• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EpauletxAlden Special Make Up Thread

Which make up would you commit to from EpauletxAlden?

• #4 Tanker - Barrie Last, All Eyelets, Antique Edge, Commando Sole

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • #4 Tanker - Tremont Last, All Eyelets, Antique Edge, Commando Sole

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Scotch Grain Calf Tanker - Barrie Last, All Eyelets, Antique Edge, Commando Sole

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Scotch Grain Calf Tanker - Tremont Last, All Eyelets, Antique Edge, Commando Sole

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • #4 LWB - Barrie Last, Double Leather Sole, Antique Edge

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • #4 LWB - Tremont Last, Double Leather Sole, Antique Edge

Votes: 19 24.7%

• Total voters

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know about Tom's Jumpers, but I am not a fan of brown chromexcel, it has too much red in it for my tastes. I approached Mike about the tumbled calf in dark brown, since Tom seems to stick with what sell the best for him, while Mike does not mind doing smaller special runs of designs for people. Maybe we can see if he will do a black and a brown. Mike also suggested a commando sole, but the tumbled calf seems to be more suited to a leather sole and not the clunky commando sole.

sfactor23

Reaction score
I know about Tom's Jumpers, but I am not a fan of brown chromexcel, it has too much red in it for my tastes. I approached Mike about the tumbled calf in dark brown, since Tom seems to stick with what sell the best for him, while Mike does not mind doing smaller special runs of designs for people. Maybe we can see if he will do a black and a brown. Mike also suggested a commando sole, but the tumbled calf seems to be more suited to a leather sole and not the clunky commando sole.

could you do me a favor and post a picture of a pair of shoes that are made from tumbled calf in dark brown? I have to admit I'm not sure what that leather looks like
shog[1].gif

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

could you do me a favor and post a picture of a pair of shoes that are made from tumbled calf in dark brown? I have to admit I'm not sure what that leather looks like
shog%5B1%5D.gif

I will take a pic of my LWB in tumbled calf and post them.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

shog%5B1%5D.gif

Tumbled calf.
94fd3050_IMG_3293.jpeg

sfactor23

Reaction score
shog%5B1%5D.gif

I will take a pic of my LWB in tumbled calf and post them.

Tumbled calf.
94fd3050_IMG_3293.jpeg

Mr. K, I see what you are saying: you're right, this is different than brown CXL - you're right, this would make a nice jumper -

Thanks, Zippyh -

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the LWB I have in tumbled calf. It is form the LS pics.

It a great leather that feels comfortable form day one. The LWB is on the flex sole and it great. The brown is a dark solid brown, unlike the redish tint to the chromexcel. I envisioned a jumper that was light weight and comfortable from day one. I think we could ask Mike to do two different version, one with brown on a flex sole and a black with the commando sole. I think we could get enough people for both styles.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would be up for the jumper if it was in black -

LS is supposed to be getting in Ultimate Jumpers in brown CXL sometime in April or May - if you are looking for a brown jumper with a double oiled waterlock leather sole, you might want to contact Tom or Bryan ASAP. Here is the link as to what they look like:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2011/02/03/the-ultimate-jumper-boot-lsw-lsbh/

Quite frankly, I think they are fantastic and am anxiously awaiting my pair.

A black jumper, on the other hand, is something Tom has shown reluctance to offer: LS offered black jumpers in lady calf end of August '10 and, even though they sold out, Tom said it "wasn't a best seller"  and "really can’t say if/when we will reorder this" (I'm not criticizing him, merely quoting him).
If you want to see for yourself, go here:
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2010/08/29/alden-shoes-lady-calf-jumper-boots/
(see Tom's comments on 12/12 regarding the above quotes)

I respectfully forward the idea of a black jumper, blind eyelets and pull tab (of course), commando sole, trubalance last -

keep it simple, keep it comfortable, keep it classic -

if you want to jazz it up a little, I also think that these jumpers, but with an antique trim, might look rich, too -

The Jumpers were also offered in black shell from LS. But you are right, they seem to be reluctant to offer them again in that color, or in any shell, for that matter, at this time.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love my jumper boots (in case you couldn't tell from every other fit pic of mine is in em). Those would be two interesting make-ups...depending on my finances, I may be interested in the black.

Last edited:

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the two make-ups I was PM'd Mike about. I think both would work and give a choice for both the crowd that likes brown and the those that like black. I hope we can get both done. I would pass on the black, but be the first to put my money down on the brown. I would love a shell jump boot but I just cannot justify the cost since I wear boots for maybe 3-4 months of the year and maybe once a week at that.

1. Dark Brown Lady Calf
Trubalance last
Antique Edge
Single leather oiled sole
Self colored Eyelets
Rear pull loop

2. Black Lady Calf
Trubalance last
Antique Ege
Commando Sole
Self Colored Eyelets
Rear Pull Loop

atomicsippycup

Reaction score
Hmm, if you don't mind me asking, why the single leather sole and not a double? I think a boot would look better with a double leather sole.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm, if you don't mind me asking, why the single leather sole and not a double? I think a boot would look better with a double leather sole.

It does not have to be single. We can go double. The single is just more flexible and light weight

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

2. Black Pebble Grain Calf or Shell
Trubalance last
Antique Edge storm welt
Commando Sole/Double Leather
Self Colored Eyelets
Rear Pull Loop

I think the Lady calf is too dainty for a boot like this. These are meant to be **** kickers...

C, I think you'll find the shell would be worth the extra $300 for a boot, just for maintenance purposes. I hate having to clean/polish my shoes, which is why I prefer shell. Just a quick brushing and they're good to go. Every once in a while a 10 minute Mac method and bingo, good as new.

sfactor23

Reaction score
I think the Lady calf is too dainty for a boot like this. These are meant to be **** kickers...
C, I think you'll find the shell would be worth the extra $300 for a boot, just for maintenance purposes. I hate having to clean/polish my shoes, which is why I prefer shell. Just a quick brushing and they're good to go. Every once in a while a 10 minute Mac method and bingo, good as new.

I agree that these are meant to be **** kickers; I also understand the concerns about using shell - that said, and especially because we are going through Epaulet with this, how about requesting "Pegasus" leather (like that used by Epaulet in their Black and Tan Indys)? I have a pair, and the leather is definitely hardier than calf, seem to be lower maintenance than calf skin (haven't needed to polish them yet, just brushing them), and holds up well in rain. Only concern: I don't know if this leather is available in brown ...

Just in case someone sees this and doesn't know what the Black and Tans look like, here you go:

Last edited:

sfactor23

Reaction score
Quote:

also, I think I prefer the black edge, over the antique edge - to me, it gives it more of a classic look. However, it's not a deal breaker.

To me, I think what I'm really after is the LS lady calf jumpers, but "improving" it by using the "Pegasus" leather and a commando sole - to me, this keeps the simple aesthetic beauty of the boot, while making it more rugged/practical (at least for the weather here in the Northeast) ...

so, in case someone sees this but doesn't know what the LS black lady calf jumpers look like, here you go (just visualize matted leather and a commando sole, and I think you'll understand my idea) -

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see what he says about the black pair for a different leather and make-up. I will be the first to admit my first choice is the brown because that is the color I would buy. I have not heard back yet on if he will do 2 of them, but i am sure he will help us out. I live in the South and that is why I like the double oiled sole, since I see little snow and the comfort and flexibility is most important to me. I have talked with others in warmer climates also that like the lighter boot also. I am just hoping that we can get both made to get as many people happy as possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads