1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by NAMOR, Dec 4, 2011.

1. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

I think either Steinbeck was the boot that epaulet had on their website

2. styleophile

styleophile Well-Known Member

I am in punched toecap camp.
    Pro: The tumbled texture of the leather + Terracotta color + Punching all go together well. [As opposed to a smooth calf + more sober brown tone + cap toe]

Con: The specs we've settled on are inching this makeup close to the Black Scotchgrain Balmoral (except for the Dainite & Speed Hooks)

3. applky

applky Well-Known Member

This post is so full of win

4. diglett

diglett Well-Known Member

My mistake; I didn't mean to suggest that it's a COMPLETELY different boot, but rather that I prefer the aesthetics of the punched toe rather than the cap toe.
    Exactly.
    There was a suggestion being tossed around (maybe just within the PM thread a while back) about spreading the punching all around the upper, like the wingtip ankle boots on Epaulet's site.
    Agreed with the pros, but beyond the leather texture, I wouldn't worry about it being too close to the Scotchgrain.

-blucher vs bal lacing
    -slight texture difference
    -reddish brown vs black
    -leather sole vs dainite
    -7 eyelets vs 10
    -all blind eyelets vs 6 blind, 4 speed hook

Completely different boot, in my opinion.

5. thecool85

thecool85 Well-Known Member

I think Frank brings up a great point. We may be spinning our wheels about something that isn't a possibility. I suppose we should wait on feedback from Mike before we proceed with the discussion. What might be helpful for some, is a mockup of the boot with no punching to get a better idea of what it might look like (although I'm sure we've all seen captoe boots before so maybe not). I've stated my reasons previously for why I'd prefer the captoe with no punching, but it's not so much of a deal breaker to me that it would kill my interest in the boot.

6. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

Keep the punching...it looks good with the leather...I'm a puncher.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I agree with the pros and disagree with the cons for the reasons diglett mentioned. I would add that a captoe blucher's combination of the formal and the informal looks a little off to me in general.

Anyone in favor of adding punching to the side seams? :devil:

8. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

N'ah, too similar to the Ruby boot then...

9. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

10. thecool85

So after thinking about it some more, and seeing the following picture, I've decided to throw my hat in with the punched cap toe folks. This is gonna be an incredible boot.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. diglett

Soooo punched toe, then?

Shun the non-believers.

12. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Well-Known Member

It is a great boot!

[​IMG]

13. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

Punched toe! Lets do it!

14. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

The Epaulet & Carmina MTO Project

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far! I just want to post a quick recap for any newcomers into the thread (as reading through 2400 posts is a daunting task :))

Back in December 2011, this thread was generously started by NAMOR as a space to pool ideas on new Carmina makeups. As long as a minimum of 6 customers buy into a specific makeup, we can produce it at the usual retail price rather than the elevated single pair MTO price. And the pricing is actually a bit cheaper than regular retail, as we include a set of premium Carmina shoe trees with every makeup style.

Since those days, we've made about a dozen handsome styles, and we've got plenty more in work. All ideas are welcome, and debating the details of the final product within this friendly community is most of the fun. While I'm happy to provide opinions, feedback, and photoshop mockups, I'm largely just here to facilitate the designs and make the shoes (and boots) of your dreams!

Here's a quick overview of the process:

1) We reach a consensus on a new idea within the thread. Several members express their interest in the makeup.
    2) I build out the item on epauletnewyork.com, in our special order section - and post the link here
    3) The preorder is generally up for about a week. We ask about 50% up front as a non-refundable deposit. Sales are final as we cut everything to order
    4) We place the order with Carmina. Delivery generally takes between 3 and 6 months, depending on the availability of the leather.
    5) Once the shoes arrive, we'll bill you for the balance and ship them out immediately.

That's about it! If you're a first time Carmina customer, then we can offer excellent advise on sizing - especially with comparisons to other brands like Alden, Edward Green, and Crockett & Jones.

So, without any further adieu, let me present the newest makeup concept. As requested by the gentlemen on this thread, we are now accepting orders for the Punched Captoe boot in "Lama" tumbled calf leather. This beautiful hide is no longer produced by Carmina's tannery, and 12 units can be made with the supply that remains.

[​IMG]
    Terracotta Lama Calfskin Punched Captoe Boot Special Order

As always, feel free to post here or PM me with any questions!

And here is a quick gallery of some other "Greatest Hits" that we've produced in concert with all of the guys on this thread....

[​IMG]
    Burgundy Shell Cordovan Austerity Brogue Balmoral Boot

[​IMG]
    Ruby Shell Cordovan Punched Captoe

[​IMG]
    Python Austerity Brogue

[​IMG]
    Calf & Suede Balmoral Boot

[​IMG]
    Navy Shell Cordovan Rain Last Double Monk

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. runningfrog

runningfrog Well-Known Member

one slot taken for terracota lama :D

16. thecool85

Make that 2.

17. jpc9

jpc9 Well-Known Member

Anyone interested in a rerun of the navy shell double monks on Rain last?

18. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Well-Known Member

No but in a chukka or PTB :)

19. styleophile

styleophile Well-Known Member

[/quote]

[quote name="justinkapur" url="/t/277505/epaulet-x-carmina-mto/2250_90#post_6081616"]
    That is pretty awesome. I would totally rock something like that in Navy.

Terracotta Boot ordered! Time to get going on this next one.

I counted about 4 folks excited about this - can we finalize what we want so Mike can get it going :bigstar:

I can see this being worn at the office all the way to black tie.
    Chiseled toe - Rain Last?
    Either Navy shell or midnight calf?
    Wholecut?
    I'm pretty open to ideas for the toe - Plain? Austerity? Small Medallion? Brogue?
    Channeled soles?​

Can we get a few champions to get this going? :cheers:

20. diglett

Well, I woke up and saw that some money had come through from paypal while I slept...

[​IMG]

Another slot taken for the Terracotta.

Styleophile, has Carmina ever made channeled soles? I've never seen any from them.