Epaulet x Carmina MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by NAMOR, Dec 4, 2011.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

looks like robert last actually

2. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Since these bal boots have already been made by Carmina, it would be a very easy order for them. Mike...any ideas how much these would cost?

3. sask boot

sask boot Senior member

Does anyone have any clear pictures of carmina chestnut cordovan? Any pictures would be appreciated.

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

5. sask boot

sask boot Senior member

Epaulets pictures are fantastic and thank you but I was looking for any other models out there. Different batches of cordovan can have different shades so I just want to compare as many as I can.

My mistake, I should have asked that question with more details.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

6. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

That color variance is definitely true with most colors of shell cordovan, but most Chestnut shell (some other vendors call it Cognac) is actually pretty consistent. It's a rich dark brown with a very slight reddish cast. I'd say that the Fitzgerald style that we photographed will be pretty spot-on for how the bal boot will make up.

We're going to do the Navy shell brogue on the Rain last, so the shape will be identical to the Snuff suede model that we ran this Spring.

In terms of the leather, the Navy shell Westminster that Leffot ran with Edward Green is a good guideline to how it will look (pic borrowed from Steven's site:)
    [​IMG]

Navy shell has some variance in color. Some of it makes up quite dark - a true midnight blue like these double monks. Some of it has a slightly more vivid navy cast. But its still way darker and closer to black than the typical navy leather shoe. And it ages beautifully. I have those Edward Greens and with wear, you'll see the navy start to come through more and more - especially on the creases.

Absolutely, here's everything that we have scheduled:

On Order for 7/15:
    Sinclair Wingtip Boot in Chestnut Shell
    The Steinbeck (Sinclair with York sole and storm welt) in Brown CXL
    The Thompson PTB in Natural CXL
    A new Single Monk in Chestnut Shell
    The Salinger Double Monk in Color #8 Shell
    New Handsewn Penny loafers in Caramel Calf and Snuff Suede
    Restocks of the Salinger in caramel, chocolate, saddle, and snuff. Restocks of the Fitzgerald in chocolate calf and Chestnut shell.

On Order for 9/15
    Thompson PTB in cognac scotch grain and brass eyelets
    "Black and Tan" Carver Chelsea boot in black calf with natural edgetrim and dainite sole

MTO Projects to go online next week
    Navy Shell Austerity Brogue Rain Last
    Navy Shell Double Monk Inca or Rain Last
    Calf/Suede Combo Bal Boot Forest Last

MTO Projects being discussed
    Cognac Python Skin Austerity Brogue Rain Last
    Some kind of completely ass-kicking Jodphur boot
    All pebble grain bal boot
    Some makeups on our exclusive Sinclair/Steinbeck Wingtip boot pattern

OK! I'm still catching up after our trip to charming but no-so-sunny Austria, but I'll work to get the three MTO Projects scheduled up in the next few days.

And I'm happy to say that the Chestnut bal boot is totally confirmed for production. We've received more than enough orders already to meet the minimum, and it's still open for a few more days. Guys always seem to order on the last day (lord knows, I always do this), so I anticipate that we'll have a nice run for this style.

7. sask boot

sask boot Senior member

Thank you Mike for the information. Have you seen the carmina boots on the Horween blog? They describe it as cognac. Would that be another example of the color? I want to say I am so excited that my first Carminas will be your amazing boot design! Thank you for doing this. I have a feeling after these there will be many more carminas on my shoeracks!

8. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Cognac and Chestnut are pretty much the same - some brands just use the terms interchangeably. This dark brown shell is the color that's available to non-Alden manufacturers, so if you see brown shell styles from Edward Green, Crockett & Jones, Vass, etc, you can get an idea for the range. Some shells will be a bit darker or a bit lighter, a bit more reddish, but it's pretty consistent from my experience. A lot of the variance that you see will be more due to photography (shell is reflective and hard to capture) than actual differences in leather color.

That said, lighter colors like Saddle can vary greatly. We've done two runs of saddle double monks and the second run came out significantly darker than the first. Navy can sometimes be a dark navy or a really dark midnight. Luckily, shell shoes are awesome looking regardless of the exact color shade.

And thanks for the kind words! I'd love to take credit for this style, but it's a boot that Carmina has offered for MTO for a few years now. I'm merely the conduit for them :). But you'll be delighted with them. We've gotten incredible feedback on the Carmina shoes, and the majority of our customers for them are first-time buyers.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

9. runningfrog

runningfrog Senior member

Will there be another restock later this year of the Fitzgerald in Chestnut shell? I'm debating whether to jump on this restock or wait until the fall.

I'm definitely in for the cognac python austerity brogue. :slayer:

10. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Thank you so much for your hard work Mike! I'm excited about the Navy Shell Double Monks on the Rain last & Pebble grain bal boot.:D

11. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Can you tell me more about this? Is it a balmoral or derby style lacing? Leather or rubber soles? Which last? Any pictures? So, this arrives at your store in the middle of July? And what price are we talking about?

12. 0waterbouys

0waterbouys Senior member

You've got my vote for these! I think this is a really unique, bold makeup and would love to have these for fall/winter. Those are just stunning.... wow.

And what price would we be looking at for the combo suede/calf bal boot?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Probably same as this design wise, but a different color: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1544/Sinclair-Shortwing-Boot-Saddle/Detail

You can find pictures of the chestnut makeups without much effort too...

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1313/Fitzgerald-Shortwing-Chestnut-Shell/Detail

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

14. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

15. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Anybody have pics of navy shell being worn in the wild?