1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by NAMOR, Dec 4, 2011.

1. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

Just collected my black Greeleys from the post office. Unfortunately they didn't come directly from Spain as I was expecting so they cost me an extra £60, such is life .. although if they were sold inside the EU then perhaps they would have had to add the VAT at source, I don't know.

The boots themselves are great, I'm not 100% convinced that the slight chunkiness of the Forest last works with the dressiness of the balmoral pattern but I suspect it will grow on me as it breaks in. The last is certainly very comfortable.

The Carmina shoe trees are quite nifty. I'm not familiar with the Epic trees but just to dampen down my obsessive tendencies I would probably be happy to pay extra to get the Carmina trees on future orders. Perhaps offer Epics as a standard with Carmina trees as an upgrade? not that you don't have enough to keep in mind as it is.

2. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I prefer the Carmina shoe trees as well. I have 5 pair of Carmina (4 MTO from Epaulet and 1 Direct MTO) and i've gotten Carmina shoe trees with each order. I'm not sure that the epics fill out the shoe as well as the Carmina (especially in the rain and inca last). I'll abide by whatever decision is made and it'll make no difference in my future purchases. I'm also a little OCD and like everything to match.

3. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I have two epics and three on the way from THP. If the price is right I would rather buy from epaulet. But at this point I'll buy from whoever stocks them.

Only brand specific trees I would get are lasted ones. I don't need non-lasted Carmina trees.

4. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Fellow terra cotta boot owners, have you found the shaft of the boot is huge? My foot fits perfectly in the footbed of the boot but the laces are tied tight and it feels like I can stick almost 4 fingers between my foot and the top of the boot.

Anyone else have this problem?

5. kayjaybee

kayjaybee Senior member

+1 [​IMG]

6. sridhar3

sridhar3 Senior member

I have more than a few of both. I'd say Epic shoe trees are probably sufficient for shoes (though the lasted Carmina trees do fit better), but for boots definitely the Carmina lasted trees. The only other alternative for boots would be LCA boot trees, which are also bloody expensive.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  7. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

Hi Loden peeps,

looking forward to seeing a pic of carminas loden hides in stock....wanted to get a read on whether we'd prefer a greely or jumper boot. I think the more rugged boot would be fantastic in this color, but maybe we can do both.

are we all still feeling the double monk?

I also think that bal boot with green shell bottom and snuff suede shaft would be superb, or something along those lines with contrast

here is a crockett & jones calf/suede boot in those colorways that is a great example of that contrast[​IMG]

8. hanoiboy

hanoiboy Senior member

I agree on the loden jumper only if it comes with flat welt and a full rubber sole.

Also, how about a cognac greeley?

9. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

but in this shape... [​IMG]

10. joiji

joiji Senior member

With how Snuff comes out for Carmina, would a Loden shell/Chocolate suede be better received?

11. kidamerica17

kidamerica17 Well-Known Member

I'm definitely down for the double monks.

12. JCPhoto

JCPhoto Well-Known Member

The double monk is the Loden makeup I'm most interested in too.

13. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

I was also under the impression the Carmina trees are not lasted, if they are then that's a good reason to keep them if at all possible.

14. james ep

james ep Active Member

I can't cosign this enough. If you guys make a hatchgrain longwing, you can count ME in, too.

I find that the Epic shoe trees are fantastic on the Forest last. The recommended sizing on the boxes seems a little bit mental-- I recommend using the same size scale on the non-Epic ones, which is something like 6 - 7.5 for small, 8 - 9.5 for medium, etcetera.

I think the Soller last is most likely-- we're checking to find out what our options are. I think a dainite sole is the way to go, too.

15. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I don't think they are lasted but the shape is very similar to the shoes I have (at least in the rain and inca last). They fit better than the epics IMHO.

16. diglett

diglett Senior member

They definitely seem to be styled somewhat like a chukka at the top, but the opening on my pair isn't big enough to fit four fingers. I just tied the laces a bit tighter at the top, which doesn't look quite as nice, but closes the gap. If I leave the gap open, I can fit two fingers in there, but it's nothing crazy.
    Agreed. Just because they're not lasted doesn't mean they don't fit better; the difference is obvious on my pairs.

17. sridhar3

sridhar3 Senior member

Oh, thought they were lasted. My bad.

They do fit the shoes better than the Epics though. I'd still be okay with Epics for shoes, but Carminas for boots.

18. runningfrog

runningfrog Senior member

yes, i noticed this as well. the footbed fits perfect and the top is a bit loose even with zero gap. i thought it was just my skinny ankles. lol

19. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

Mike-how is the build out coming? Will we see a Hatch Grain Anderson with commando sole?

1 person likes this.
  20. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Lasted or not, the Carmina trees fit exceptionally well. My main objection to the Epics is that they have fairly wide heels, which may not be a good thing.