• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EpauletxAlden Special Make Up Thread

Which make up would you commit to from EpauletxAlden?

• #4 Tanker - Barrie Last, All Eyelets, Antique Edge, Commando Sole

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • #4 Tanker - Tremont Last, All Eyelets, Antique Edge, Commando Sole

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Scotch Grain Calf Tanker - Barrie Last, All Eyelets, Antique Edge, Commando Sole

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Scotch Grain Calf Tanker - Tremont Last, All Eyelets, Antique Edge, Commando Sole

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • #4 LWB - Barrie Last, Double Leather Sole, Antique Edge

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • #4 LWB - Tremont Last, Double Leather Sole, Antique Edge

Votes: 19 24.7%

• Total voters

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly, #4 is out for choice of cordovan, so shoe people need to regroup.
Updates for the special order shoe vote.
So far we have 13 votes, 6 for SWB and 4 for LWB with a few scattered PTBs. The overwhelming choice for color is cigar. Leydon last is the sure winner. Tight race between Waterloc and commando soles. I assume the edging will be antique, not sure about the welt but I don't have a preference. Let's keep the votes coming.

There are only a few variations I *wouldn't* be in for, so I won't re-vote. My vote for commando can stand, and I dig cigar.

However, I will say I'll be passing on either 1) any PTB make up and 2) anything w/ a flat welt. The welt may seem less important to some, but it's a key detail for me.

abam

Reaction score
There are only a few variations I *wouldn't* be in for, so I won't re-vote. My vote for commando can stand, and I dig cigar.
However, I will say I'll be passing on either 1) any PTB make up and 2) anything w/ a flat welt. The welt may seem less important to some, but it's a key detail for me.

I second this. I'd be down for a Cigar shoe with a few caveats:

1) Not down for a LWB. I'd prefer a SWB.
2) Would be down for a Plain Toe if it were different from the stock plain toes (Below examples: one has brass eyelets, one has a different blucher attachment)

Last edited:

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My guess would be around the $700 range.

Yeah, I figured that would be the current price, but if I'm going to put down a $350 non-refundable deposit, I'm going to need some sort of cost certainty on the final price. 12-18 months is a long time, there could be 2-3 price increases from Alden in that time frame, plus, what if the cost of shell somehow goes up significantly in that time frame? What if there are delays and even more price increases from Alden before the shoes are done?

If the deposit was refundable in the event of significant price increases and/or significant delays, then I wouldn't be concerned at all. But I don't want, for a worst-case hypothetical example, to be paying $900 for these boots 3 years down the road.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I figured that would be the current price, but if I'm going to put down a $350 non-refundable deposit, I'm going to need some sort of cost certainty on the final price. 12-18 months is a long time, there could be 2-3 price increases from Alden in that time frame, plus, what if the cost of shell somehow goes up significantly in that time frame? What if there are delays and even more price increases from Alden before the shoes are done?
If the deposit was refundable in the event of significant price increases and/or significant delays, then I wouldn't be concerned at all. But I don't want, for a worst-case hypothetical example, to be paying $900 for these boots 3 years down the road.

I totally agree with you. There's a lot of pricing risk. I was surprised that the price is set when the boot is delivered to Epaulet, not when Epaulet places the order with Alden.

The boot would cost around $700 if offered today. Alden seems to be increasing prices 5%-10% per year. If you assume it takes 2 years to get made up, costs $700 in today's dollars, and Alden increases prices by 5% both years, the price would be $770. If the increase is 8% in both years then the price would be $815 :crazy:

Last edited:

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would think that by placing an order now would lock in the today's prices.

gracian

Reaction score

I've created a poll to see if we can get consensus for a special makeup Alden shoe. Forgive me if this doesn't work right it's my first time creating with Google docs.
Please vote here for your choices:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFFxTEo2ZHFURkNBMFc4S3ZhVnlvckE6MQ
See results here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqFYBqDlx5CudFFxTEo2ZHFURkNBMFc4S3ZhVnlvckE
Let me know if there are any major choices I've left out.

Update:

Total of 16 votes for a special makeup show now. SWB's got 7 votes, LWB 5 votes, PTB 4 votes. The most popular SWB was the cigar with waterloc sole in the Leydon last. Most popular LWB was cigar, commando sole and Leydon last. Mike, what do you think? Do we have enough interest to have this SWB made up?

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I totally agree with you. There's a lot of pricing risk. I was surprised that the price is set when the boot is delivered to Epaulet, not when Epaulet places the order with Alden.
The boot would cost around $700 if offered today. Alden seems to be increasing prices 5%-10% per year. If you assume it takes 2 years to get made up, costs $700 in today's dollars, and Alden increases prices by 5% both years, the price would be $770. If the increase is 8% in both years then the price would be $815 :crazy:

If that is the case, I don't understand why the deposit can't be refundable if there is a significant price increase from now. It's not like any of these vendors has difficulty selling rare color shell boots off of the shelf.

When I placed a rare color shell preorder with J. Gilbert, they required a $200 non-refundable deposit, but they gave me a final price, and placing the order locked in that price for me. Leather Soul operates under the same policy as well. When I placed a rare shell preorder with Alden DC, they were not able to give a final price, but they did not require a deposit, and they gave me the opportunity to opt out if I was unhappy with the price, timeline, or make-up once the order was done.

All of the other vendors that I've preordered rare shell Aldens through have offered either cost certainty or the ability to opt-out. Having neither would make me uncomfortable in proceeding with a preorder.

i would think that by placing an order now would lock in the today's prices.

I hope that is the case, but the preorder page makes no mention of a final price. Epaulet still has not responded to my initial post asking about the final price, I'm hoping to get some sort of answer from them to help me make a final decision to preorder or not.

Last edited:

abam

Reaction score
Update:
Total of 16 votes for a special makeup show now. SWB's got 7 votes, LWB 5 votes, PTB 4 votes. The most popular SWB was the cigar with waterloc sole in the Leydon last. Most popular LWB was cigar, commando sole and Leydon last. Mike, what do you think? Do we have enough interest to have this SWB made up?

So we're back to the original makeup?

• Cigar
  • SWB
  • Leydon Last
  • Double Waterloc Sole
  • 360 Welt
  • Antique Edge Trim
  • Blind Eyelets

gracian

Reaction score

So we're back to the original makeup?

• Cigar
  • SWB
  • Leydon Last
  • Double Waterloc Sole
  • 360 Welt
  • Antique Edge Trim
  • Blind Eyelets
Yea, pretty close. I do feel the Leyden last is a bit sleeker than the Barrie. I would suggest a single thickness Waterloc sole instead, but I'm flexible.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If that is the case, I don't understand why the deposit can't be refundable if there is a significant price increase from now. It's not like any of these vendors has difficulty selling rare color shell boots off of the shelf.
When I placed a rare color shell preorder with J. Gilbert, they required a $200 non-refundable deposit, but they gave me a final price, and placing the order locked in that price for me. Leather Soul operates under the same policy as well. When I placed a rare shell preorder with Alden DC, they were not able to give a final price, but they did not require a deposit, and they gave me the opportunity to opt out if I was unhappy with the price, timeline, or make-up once the order was done.
All of the other vendors that I've preordered rare shell Aldens through have offered either cost certainty or the ability to opt-out. Having neither would make me uncomfortable in proceeding with a preorder.
I hope that is the case, but the preorder page makes no mention of a final price. Epaulet still has not responded to my initial post asking about the final price, I'm hoping to get some sort of answer from them to help me make a final decision to preorder or not.

The perorder page very clearly lists the pricing policy:

PRICING & TERMS
1. By placing this order, you will submit a $350 non-refundable deposit. This is approximately 50% of the final retail price of these boots, but that is subject to change according to Alden. When the boots are delivered, you will be billed for the balance of the retail price, which will be set according to the prevailing MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) for an equivalent style at that time. Cedar shoe trees will be included with the boots at no extra cost.

I can't see any way to interpret that, than I how I did in my previous post. The cost is set at delivery.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The perorder page very clearly lists the pricing policy:
PRICING & TERMS
1. By placing this order, you will submit a $350 non-refundable deposit. This is approximately 50% of the final retail price of these boots, but that is subject to change according to Alden. When the boots are delivered, you will be billed for the balance of the retail price, which will be set according to the prevailing MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) for an equivalent style at that time. Cedar shoe trees will be included with the boots at no extra cost.
I can't see any way to interpret that, than I how I did in my previous post. The cost is set at delivery.

That makes sense, I did not see that part of the preorder policy before.

Are you going to do it?

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be fair to Epaulet, although there is pricing uncertainty, in many ways, you are getting a better 'deal' from Epaulet when doing a preorder such as this. Considering Alden just raised their prices and they have been consistently going up 5% every year, you are only really likely to see one price hike from Alden while we wait for this preorder to come in. So on a $700 pair of boots, you may see an increase of $35 in the 12 - 18 months before these boots come in, i.e. Feb. 2013 - Aug. 2013. If $35 makes a significant difference, maybe $700 boots is not a wise investment. Also, Epaulet does free shipping (which Leffot, Alden DC, and LS all charge between $12 - 25 for) and Mike noted on the preorder page that he will throw in a pair of shoe trees as well, which run me at least $15 - 20; so you still come out ahead even if a price isn't currently locked in. Further, Epaulet's prices for Aldens are super competitive, so you aren't getting taken advantage there either. So all in all, I think its a pretty good deal. Most importantly, Mike is willing to work with us in putting together these preorders, which is pretty unique.

And don't forget, you are getting a sick unique makeup that other retailers won't have. I can understand the pricing uncertainty is not ideal, but I think its a pretty great opportunity nonetheless. If you love the boot, you should go for it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads