great reputation for consistently execellent denim that fades and wears well. To me, this feels very much like a "standard denim" Whereas the deadstock Cone Indigo is thick and sort of slubby - along the lines of a Japanese repro - this has a lighter and softer hand. The denim is a good medium weight and will be comfortable to wear in the Spring & Summer.

For anyone who bought the EP's Kurabo black, the weight and hand of the denim feels a lot like that.

I've never personally seen a pair of Ande Whall's, but given the weight difference, I'd say that the 14oz deadstock indigo is more comparable to that. This will probably have a lighter feel.

4. givemefive

givemefive Senior member

I soaked my EP's tonight again because they are so starched down. Guess I should have just washed them but whatever. My room smells like a textile mill for sure.

Self Edge hacked off a good 2 inches and was able to chain stich them in a similar navy thread so I was super happy about that. I'll put up some pics when they are dry and I get a chance.

5. theom-

theom- Senior member

for anyone who has the streaky pair:
    Is the denim similar to the Crate Route denim of SS09?

6. Epaulet

I soaked my EP's tonight again because they are so starched down. Guess I should have just washed them but whatever. My room smells like a textile mill for sure.

Self Edge hacked off a good 2 inches and was able to chain stich them in a similar navy thread so I was super happy about that. I'll put up some pics when they are dry and I get a chance.

Awesome - looking forward to the pics!

And yes, Self Edge does a mean chain stitch hemming job if anyone's in the market for one. We send all of our local customers to SENY for any denim work.

for anyone who has the streaky pair:
    Is the denim similar to the Crate Route denim of SS09?

I'm not familiar with the Crate Routes, but this is the same streaky denim that Nudie used to use for their "Straight Sven Flame Selvedge" jeans. I wouldn't be surprised if Crate used it to - Cone Mills has been running it off for a few years now.

7. nonissue

nonissue Senior member

Mike, will the streaky denim fade like a regular indigo denim?

8. Epaulet

Mike, will the streaky denim fade like a regular indigo denim?
    Yes and no - you'll get the usual whiskers and honeycombs, but they'll have their own vertical fade. A few years ago, I wore the hell out of a pair of Nudie's in this exact denim. At the time, they were the most comfortable jeans that I had, and I liked that the streaky denim had a unique look. It was a way to get a jean with some color variations and texture, but still have the possibility to buy it raw and wear it in myself. I searched out an image on MyNudies.com of a faded Nudie Straight Sven jean in this same denim: PLEASE NOTE EVERYONE: THIS IS NOT THE EP'S SMITH JEAN. DON'T LET THAT BIG LEG OPENING SCARE YOU! Originally Posted by DrZ View Post [30/32] Straight Sven Limited Edition (Svenska) Worn for about a year, 25 days a month, 1 dryclean at 9 months, 1 wash at 1 year. [​IMG] [​IMG] See more pics in the original post...

9. nonissue

nonissue Senior member

You're a champ! Thanks for the awesome (and quick) reply.

Those look sick too. Gonna make an order next month for my birthday.

10. tizim

tizim Well-Known Member

I was about to order another pair of NS since I outgrew my old ones, but then I found this thread on the front page. A big thanks to whoever bumped this thread! I've got a pair in the mail now and I'm super stoked... BTW, I'm guessing we're not supposed to soak these before wearing?

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

When will the measurements for the Hoyt come around?

12. Julian84

Julian84 Well-Known Member

Yes and no - you'll get the usual whiskers and honeycombs, but they'll have their own vertical fade. A few years ago, I wore the hell out of a pair of Nudie's in this exact denim. At the time, they were the most comfortable jeans that I had, and I liked that the streaky denim had a unique look. It was a way to get a jean with some color variations and texture, but still have the possibility to buy it raw and wear it in myself.

I searched out an image on MyNudies.com of a faded Nudie Straight Sven jean in this same denim:

PLEASE NOTE EVERYONE: THIS IS NOT THE EP'S SMITH JEAN. DON'T LET THAT BIG LEG OPENING SCARE YOU!

Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    [30/32] Straight Sven Limited Edition (Svenska)
    Worn for about a year, 25 days a month, 1 dryclean at 9 months, 1 wash at 1 year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See more pics in the original post...

God damn those look bad ass, can't wait to get a pair of these.

13. todot62

todot62 Active Member

I went through the thread and I never saw if you posted the rear rise measurements. Could you tell me what the rear rise is for a 32 in the EP Smith and also what your shooting for in the Hoyt? At my age, the rise makes a big difference for me as far as comfort is concerned. [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Tod

14. givemefive

givemefive Senior member

it's 13" after 2 soaks on a 30.

can't imagine it'd be a lot more than 13.25-5 on a 32

15. Nopike343

Nopike343 Senior member

The back rise on my 33's measures 14".
    someone posted this earlier. I'm hoping for another inch or so on the Hoyts.