Epaulet x Carmina MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by NAMOR, Dec 4, 2011.

1. mymil

mymil Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NorCal_1 [​IMG]

this is the color of shell cordovan you guys should order....Carmina's from Horween's blog:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I tried to order the Carminas pictured on the Horween blog by specifying "cognac" in my order, and these are what arrived:

[​IMG]

Obviously a very different shade than either of the above. I emailed with them about it, and they describe this color as "light cognac" or "brandy," almost more of a saddle tan. So be very careful when selecting a color from them, to ensure you're actually getting the one you want!

My boots (model 80184)seem to be on the Oscar last, as far as I can tell from the box, by the way. But I can't compare it to their others.

I was actually looking for a brown bal boot with Dainite soles, when I settled on these as the best alternative. So you guys are making me jealous! [​IMG]

If I can make a minor suggestion for everybody to mull over, I really like the notch detail where the lacing switches from eyelets to speed lugs. Which are a classic component of bal boots, so I don't really understand the resistance... I wouldn't want to lace a bal boot without them!

2. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

Definitely the "ravello-ish" cognac would be my preference. Can I suggest shortening the height by 2-3 eyelets like the boot pictured so that lacing won't be such an issue?

Do we have price estimates for these mto?

3. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

dark cognac is brown. it's the color that AE uses on their brown shell shoes, and to my eye/others this is the exact same color C&J uses for their RL shoes. that's exactly what Horween calls it: "dark cognac"

I would guess their "brown" is what Alden & Vass call cigar.

then they have "sadle" which must be what other makers call Saddle.

then they have burgundy and black.

I have no idea what chestnut is but it looks very similar to Dark Cognac, maybe it's just Dark Cognac with some finishing, like Alden does with #8 to make it purpler than anyone else.

dark red is likely either #4 or #6 (or very similar to those)

to me it looks like these are simply saddle

[​IMG]

honestly it's really hard to tell from pictures b/c as we all know it can be hard to capture the true color of shell; and even then there are variations within the same color. I have 2 pairs of identical models sitting in my closet that are fairly different in color.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

4. JPFNY5

JPFNY5 Senior member

Instead of a boot how about this option in a shortwing or loafer .

5. gracian

gracian Senior member

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I contacted Mike for pricing yesterday. Regarding height, I think we should stay true to a balmoral boot with 8-9 eyelets. If there is concern, we can have metal eyelets or speedhooks: The boot I'm wearing today has both metal eyelets and speedhooks and they look great. The hooks aren't as large as the Alden hooks so they're not as "grabby" [​IMG]

7. yulun405

yulun405 Well-Known Member

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Closeup of the lacing on my Grenson Masterpiece boots: [​IMG] As you can see, the hooks are less obtrusive to comparable boots like Alden. Metal eyelets also look good.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

As Akeem alluded to, the boot may be hard to take on and off. If we go all blind eyelets, it's going to be a pain in the ass getting these on and off

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Mymil, could you do us a favor and look to see how the blind eyelets are constructed? I ask because not all blind eyelets are created equal. Alden, for example just pierces the leather while C&J uses blind metal eyelets. You can see what I'm talking about here:

http://lastedleather.com/PealvsAlden/pealvsalden.html

11. nayr1982

nayr1982 Well-Known Member

I'll weigh in for a ravello colored bal boot. No opinion on eyelets vs speed hooks, as long as it isn't a chore to get them on/off.

12. MaxK

MaxK Senior member

Whole cut all the way. But I'd put another vote in for calf not shell. I love cordovan, but to me this shoe should be a dress calf (and hopefully with a rams head medallion!). A nice light color for spring.

13. nbernie

nbernie Senior member

I like the whole cut idea but with cordovan wrinkles it would look weird IMO. Better to go calf. I would also vote no medallion or brogueing.

14. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I like the straight cap toe on these. Would prefer it on the bal boot thought. More distinctive. I like this color or would do cognac as well, for either a boot or a shoe.

15. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member