1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by NAMOR, Dec 4, 2011.

1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

^, and ^^. Second thoughts of both rmspawn and CHRK33 above. Might be worth considering the #4ish color, though I suppose ultimately it's not #4. It's Carmina's dark red.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

So for the Balmoral Boot

Color: Dark Cognac (Brown), or Red, or Scotch
    Sole: Dainite or Double Leather
    Last: Robert (Mr. Chengs brown boot pictured with the punched captoe)
    Lacing: No preference on metal vs blind but we need speedhooks on a balmoral. I feel like this is a must.

My balmoral boots have never pulled a hem. Ever. However, my Alden boots do. The balmoral boot is snug around my ankle and thus takes up less space underneath my pant leg. Plus, Balmoral speedhooks are slimmer. Its not an issue.

I'm actually I fan of speedhooks on Balmoral boots because without them, it would be difficult getting the boots on and off. Think straight jacket for your feet.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. mymil

mymil Senior member

I'd be happy to investigate tonight. I'm nearly positive they are blind metal eyelets, but I will double-check.

4. captainfunk

captainfunk Senior member

It looks like we headed toward two different shell makeups. For namor's bal boot this makes sense, but as Mike said— it would give people more options if we can one shell, one non-shell option, both of which affect price and delivery time. Have any of you seen Carminas french calfskin in person? Apparently it's phenomenal.

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I continue to support calf in the shoe (though I may end up placing an order for the boot as well)

6. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Having seen the calf in person, I can attest to its spectacular - ness. Really amazing.

I imagine their suede is equally impressive, so that's why I was pushing that or chamois. Something different and unique.

Their calfskins are generally available from their website and Mike is likely to continue to do calfskin every order. We might as well push the envelope on something unique that Mike might not otherwise do without a built in preorder list, i.e. dark red or navy shell, navy oiled nubuck, chamois, etc.

7. rmspawn

rmspawn Senior member

While I don't entirely oppose the idea of a #4/dark red boot, I find it the least versatile of the colors we are considering. My personal (if not ridiculous) preference aside, everything else seems to be moving along well with this boot. Are we leaning more toward a punched cap toe or a straight tip at the moment? Either would be fine by me but I already own more of the prior than the latter.

Still on team dark cognac followed by scotch and dark red. :slayer:

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

No split toes in any combination please.

9. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Do you know how much of a pain these would be to lace with all blind eyes? The Ed Green Shannon is blind eyes and hooks. The hooks on these are way up there - snagging should not be a problem.

10. JPFNY5

JPFNY5 Senior member

I would agree with these options. Something Unique that maybe they have never done before!

11. iroh

iroh Senior member

yes, i like these boots, bring them back, they are perfect

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. scb

scb Senior member

hooks look the same to me if dark red is #4 or #6, I might have to be in on this...just hope I can get my width figured out in these

13. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

So how are going to do this? Kgmessier did this for a special Alden makeup and the process went pretty well. He let the forum go for a certain amount of time with suggestions then created a google spreadsheet where we voted.
    Like Namor, I'm down for a balmoral boot, preferrably in shell. Speedhooks are must with this type of footwear though.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

My preferences:

Shell Color: Dark Cognac
    Style: Captoe (no preference between captoe and punch captoe)
    Outsole: No Preference
    Eyelets: Speed hooks
    Last: Robert
    Welt: Flat

[​IMG]

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

16. nbernie

nbernie Senior member

One thing that has not been discussed for the boot is # of eyelets/ height. Are you just planning on doing same height as the model boot floating around? Seems to high to me.

17. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Did a 30 second search for info on the Robert last and didn't immediately see what I was looking for. Can someone compare this to the Plaza or Grant from Alden? It looks pretty narrow to me in the pic posted a page back.

18. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Generally in agreement here on the balmoral boot, pending not being too shocked at the price (I'm preparing myself...) Going to reiterate my interest in the straight tip. Getting sizing figured out is also a concern for me. As with most out there, no opportunity to try anything in Carmina on and don't own any already.

And I may have missed it, but I don't see a Robert last on the Carmina website. I do however, like the shape of the boot in the photos that Namor's posted.

Finally, seem to recall that 8 shoes/boots is the minimum order needed. Don't want to make things too difficult, but perhaps there's the possibility of satisfying different tastes if enough of a quorum develops on each side of the straight/perf cap or the leather/Dainate sole divide. Admittedly even those to features could split up a group enough to return us to straight majority preference.

19. captainfunk

captainfunk Senior member

re non-shell— I totally agree. While calfskin may be awesome, I'm sure Mike's got this covered. Still on board for some unique suede or oiled nubuck kind makeup. Personally, I'd be looking for a casual summer shoe.