1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by NAMOR, Dec 4, 2011.

1. stevent

stevent Senior member

Thanks for the info. My feet length are more in the 10 or 10.5US but usually go up a bit to get width. Do you think the 9.5UK would work or would it be too tight? Lots of the MTO ideas sound great so I want to get my sizing dialed in.

2. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I not a fan of most balmoral boots but would love to have a pair of one these for fall/winter...anyone know anything about them or interested in MTO?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OR:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  3. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Here are some more pics of my Suede Brogues.

In a casual setting
    [​IMG]

Here they are with a charcoal suit
    [​IMG]

4. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Mike,
    Can you give us a head's up of what's coming down the pipe with Carmina. I'm going to be game on the bal suede/calf boot and also probably on the navy shell brogue. BUT, if there is something coming for regular stock (without a MTO) then I may hold off on one of those two. I love the suede brogues but had I know a suede double monk was coming at the same time I would have opted for the monks. I just don't want to get caught like that again. Thanks!

5. Cuttingboard

Anyone have a pic or mock-up of the navy shell brogue?

6. Kingcarn

Kingcarn Well-Known Member

Those balmorals above with vibram sole are pretty great. as a custom order, maybe you do a mixed-media boot with only the upper-uppers (the part where the laces are) in the textured grain leather.

7. 0waterbouys

0waterbouys Senior member

Please count me in on the Navy Shell Austerity Brogue! What last is it going to be on?

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

ooof those balmorals are cool

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Wow, those pebble grain bals are sick! Which last is that?

10. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Yes those are so nice - assuming you're talking about the boot? Haven't ever tried bal boots before - I wonder if they would work better for someone with a lower instep :)

11. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

looks like robert last actually

12. Cuttingboard

Since these bal boots have already been made by Carmina, it would be a very easy order for them. Mike...any ideas how much these would cost?

13. sask boot

sask boot Senior member

Does anyone have any clear pictures of carmina chestnut cordovan? Any pictures would be appreciated.

14. sask boot

sask boot Senior member

Epaulets pictures are fantastic and thank you but I was looking for any other models out there. Different batches of cordovan can have different shades so I just want to compare as many as I can.

My mistake, I should have asked that question with more details.

15. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That color variance is definitely true with most colors of shell cordovan, but most Chestnut shell (some other vendors call it Cognac) is actually pretty consistent. It's a rich dark brown with a very slight reddish cast. I'd say that the Fitzgerald style that we photographed will be pretty spot-on for how the bal boot will make up.

We're going to do the Navy shell brogue on the Rain last, so the shape will be identical to the Snuff suede model that we ran this Spring.

In terms of the leather, the Navy shell Westminster that Leffot ran with Edward Green is a good guideline to how it will look (pic borrowed from Steven's site:)
    [​IMG]

Navy shell has some variance in color. Some of it makes up quite dark - a true midnight blue like these double monks. Some of it has a slightly more vivid navy cast. But its still way darker and closer to black than the typical navy leather shoe. And it ages beautifully. I have those Edward Greens and with wear, you'll see the navy start to come through more and more - especially on the creases.

Absolutely, here's everything that we have scheduled:

On Order for 7/15:
    Sinclair Wingtip Boot in Chestnut Shell
    The Steinbeck (Sinclair with York sole and storm welt) in Brown CXL
    The Thompson PTB in Natural CXL
    A new Single Monk in Chestnut Shell
    The Salinger Double Monk in Color #8 Shell
    New Handsewn Penny loafers in Caramel Calf and Snuff Suede
    Restocks of the Salinger in caramel, chocolate, saddle, and snuff. Restocks of the Fitzgerald in chocolate calf and Chestnut shell.

On Order for 9/15
    Thompson PTB in cognac scotch grain and brass eyelets
    "Black and Tan" Carver Chelsea boot in black calf with natural edgetrim and dainite sole

MTO Projects to go online next week
    Navy Shell Austerity Brogue Rain Last
    Navy Shell Double Monk Inca or Rain Last
    Calf/Suede Combo Bal Boot Forest Last

MTO Projects being discussed
    Cognac Python Skin Austerity Brogue Rain Last
    Some kind of completely ass-kicking Jodphur boot
    All pebble grain bal boot
    Some makeups on our exclusive Sinclair/Steinbeck Wingtip boot pattern

OK! I'm still catching up after our trip to charming but no-so-sunny Austria, but I'll work to get the three MTO Projects scheduled up in the next few days.

And I'm happy to say that the Chestnut bal boot is totally confirmed for production. We've received more than enough orders already to meet the minimum, and it's still open for a few more days. Guys always seem to order on the last day (lord knows, I always do this), so I anticipate that we'll have a nice run for this style.

16. sask boot

sask boot Senior member

Thank you Mike for the information. Have you seen the carmina boots on the Horween blog? They describe it as cognac. Would that be another example of the color? I want to say I am so excited that my first Carminas will be your amazing boot design! Thank you for doing this. I have a feeling after these there will be many more carminas on my shoeracks!

17. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Cognac and Chestnut are pretty much the same - some brands just use the terms interchangeably. This dark brown shell is the color that's available to non-Alden manufacturers, so if you see brown shell styles from Edward Green, Crockett & Jones, Vass, etc, you can get an idea for the range. Some shells will be a bit darker or a bit lighter, a bit more reddish, but it's pretty consistent from my experience. A lot of the variance that you see will be more due to photography (shell is reflective and hard to capture) than actual differences in leather color.

That said, lighter colors like Saddle can vary greatly. We've done two runs of saddle double monks and the second run came out significantly darker than the first. Navy can sometimes be a dark navy or a really dark midnight. Luckily, shell shoes are awesome looking regardless of the exact color shade.

And thanks for the kind words! I'd love to take credit for this style, but it's a boot that Carmina has offered for MTO for a few years now. I'm merely the conduit for them :). But you'll be delighted with them. We've gotten incredible feedback on the Carmina shoes, and the majority of our customers for them are first-time buyers.

18. runningfrog

runningfrog Senior member

Will there be another restock later this year of the Fitzgerald in Chestnut shell? I'm debating whether to jump on this restock or wait until the fall.

I'm definitely in for the cognac python austerity brogue. :slayer:

19. Cuttingboard

Thank you so much for your hard work Mike! I'm excited about the Navy Shell Double Monks on the Rain last & Pebble grain bal boot.:D