Epaulet x Carmina MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by NAMOR, Dec 4, 2011.

1. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I saw those pictures and I see it as a more relaxed shoe maybe not necessarily thrown together with an outfit that has a tie with it. Unfortunately for me I am in a tie every day and it might not flow well in that situation. I agree with you wj4s makes it look so easy and so well put together.

In another window I have a zoomed in image of the pythons off of Epaulets website and I keep going back and forth between it

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

2. Concub1ne

Concub1ne Senior member

I've been looking at the latest preorders and I'm not 100% sure about the sizing. The preorder page reads "Our Carmina for Epaulet shoes are produced in regular-width UK sizes". Does this mean that any shoe on any last will be an E, or does this mean that the shoes are the normal last width? For instance, would a shoe on the rain last be a regular E, or a wide EE as stated on the carmina website? I interpret it as the former, but thought I'd ask to be sure.

Oh btw, does anyone know whether the preorder deadline is 23:59 on monday (on the 7th), or 23:59 on sunday (before the 7th)?

3. wj4

wj4 Senior member

URRGHH. Trying to make me spend my moniezzzz. JK.

4. diglett

diglett Senior member

What's the difference between pebblegrain and scotchgrain?

5. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Cross posting from Epaulet's main thread.

Pythons again:

There’s been a discussion regarding whether or not the pythons are too eccentric for the workplace. I decided to wear the most mundane set of clothing I have: a charcoal gray suit. From several feet away, the pythons look like a pair of whiskey hue shoes and are not as outlandish as one may think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

6. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I vaguely recall this as well. I'm in for this if it comes thru!

7. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I'd be in for this...

8. applky

applky Senior member

Pebble grain has a much more pronounced, three-dimensional, pebbly texture. Scotch grain is more subdued. I believe they're produced using the same process.

9. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Thank you sir! Actually quite a reasonable response :)
    The Chocolate Jodphurs and the Caramel wholecuts are probably going to take another delivery or two - but those got a little held up trying to make the minimum production number. Thanks so much, and thanks for your patience! We'll do whatever we can to expedite the delivery, and all you guys with the late preorders will get 15% off.
    Yup, it's on the Forest last. So it can be ordered in wide fittings :)
    Absolutely, let's rock that! I'll find out the available Ruby stock from Carmina this week.
    Those look awesome - thanks again for picking them up!
    Very cool! You can go ahead and order the pythons when you're ready. I'll work it out with Carmina this week. I believe that it will be possible, but if for whatever reason it isn't, then I can cancel and refund your order in the next few days. But I'll do my best to sort it out.
    Sure was. I proposed a navy python captoe bal.
    The "E" situation with Carmina is confusing. A standard width shoe is technically an "E" or an "EE" with Carmina. But this is used to describe the different shapes of lasts, more than it is with actual width scaling. For example, Alden runs the Barrie in C, in D, in E, in EEE. All of these sizes have their own dedicated wooden lasts which differ in width. Carmina calls the Forest last an "E" to show that it's medium while it calls the Inca an "EE" to show that it fits a little wider. But I can say that the fit is pretty comparable on both. The Inca is a bit wider than the Forest, but I wouldn't recommend it for a customer who needs a true wide fitting. The lasts that we often work with: Forest, Queens, Rain, Inca yield a nice medium fit that works for most guys. The Forest in wide (which is stamped EEE) works great for guys who take a wide fitting. The Simpson is good for people with a narrow-ish medium fitting, and the Alcudia is nice for guys who take a true narrow fitting. And if you can submit your order by tomorrow, that would be ideal. I'm meeting with Carmina in person on Wednesday, so that way I can bring the orders with me.

10. thecool85

thecool85 Senior member

My god, I'd be all over that. What last were you thinking for something like that?

11. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

** Semantics

12. applky

applky Senior member

^ There's a fair difference between scotch:

[​IMG]

And pebble:

[​IMG]

Although I can imagine they wear similarly.

13. Epaulet

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

14. Concub1ne

Concub1ne Senior member

Thanks for the sizing advice, concerning the width especially. If the python is a bit snug out of the box, is it supposed to give a bit after some wear like calf? Never worn anything but calf, so I thought I'd ask.

15. Epaulet

I'd say so. The other guys who got the first MTO can chime on this, but from what I know, it should break in like any normal shoe leather. Adele has a pair of the womens python shoes and definitely noticed that they softened up and gave a bit with some wear.