1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by NAMOR, Dec 4, 2011.

1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Kicking myself for not getting in on this 2nd run of the antelope hide jumper. What a freaking boot.

2. sahbryant

sahbryant Senior member

guys how about a MTO of this boot, but in navy shell, speedhooks at the three top eyelets

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  3. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

I would be up for that if on a last with a widevfitting.

4. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

UPS delivered my WWII Scotchgrain boots today. It was too late to get natural light pics but here are a couple.

First, with no flash, just indoor lighting. This is a fairly accurate representation of the color.

[​IMG]

Then with flash to show the burnishing a bit better. I'm guessing this is how the color will look in direct sunlight.
    [​IMG]

These are my very first Carminas and I'm quite impressed with the quality and finishing. I got a couple of PMs asking what I thought of the fit, as there was concern on their part that they might be too narrow, which had me worried. But I'm finding that the fit is really pretty good for me. A 7.5D US is perfect for me in Alden Barrie and Modified lasts, an 8E US for the Alden Leydon last, and an 8D US in AE's Dalton boot. I ordered this in a 7UK (I presume a medium UK 'E' width). It's still too early for me to feel I have a firm opinion of the fit but my initial impression of this Carmina Oscar last is that it is snugger than the Barrie and Modified. It is definitely narrower than the Barrie in the heel and the arch/instep area (more contoured). But that's good for me and why I like the Modified last. This Oscar last (comparing the sizes above) is a bit narrower in the toebox area than the Barrie, and definitely narrower than the Modified.

From a looks perspective, the Oscar last reminds me a bit of C&J's 325 last (Coniston), although it's a bit more bulbous in the toe than the 325. The flat 270 welt does definitely give it a more sleek look (I have a couple of flat 270 welt Barrie boots and believe it or not, that makes even the Barrie appear almost sleek).

I think the burnishing is absolutely gorgeous. Carmina did a wonderful job with that. As to the color, I am somewhat disappointed that they are so dark. The Scotchgrain was described as going to be "dark caramel", but these are more dark brown. I have quite a few boots in dark brown (calf and shell) and so wanted something lighter. But these are my first Scotchgrains so I am not going to try and sell them just because of the color. Now that I have them in my possession, I am quite excited to start breaking them in tomorrow.

5. Tenance

Tenance Active Member

6. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Yes, that is the example of the "dark caramel" color that I was expecting/hoping for. And it looks like the hatch grain turned out quite a bit lighter and redder than what was expected. I think EP needs to somehow control what leeway Carmina has with the variations in color once people have committed to an MTO with expectations of what they're going to receive.

7. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

I received my cordovan WWII boots. Finishing is excellent and they seem really awesome. The 12.5UK fit me, but I'm wishing I would have gone with a 13UK just because the vamp and shaft of the boot are a little on the snug/contoured side. They fit but I like my boots a little looser. If anyone has a 13UK and wants to go down a size, let me know.

8. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I kinda wish I had invested the extra bucks and gone for the cordovan ones. Maybe next round. Although I really regret not going for the Kudu boots also.

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Just too many great shoes and or boots, and not enough time nor resources.[​IMG]

I've never ever been disappointed when choosing the cordovan version though.

10. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Why aren't you guys posting IRL pics of your recently received MTOs? I'm eager to see the kudu, the hatch grain and the shell boots, all which I was interested in as well.

1 person likes this.
  11. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

Haven't had the chance to wear my shell ones yet. Once I do, I"ll try to snap a few photos and post.

12. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

You have much more restraint than I do, aldenfan. I typically wear any new boots I receive the very next day (inside on carpet) if I can.

13. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

Haha, I might not have as much restraint as you think [​IMG]. I like to try them out too as soon as I get them. The "haven't had the chance to wear them yet" is because I've been so busy. Seems the last few weeks I'm at home only for enough time to sleep and then wake up and rush out the door [​IMG]. I would wear them out immediately, but I want to break them in properly before going out and haven't been able to do any carpet wearing yet

14. kwanon

kwanon Senior member

Can you explain to a newb why you would want to break them in indoors rather than just wear them normally? Is it just that a full day of wear when they're new will be too hard on your feet?

15. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

2 people like this.
  16. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

Well, I am not an expert on this, so many other more knowledgeable SF members can correct me if I am way off.

I don't know how essential breaking in on carpet is, but many very experienced and expert members on this forum believe it is the best route to go, and I see no reason to doubt them.

Breaking them in while indoors on carpet and also for a limited amount of time I believe allows the shoe leather sole to start to flex and loosen a little (allowing it to bend). The leather sole breaking in and starting to flex allows you to walk without digging your toe into the ground. If you break them in on concrete then you may start to get irregular or excessive grinding on the toe of your shoe/boot. Also, if you wear them inside on carpet, in some cases if the seller allows returns, then you are able to not scuff the soles, and if you also do not bend enough to create creases in the leather or rolls in cordovan, then you may be able to return them if you find they don't fit.

2 people like this.
  17. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

Oops, missed BootSpell's previous thorough and concise explanation.

18. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

Here are some close ups of my Saddle Shell Jumper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

^^ Very, very nice. Congrats on getting those.

20. sarteaga

sarteaga Senior member

Got the Greeley Boot in from Epaulet today:
    [​IMG]