• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

adelorenzo

Reaction score
I'm wearing a pair of Sandow chinos (now Wilhelm? I assume they fit the same) at work today and I have to say they are the best fitting pants I own.

My biggest thing is that I can't order OTR because I need a longer inseam. So that leaves me paying higher prices and 6-8 week lead times for custom chinos. I would love it if you could offer custom hemming with a short turnaround time, sell unhemmed pairs or maybe even just have them hemmed for stock with a generous amount of material to let out.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm wearing a pair of Sandow chinos (now Wilhelm? I assume they fit the same) at work today and I have to say they are the best fitting pants I own.

My biggest thing is that I can't order OTR because I need a longer inseam. So that leaves me paying higher prices and 6-8 week lead times for custom chinos. I would love it if you could offer custom hemming with a short turnaround time, sell unhemmed pairs or maybe even just have them hemmed for stock with a generous amount of material to let out.

EXACTLY THIS! Great to hear that the fit is so good for you. The new custom program is going to have:

1) Four week maximum turnaround
2) Hemming service at no extra charge
3) Multiple button options
4) Interior pocket bag monogramming

Pricing is probably going to be in line with where we were. About $30 or $35 above retail. Given that a lot of guys have to pay close to $20 for a hem, the exact inseam will take away a lot of that pain.

CaptainCrunchy

Reaction score
Tell you what, if you're cool with an extra two weeks or so of lead time, I could do any of these fabrics in the bomber jacket for a $25 upcharge...

https://www.epauletbrand.com/collec...in-wool-tweed-corduroy?variant=29550955397222

Just add this item into your cart at checkout, but tell me "BOMBER JACKET" in the checkout comments. I'll recognize your name.

FWIW doing a bomber in that Woolrich Dream Donegal would be about the dopest thing that anyone has ever seen.

I absolutely need to tell you guys more about that cloth, will do shortly.

Thank you @El Argentino ... you've been such a long time supporter of the brand! And the most patient suiting customer of all time. And the person who officially got me hooked on Carne Asada fries.

@CaptainCrunchy no there's not really a roll... this is just how the shirt is flat-packed with some plastic supports under the collar. It's going to wear like a standard camp collar.

That fabric is absolutely - freaking - incredible. We all know that guys aren't beating down the door to get an OTR Gitman shirt in a normal bizcaz fabric like the were in the heady days of 2010 and "Inventory Magazine." But Chris Olberding at Gitman Bros is second to none when it comes to unique fabric sourcing, and this doesn't disappoint. It's a complex and amazing cloth that's comfortable to wear and very eye-catching in its texture.

I really can't recommend the "Gonzo Handsketch Jacquard" enough... particularly if you're a past Gitman x Epaulet customer and you're totally confident on your sizing. You'll absolutely love how this turns out. Check it out here
Alright, you've convinced me on the fabric. I've never ordered an Epaulet shirt before so I'm trying to decide the make up. What is the sleeve length if I get a long sleeve with the medium gitman bros camp shirt fit? I would go for short sleeve, but 9.25" sleeve length is too long compared to my favorite T-shirt that is 7.5" (perfect looking on my arms).

Alternatively, I'm not sure if I should just get a button down collar/Epaulet fit. 99% of my shirts are button down collars with generous rolls.

For medium gitman bros camp shirt fit & for large Epaulet fit, what are the bottom width measurements? I have very large hips for my proportions, and I wear my casual shirts untucked. To prevent the bottom from flaring sideways, the bottom width has to be in the range of 21-22" usually.

Lastly, do either the gitman bros camp shirt or Epaulet fits have chest pockets?

Last edited:

nycs10011

Reaction score
Over the years Epaulet has become a big part of my wardrobe. The BK location was one of the first shops I frequented when I started wearing more than Levis and T-shirts. Since then I've settled into sport coats, dress pants, and a tie on weekdays. I imagine this doesn't make me very representative of the market, but I keep coming back for the tailoring.

I never get around to posting pics because I take terrible selfies that don't do the finished product justice. I'd love a thread or an Instagram account dedicated to custom items being made up. It would be really cool to see my next jacket get posted before it boxed up and shipped out but understand this probably isn't realistic.

I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming NYC visit. I'd like to dial in my shirt fit. I'm sure it could be done via email but it's the kind of thing I rather do in person.

Anyway, I'm a happy customer. Keep doing what you're doing!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Alright, you've convinced me on the fabric. I've never ordered an Epaulet shirt before so I'm trying to decide the make up. What is the sleeve length if I get a long sleeve with the medium gitman bros camp shirt fit? I would go for short sleeve, but 9.25" sleeve length is too long compared to my favorite T-shirt that is 7.5" (perfect looking on my arms).

Alternatively, I'm not sure if I should just get a button down collar/Epaulet fit. 99% of my shirts are button down collars with generous rolls.

For medium gitman bros camp shirt fit & for large Epaulet fit, what are the bottom width measurements? I have very large hips for my proportions, and I wear my casual shirts untucked. To prevent the bottom from flaring sideways, the bottom width has to be in the range of 21-22" usually.

Lastly, do either the gitman bros camp shirt or Epaulet fits have chest pockets?

Go for the Gitman Camp shirt in Medium given your hips. I don't have exact measurements, but it's a straight cut right down and definitely a more classic and retro vibe than our in-house shirting, which is more tapered.

Figure the Gitman Camp Medium is about a drop five. 40 Chest to a 35 waist, give or take.

For sleeve length, we can actually do whatever you need in long sleeve. You get your full sleeve length by doing this:

1) Measure the yoke (lets say its 18)
2) Measure the sleeve length shoulder seam to cuff (let's say that's 24)
3) Divide the yoke in half and add the sleeve length (9 + 24 = 33 sleeve)

Just include that sleeve length number on your order and they'll do that at no extra charge.

CaptainCrunchy

Reaction score
Go for the Gitman Camp shirt in Medium given your hips. I don't have exact measurements, but it's a straight cut right down and definitely a more classic and retro vibe than our in-house shirting, which is more tapered.

Figure the Gitman Camp Medium is about a drop five. 40 Chest to a 35 waist, give or take.

For sleeve length, we can actually do whatever you need in long sleeve. You get your full sleeve length by doing this:

1) Measure the yoke (lets say its 18)
2) Measure the sleeve length shoulder seam to cuff (let's say that's 24)
3) Divide the yoke in half and add the sleeve length (9 + 24 = 33 sleeve)

Just include that sleeve length number on your order and they'll do that at no extra charge.
Apologies for going back and forth but I'm trying to figure out my preference --
For your Epaulet shirting, what are the measurements that can be changed? Do any of the shirting options include a chest pocket?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Preview........

1A73B9DE-1515-4F78-9CF0-CBA936478F6F.jpeg

smmrfld

Reaction score
Thought of one more thread idea...

I've always loved Mike's take on some of the behind the scenes/industry insight type posts. A recent example would be his view on the collapse of Unionmade. Same goes for the decline in interest for Alden footwear or why particular items failed or succeeded.

I know this also usually comes up on Reddit AMAs. I think it is a unique perspective and has definitely impacted my buying habits, EP or otherwise.
I find Mike's content like that absolutely fascinating as well. Always a good read, and he has some special insights that are always interesting.

edmundrz

Reaction score

I have two pair of Sandow and one Wilhelm. They are very different cuts.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just finished up the video! This is going live tomorrow and it's unlike anything we've ever done before. We're offering the Doyle, Sinclair, Rivet, and Parka in the same perfect, gorgeous shade of chestnut corduroy.

The base cloth comes from Japan. We make up all of the garments in white and then dye the whole thing in one consistent batch. The resulting clothes are insanely soft and comfortable. They're preshrunk, colorfast, and set to break in and fade out beautifully. You can mix and match and create your own two or three piece combinations of everything.. and of course all of the items work brilliantly as separates.

The fabric is 8oz so basically a year-round weight except for the really hot days in Summer. We'll look to deliver this by mid-February, and it's a perfect transition cloth from Winter into Spring.

We'll do a 20% discount with preordering, and I think that you guys will be really impressed with the pricing! As always, this stuff is all made entirely from start to finish in Los Angeles.

Oh I tried something new with text overlays in this video.. lmk what you guys think of it.

pekingman

Reaction score
Go for the Gitman Camp shirt in Medium ...

... Just include that sleeve length number on your order and they'll do that at no extra charge.

Is that just for the Camp collar fit? An extra inch in sleeve length for me would tip the scale in terms of jumping in on the Gitman shirts (fine to pay a surcharge even if needed given the quality and price).

I wore a pair today. :)

Moleskin in the Taylor cut today here in Beijing - definitely need to get another pair of these (though they are tough enough that I don't think this pair is going to fail any time soon...!)

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is that just for the Camp collar fit? An extra inch in sleeve length for me would tip the scale in terms of jumping in on the Gitman shirts (fine to pay a surcharge even if needed given the quality and price).

Moleskin in the Taylor cut today here in Beijing - definitely need to get another pair of these (though they are tough enough that I don't think this pair is going to fail any time soon...!)

Oh no we can absolutely do that all of the Gitman shirts, there’s no upcharge for changes in sleeve or body length.

For sleeve adjustments:

1) either tell me to add or subtract length from spec (in half inch increments) or

2) you can just provide the sleeve length number down to the half inch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads