1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by NAMOR, Dec 4, 2011.

1. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Potentially. I may be more interested in leaving it dark brown. I also think it would be sick in saddle shell.

2. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Chukka...
    Turns out that Fok is a hell of a designer, as I've gotten about a dozen emails from guys who saw these on Instagram. The grey suede is back in stock, so we could turn it around pretty quickly, or we could do it in snuff, brown, sand, etc. I think that most guys would prefer the shape without the medallion. And it's on the forest last.

They do a great dusty brown color suede, which could be pretty fresh on this shape...

[​IMG]

Alt Wien Boot
    I was really stunned at how nice this looks in person. It sounded like a cool idea and it came together brilliantly. Saddle shell would definitely be boss on this. I've had a lot of dudes interested in the Kudu leather. What if we made it up in Kudu and asked them to do a light burnishing so that it came in as a pale tan?

1 person likes this.
  3. gravitas1

gravitas1 Active Member

Are carmina sold w the lasts

4. hanoiboy

hanoiboy Senior member

Mike, those carmina turned out very nice. Any chance of a suede jumper with york sole?

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm just tapped into the #menswear zeitgeist. fwiw, I was struck by how attractive was the broguing on my wife's shoes, and really wanted that feature on my boots. Also, it's a nice departure from the traditional plaintoe chukka, but one that pays respect to the casual, country and leisure roots of the chukka. All the jibba jabba aside, I just think that it looks cool. You too could be the coolest cat in the Inland Northwest, between Seattle and Grand Forks.

6. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

The grey chukka boots look sick! What colours would you pair them with? Dark raw denim and khakis? Maybe even blue or green chinos?

7. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

Mike posted some other pics in Instagram...here is a "heavy" stitch cap toe shoe and a boot version...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. scb

scb Senior member

grey suede looks great

9. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Agreed! This is a tough leather to get, but I think that they have some stock. I'm going to see if we can lock down enough for 12 units. A grey suede makeup for May delivery would be absolutely brilliant. This shape could be really sharp as a simple PTB or the heavy stitch captoe. It contrasts so nicely with the crepe sole.

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Totally agree! Here are my loden suede chukkas with the crepe. Obviously a bit different in color but carry a similar vibe. I have been wanting a straight up grey chukka so looking forward to what gets put together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  11. hanoiboy

hanoiboy Senior member

Those are nice, the closed welt works. Is it possible for fir lining?

12. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

I'd be so down for something like that in Saddle. Can we see a photoshop mock up?

13. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Grey suede idea: longwing on the Detroit last, black edge trim (gotta have that contrast), double leather sole.

That suede is awesome.

If you could get enough, I think another cool idea would be do a modified version of the 10092 boot. Black leather bottom, grey suede shaft. Single or double leather. The modification would be to do only 7 eyelets. If they could to it on Rain, that would be even better.

[​IMG]

Edit: I also think a grey suede austerity brogue would be pretty sweet.

Second edit: I almost forgot about these:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  14. kayjaybee

kayjaybee Senior member

Trying to pay for my hatchgrain MTO balance through PayPal but when I click complete my purchase it doesnt do anything. Anyone else having this problem from Epaulet?

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The gray suede would look great on the single-strap monkstrap.

16. LA Guy

I saw a great single strap sueded monstrap chukka on a crepe sole at pitti last year, not unlike the black ones that Panico wears. I think that that model would look awesome in grey suede.

The attraction of those particular chukkas is the color and textural contrast between the grey suede, the dark welt, and the natural crepe. You can play around with other things - the last, the model, etc... but you mess with that, and, imo, you take away a lot of what makes it attractive. It's also what makes @rydenfan 's chukkas attractive. The difficult thing, imo,k in styling (because that is what it really is, design is something else altogether) is to discern what makes something interesting and attractive, and to keep those elements, while changing other things to your liking. At the end of the day, a MTO project is yours (or a group's), but I've seen a lot of people who do MTO a bit dissatisfied because they failed to identify what they found attractive about a product to begin with. The main material is obviously important, but ime, it's generally more than that.

17. thinman

thinman Senior member

I'm not so sure a gray suede monkstrap shoe works for me, but I'd have to consider seriously a gray suede monkstrap chukka with a crepe sole. My next purchase should really be a slipon (monkstrap or chelsea boot, for easy on/easy off at airport security) with some type of rubberized sole for travel in wet weather. How versatile is gray suede, though? It seems like it would work for casual, but not business casual.

On the other hand, there's been a gray suede wingtip blucher on ebay for the past 2 months that I've been seriously considering and Fok, you may have pushed me over the edge with your chukka.

18. LA Guy

It's a casual boot - grey suede could be businss casual, but not grey suede with a crepe sole. Of course, that also depends on where you work. Unless you work for some East Coast BIg Law or Banking institution, in a client facing position, no one is really going to care, one way or the other.

Chukkas are great for airplanes. They are short enough on the angle to be super comfortable, but long enough that you can sorta of slip them on without the laces flopping all over the place (this is especially true of 3 eyelet chukkas.

19. thinman

thinman Senior member

That's what I'm wearing now--C&J Tetburys in brown or black, as well as brown suede Rider 3-eyelet chukkas with crepe soles--but I'm hoping to score some monkstraps (or monkstrap chukkas). You may recall that I'm an academic, so I'm already grossly overdressed compared to everyone around me. People would just see gray suede chukkas with crepe soles as another of my eccentricities.

20. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I experienced the same problem, so I decided to use the other payment option.