1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by NAMOR, Dec 4, 2011.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Really? I always get a matching belt with every shoe I get. (Unless I already have one in that color)

2. applky

applky Senior member

You certainly can get a matching belt with every shoe you get, but it's not necessary, even if the SF High Council has decreed it thus. As long as you have a brown belt and a black belt, you are ready for all occasions, and all shoes.

Not having a matching belt shouldn't impede you from buying a shoe. Rather, buying a shoe should inspire you to wear unexpected combinations and buy other garments, one of which might be a new belt.

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

edit - wasn't saying it was necessary at all, just saying that was what i did. (i just do it for color matching reasons, reduces the number of colors that are competing/contrasting, etc)

4. applky

applky Senior member

Ah I had thought you were saying it was necessary or that it limited you in buying shoes.

Anyway the burgundy shell dub monks would be pretty great!

5. hentaisan

hentaisan Well-Known Member

Yea, definitely keen on the burgundy dubs.

I just had to send back a pair of Cognacs from the online store because they were too big and they don't have any replacements in my size.

6. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Just purchased my first pair of Carmina's (shell longwings) and I love them. I would be interested in the MTO shell option(s). Can someone tell me what was decided on and whether there are spots available?

My apologies in advance as I have read the first 10 pages of the thread and couldn't find my answer.

7. techaview

techaview Senior member

For those interested in the MTO for navy shell single monk, this is the reply from mike of Epaulet. Let see who is interested, Mile can consider building it in their website for consolidation.

Hi Alvin,

Thanks for your email, and absolutely, we can definitely make this for you. The minimum order would likely require 8 people, but this was a popular style, so I can build it out on my site.

For MTO options, you could do the last as RAIN or INCA, you could choose from a variety of soles, and you can choose a sole color and edge trim. If you wanted to make the shoe that we did, the main choice would be (1) which of the two lasts and (2) a dark brown, nearly black sole, or a medium brown sole.

Thanks,
    Mike Kuhle

Alvin Quah

Apr 10 (5 days ago)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to Epaulet
    [​IMG]

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

When you means build it on your site, you means "special orders" for footwear on your site?

For the MTO options,
    1) is ok.
    2) you are referring to the sole colour? a dark brown, nearly black sole, or a medium brown sole.

Lastly, the MTO if work out, we will not be charged with MTO surcharge but the normal shell carmina price right?

Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Epaulet New York

Apr 10 (5 days ago)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to me
    [​IMG]

Hi Alvin,

Yes, I'll build the shoes on our website so that everyone can place their preorders there. And we can hopefully find more guys to make the 8-unit minimum.

And yes, those color options are for the sole. There's other types of soles available as well (Dainite rubber, commando sole, natural crepe), but I imagine you'd want to stick with the leather sole to keep it a dressy style. So most guys would only customize the sole color in this scenario.

And the group price would not include any kind of MTO surcharge. The shell cordovan price is changing this year, but it would be in the realm of $825 or so, including our US-made shoe trees.

Thanks,
    Mike Kuhle

8. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

I would join this but only if on the rain last so I can get the wide option that is available on that last. I do not believe Inca has a wide fitting available like rain and forest do. I hope the group can decide to go with rain.

9. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

Any wild pictures of the Carmina shell longwing? Thanks in advance!

10. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Not exactly in the wild (I've only worn them twice) but here goes.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty bad iPad camera but the color is close to a lighter alden cigar with green undertones. I'm a big Alden fan but I love how these have a slightly sleeker look, giving them a more dressy feel.

1 person likes this.
  11. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

Thank you sir! They look great! I was late for the Epaulet MTO. I just bought a pair from Carmina online store last night. Hoping that the shade of cognac looks similar to alden cigar. As far as the sleekness, I am planing to wear them with jeans, I guess i will have to try them on before determine if the shape of the carmina longwing work for me or not.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  12. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

It looks like Shell is not going to be an option for the foreseeable future. Anyone want to do that single monkstrap on the rain last in black lizard? Is there such a thing as navy lizard? I would be in for navy calf as well.

13. scb

scb Senior member

one more wear (under 5 total) and I've now ripped both laces on my hatch grain jumper

14. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

I think it took me 2 wears for my right wingtip boot, but a staggering 4 for the left.

15. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Mine too, I'm changing the laces after maybe 10 wears.

Try filing the inside of the speed hook

16. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Does Epaulet include shoe trees with MTOs anymore?

17. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

Someone else will have to confirm, but I believe they now include woodlore ones due to issues with carmina's trees.

18. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

What issue do you mean? Quality?

19. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

I think whether the issue was quality could be debated. I think what Epaulet posted was that they would be broken in transit (i.e. cracked and broken) when they arrived at their shop. So then I think they were constantly needing to obtain more to replace broken ones or swap out for woodlore or something. So it could have been packaging or the quality of the shoe trees. I may be way off base though on that. Posting in the Epaulet main thread might get a faster and more official response on why they stopped.

20. applky

applky Senior member

+1 that the issue was they'd break in transit.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014