Epaulet Unfinished Horsehide Trainers Fall 2015 Preorder (& Styleforum Shell Cordovan Contest)

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by Epaulet, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

Hi guys,

Until July 3rd, we're doing a massive preorder project for our sneaker collection. Using a gorgeous unfinished Italian Front Quarter Horsehide, you can order into any size in any of the fours shapes shown above. The leather is oiled, but unsealed, so it ages dramatically as you wear it. I have an absolute ton of copy written for this, but here's the whole idea in a nutshell:

1) From now until July 3rd, you can place the preorder of your choice. Deposits are $110, and the balance payment runs from $135 to $165, depending on the style.

2) The trainers will be put into work with an approximate delivery of October

3) Once they arrive, you pay your balance and we ship them out to you. If you're in Europe, your sneakers will be shipped from an affiliate in Austria - so no customs clearance issues.

4) After you get them, we'll hold a contest in concert with Styleforum. We'll ask you to post photos of the trainers on Instagram with the hashtags #epaulethorshide and #styleforum. The top entries will be put into a poll thread on Styleforum and voted on by the community. To be a top entry, you'll want to submit good photos, and submit them frequently.

That will be one winner. The other winner will be chosen totally at random. Each person gets one ballot - whether they took one photo or a thousand. So as long as you order a trainer and do at least one Instagram post, you have a chance of winning.

The two prizes are: genuine Comipel Shell Cordovan trainers - your pick of either the Sport Trainer or the Tennis Trainer. (and yes, the shell cordovan is real this time [​IMG]

I've got a ton of text that breaks everything down.

You can view the online item and place a preorder here

You can see more photos, videos, and text at our Medium.com presentation

I'll update this thread with images of the samples as I wear them. If you have any questions on sizing, please feel free to post them. We've sold a little over a thousand pairs so far - most of them online - so we're very well versed giving fit advice. Other members can weigh in as well on what sizes they wear in popular SF brands. I'll leave you off with my favorite aging photo - showing the new leather on top, and 14-week worn samples on the bottom:

[​IMG]

2. Epaulet

Some fit pics of the FC High Trainer on the street today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015

3. Epaulet

Feel free to email us any questions that you have on these. Since a lot of inquiries have been coming in, I'm going to post up some of my responses for everyone to see. You might have the same question [​IMG]

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 6:28 PM wrote:

Hey Mike,

I just saw your email about the UNFINISHED HORSEHIDE TRAINERS! Man, you guys don’t stop with the excellent offerings!

I’m wondering if buying the SADDLE Cuoro’s would be redundant with buying the tennis low horehide. Do you think in time they the unfinished leather will look like the sale tan color on the cuoro’s?

if I did buy the unfinished ones IN ADDITION to the cuoro’s, tough choice and the four unfinished options. the Sport Trainer could be cool or maybe the FULL COURT HIGH?

Thanks again for offering so many great things!

Thanks for all the kind words!
    So, don't worry about the Saddle Couro Cromo and a worn pair of HH's looking the same. There's a really different vibe between the two of them. The saddles have a glossy, lustrous finish and will fade at wear points.

The horsehide will have an irregular matte color tone that will be different at different points of the shoe, and will constantly change and evolve. Even if the two leathers look a little similar in color for a while - they won't be similar for long. With wear, oil, and a decent amount of sun exposure - the Horsehides will get several degrees darker than Saddle Couro Cromo.

That said, if you're sold on a Saddle Couro Cromo Tennis Trainer, then maybe opt for a different shape in the unfinished horse. The Sport Trainer has been our best-selling shape so far, followed closely by the Full Court High.

Cheers,
    Mike

4. Epaulet

First wear of the Tennis High samples today...

[​IMG]

5. Mariokartfever

Mariokartfever Senior member

preordered the tennis trainers.

How would one care for these to make the weathering look uniform and not blotchy?

6. Epaulet

It's always going to be a bit irregular, but you can control it a bit by using oil and protectant.

Use a one-two punch of real mink oil...

[​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000FJQSY8

And then after that, use a very light coat of Obenaufs LP:

http://cdn3.volusion.com/ryueq.uzuge/v/vspfiles/photos/HEAVY-DUTY-LP-8-2T.jpg?1418665792

This is going to darken the leather up quite a bit, but in a largely uniform way. The Obenauf's does a great job of locking out moisture and stains, so you'll have more control over it

7. fromscrath

fromscrath Member

There is a typo on the size list on the site:
    EU 7 / EU 39.5 instead of US 7.

Interesting project, I'm surely gonna back it. However one little question, are "hand made" patina possible ? By this I mean using creaming as with dress choses (Or even real patina products). I don't know how your leather is treated and thus if you have even a rough idea of how the tincture will take would be interesting.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015

8. Epaulet

It should be. Typically, unfinished leathers like these can be painted and dyed to whatever color you want. There's a Portuguese shoe brand called Carlos Santos who is pretty well known for this:

[​IMG]

Honestly, I'm not sure what exact paints/dyes are used for this process, but the Unfinished Horse leather should be a candidate for it if you want to experiment [​IMG]

9. Epaulet

Here's a recent sizing question...

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 7:57 PM, wrote:
    Hi,

I am interested in purchasing the horsehide tennis trainers, but have a question regarding the sizing. Can you please recommend a size to me?

References:
    • Brannock: ~10.5D US
    • AE 5 last: 10D US
    • Alden Barrie: 10B/D US
    • Nike Athletic Shoes: 11 US
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your email. So, you're looking at either a 10 or a 10.5.

The AE 5 last is pretty TTS and I'd say similar to the the Tennis Trainer last overall. Guys would ordinarily size up a half from their Barrie sizing. And it's common for many customers to drop a full size a Nike Running shoe.

If you want a totally safe recommendation, then go for the 10.5. If the trainers are long, it's not going to be by much and the fit should still be very good. Many guys like to wear sneakers a bit less fitted than dress shoes.

If you like your sneakers more fitted or intend to wear them with thin socks or no socks, then the 10 might be a better choice. I imagine that it will be on the snug size, but should break in with some wear.

For comparison, I wear:

AE 5 Last: 9.5
    Alden Barrie: 9D in shell cordovan, 9.5D in calf or CXL
    Nike: 10
    All Epaulet Trainers: 9.5

Thanks,
    Mike Kuhle

10. Epaulet

Sport Trainer at 15 weeks:

[​IMG]

11. Epaulet

Another photo - this one in the sun

[​IMG]

12. Epaulet

In the interest of science and getting as much aging as possible on these shoes in a week, I left the hi-tops out in the sun for three days. They acquired a very nice tan in that quick time frame. Next step will be using pure mink oil on Thursday. I'll have some comparison shots this weekend.

[​IMG]

13. Epaulet

Some additional sizing comparisons:

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 8:27 AM, wrote:
    I think you’ve sold me on the FC High. That’s an awesome shoe and I love the idea of the aging on many panels.

I’m a 10 in Vans Authentic, 10 in PF Flyer, and a 10 in Yuketen (moc). Is it safe to assume I’m a 10 in the FC high?

Excellent! You're going to love it. Not sure if you saw my post today, but the sample pair already has a nice "tan" from being out in the sun for 3 days.

Regarding your sizing, yes - I'd absolutely agree on size 10 for the FC High.

14. swoops

swoops Active Member

Just preordered the full court highs. Super excited!

15. Epaulet

Thank you sir!

I ordered some of that pure mink oil online and it's getting delivered tomorrow. I'll shoot a video of the effect it has on the sun-tanned samples.