• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulets

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Anyone else here think these are stupid? Such pointless ornamental crap. They've become like the male version of a bow, except bows usually tie something at least.

No insult intended towards the SF affiliate.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you are a few years behind the curve on this one. I havent seen epaulets put on anything really post 08.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
the cities i work and live in must be a few seasons behind the times. thank god!

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, on the non designer side of things here, about 06-08 Epaulets were on everything, I mean everything, t-shirts, military style shirts, jackets (even not military inspired), polos, probably hid some on some pants somewhere. Now walking through the department stores you dont see them on much more than just your average trench or M65

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I used to like them, but they became too superfluous since about 2 years ago. It's been hard finding OTR stuff without them lately, especially for winter coats.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Fortunately I don't own or purchase anything with them.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love epaulets. have 3 military shirts with epaulets, and several military jackets with epaulets. great ornament. very cool.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I used to like them, but they became too superfluous since about 2 years ago. It's been hard finding OTR stuff without them lately, especially for winter coats.

Yeah, they're everywhere, on shirts especially. Don't like 'em at all.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Fortunately I don't own or purchase anything with them.

Likewise. Automatic "no" on anything with 'em, including trench coats. They'd be cool to tuck in my flight cap, if I had one, otherwise I don't see the point.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^pretty much, they are often used by designers without any real talent ie. rl as a design detail

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In before whodini - they are technically passants, not epaulets. They have been overused and abused, as have a lot of other military details, but they have their place. They make sense on military jackets, field or dress, for example, or on uniform shirts. But on a tee shirt or something jersey? Or a hoodie? The worst offenders are definitely mid-tier designers and "streetwear" designers who haven't done their research. I saw an unholy amalgam of preppy and military not so long ago. Sort of a Holden Caufield blazer with a crest and... epaulets. WTF?

Burr130

Reaction score
i think having them on a couple of pieces of clothing in your wardrobe (button up shirt or two and maybe a jacket) isn't all that bad. I wouldn't say completely disown the thing.

I do however, think they don't look all that great on peacoats presently.

dzerzhinsky

Reaction score
+1 to the hate although they can be appropriate. I think it's very hard to find coats/jackets that don't have superfluous detailing, whether epaulettes, buttons, zippers. I can see how a military-inspired look is masculine, but unless it is based on an actual Army design (i.e. APC doing the French F2, the m65 etc) then it's basically adolescent costume-play.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dzerzhinsky
+1 to the hate although they can be appropriate. I think it's very hard to find coats/jackets that don't have superfluous detailing, whether epaulettes, buttons, zippers. I can see how a military-inspired look is masculine, but unless it is based on an actual Army design (i.e. APC doing the French F2, the m65 etc) then it's basically adolescent costume-play.

agree. plus, wearing army gear if you aren't actually in the army is a costume.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads