• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet & Styleforum Double Faced Shirt Poll

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mike said this shirt is going to be too heavy to wear during the summer, so everyone crying about black and purple not being a summer color scheme...well, it's not meant to be.

For those complaining about that swatch, how many purple shirts do you guys actually own? For all the bellyaching over it, purple is still a very underrated color.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your right

in fact he said it was a spring shirt... which is always dark black and purple in my book. :/

I own a few shirts with purple in them.... i wear them in the winter and fall.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I'm not seeing how BROWN is such a better spring/summer color than purple. When I think of bright skies, cool breezes, and girls in bikinis, I definitely drab brown.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe its that i like/prefer 1950 and 60s style patterns and that one is calling to me idk

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fair enough. As I said earlier, my bias against the swatch is that I've never much liked how I looked in earth tones (especially shirting). I understand that isn't the case for everyone.

I'm bummed that the black/blue/red is so far behind. The creme/blue/red is too patriotic for my tastes.

Tarwater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I guess I'm not seeing how BROWN is such a better spring/summer color than purple. When I think of bright skies, cool breezes, and girls in bikinis, I definitely drab brown.
But it's not the brown that makes the swatch good. It's the light blue that runs through the brown and umber coloring, which I find to be nicely understated; it's definitely the blue that makes the fabric a great Spring piece. The purple sample is pretty much the opposite: none of the colors recall spring like the light, earthy tones of the brown sample do, and the colors are far too bold to be wearing during Spring and early Summer. It's not bad, but to my eyes, it's far more suited to Fall.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarwater
But it's not the brown that makes the swatch good. It's the light blue that runs through the brown and umber coloring, which I find to be nicely understated; it's definitely the blue that makes the fabric a great Spring piece. The purple sample is pretty much the opposite: none of the colors recall spring like the light, earthy tones of the brown sample do, and the colors are far too bold to be wearing during Spring and early Summer. It's not bad, but to my eyes, it's far more suited to Fall.

This. The blue/brown combo is arguably more SS-appropriate than a grape paired with black and grey.

However, the blue/brown won't work for everyone, while the purple will match better with dark denim.

Doctor

Reaction score
I also agree that it's not the brown that makes the fabric. It's the blue. But then, I am bias towards it because the two colours that look best on me happen to be brown and blue. 75% of my wardrobe is based around brown and blue
wink.gif
Purple looks bad on me.

John_Edward

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be cheeky in asking, but who else makes shirts with contrast cuffs and collars like this? Anything around the $100 price-point?

The fabric's great, but pockets and button-down collars really put me off.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for all your feedback and enthusiasm. It's the last day for voting, but the two winners are looking pretty definite. Can't wait for this shirt! We'll order the fabric tomorrow.

Question though - is mostly everyone cool with a button flap pocket? Should I set another quick poll for that?

70gransport

Reaction score
Honestly Mike, I'd do what you feel works best with the shirt. No need for another poll.

hnlax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 70gransport
Honestly Mike, I'd do what you feel works best with the shirt. No need for another poll.

Agreed. As I've said in this thread, I'd like a button pocket, but I'd buy it if it didn't have one. It's your shirt, you make the decision on your vision for the shirt

but, regardless of what anyone says, don't get rid of the bd collar

Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 70gransport

+1

I have a few Epaulet shirts now, and they all have the clean, almost invisible pocket. A button flap would mix things up a bit for me. But like others say, whatever works best.

I'm still dirty about the grape winning out. So badly wanted the brown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads