• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

nbernie

Reaction score
would prefer to see a bal boot in a lighter calfskin. This + danite sole would be good for a Mar-May, Sept-Nov boot.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Me too...and that's why I'm wondering why everyone wants boots for spring delivery.

I just think people are thinking longer term. any shell boot in lighter color will take > 1 year to deliver , if it's possible at all. and if you are gonna wait that long and spend so much $$, might as well get exactly what you want, even if it happens to arrive a few months too soon/late than is ideal

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the boot fixation at all. Time for a nice dress shoe that could go with a suit or with jeans.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't get the boot fixation at all. Time for a nice dress shoe that could go with a suit or with jeans.

This SW&D, where people like cordovan boots, but I do think we need some diversity, which is why I support a nice shoe in calf

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys wear these boots during the summer?

You can get away with some boots in the summer (lighter colors, etc) but for the most part i'm in loafers, mocs, desert boots in the summer. There seem to be no shortage of cordovan loafers (Alden, Ralph Lauren), suede loafers (a huge varieyt of brands), moccasins (Quoddy, Oak St, etc) and desert boots (again, large variety) for the summer though. I guess custom boots are rarer.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boot in shell

Dress shoe in calf

Those two options seem most popular

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can find rtw dress shoes from all makers that will probably be similar to any idea this group comes up with. it's more difficult to find shell boots in the rarer colors in a style you like.

I think the balmoral boot is quite rare. Add chestnut or saddle cordovan to it and you'll likely never see it again (unless you pay the single order premium). I prefer no hooks as I've had enough trouser hems ripped up. Dainite makes them useful in the winter for me.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you can find rtw dress shoes from all makers that will probably be similar to any idea this group comes up with. it's more difficult to find shell boots in the rarer colors in a style you like.
I think the balmoral boot is quite rare. Add chestnut or saddle cordovan to it and you'll likely never see it again (unless you pay the single order premium). I prefer no hooks as I've had enough trouser hems ripped up. Dainite makes them useful in the winter for me.

I appreciate the explanation...not being a balmoral boot wearer I had no idea that they are rare.

Kingcarn

Reaction score
Let me cast a vote for the whole-cut suggestion made above.

MaxK

Reaction score
How about a dress shoe in a lighter colored calf, on a sleek last like the Rain with a rams-head medallion? Do it as a whole-cut.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black boot in calf :embar:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads