Epaulet x Carmina MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by NAMOR, Dec 4, 2011.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ that's an awesome attitude especially from someone who already owns a pair. Are your saddles also forest last?

2. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

What last are those on?

3. applky

applky Senior member

^ Same question.

4. mymil

mymil Senior member

^ ^^ Either a) my saddle shell boots are on the Oscar last (it says Oscar on the box; otherwise I've been unable to find any other indication online), or b) I have no idea what last they're on.

As for owning two pairs... the rainy season in Portland is 8 months out of the year, and I've been very pleased with how my first pair has handled the rain. And it's bad for the leather to wear the same pair two days in a row, so...

5. applky

applky Senior member

^ Do you use a waterproofing or protector product for the rain?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. mymil

mymil Senior member

I use a deer bone and Renovateur.

EDIT: Let me elaborate a little. So I don't waterproof them. But I clean them and condition the leather with the above.
    EDIT2: In fact, I'm doing this right now. I'll try to take a photo in natural light once I'm done.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  7. applky

applky Senior member

^ Typing with one hand, deer boning with the other?

That came out wrong.

8. mymil

mymil Senior member

Okay, so here's how I care for my shell boots and photos of what they look like after each stage.

1) I start by brushing them off with a soft cloth to remove any dust. Then with moderate pressure I wipe them down with a slightly damp cloth to clean them off. I find that this removes most of the spotting from being in the rain (which is relatively minor to begin with). I give them a very quick brush at this point, just for kicks. This is when I started taking photos. So to begin, here's a photo of my boots just after cleaning and brushing with all of my supplies except a soft cloth:

[​IMG]

2) After cleaning, I apply the deer bone to the entire boot. Some people suggest moving it in small circles, and I've seen people move it perpendicular to the long edge. But because of my particular bone's shape and a few rough spots that can (and have!) left minor scuffs, I mostly move it back and forth like a bow, using moderate pressure.

Speaking of scuffs, here's proof that they can be smoothed like magic out by doing the above:

[​IMG][​IMG]

The boot on the right has had the deer polishing bone applied to it. It's somewhat hard to tell from the photograph, but it has a waxier appearance at this point.

[​IMG]

3) I brush them with a horsehair brush to flatten the oils left behind on the leather from the deer polishing bone. The boot on the right has been brushed, the left has only been boned.

[​IMG]

4) Next I apply Renovateur with a soft cloth in small circular movements. The right boot has Renovateur applied to it, so the leather is much duller than the boot on the left, which was just brushed.
    [​IMG]

5) Then I brush them again! I don't spend too much time on this, because I find buffing with a soft cloth has a much greater effect. Brushed on the right, Renovateur on the left.
    [​IMG]

6) The final step is buffing with a soft cloth. If I had an even finer cloth, I think I could bring out an even greater shine. The right boot has been buffed, the left just brushed.
    [​IMG]

And the finished boots, outside in diffuse light. Shiny.

[​IMG]

9. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Try a nylon stocking, it brings out the shine like nothing else.

10. applky

applky Senior member

11. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Mike,

I think this was asked before, but can't remember. Is there a way to order a snuff suede belt from Carmina to go along with the austerity brogues? I guess I could go the Alden snuff suede belt route if needed.

12. sahbryant

sahbryant Senior member

can anyone comment regarding the longevity of the dainite sole relative to a leather sole?

13. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

14. Artking3

Artking3 Senior member

Buy it. Good Jodphar boots are rare.

15. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Quick question: Does Carmina use a steel shank in its shoe construction?