• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Expanding the scope of the thread is an awesome idea. The EP community is far broader than just sizing questions. It is kind of sad to be on the back end of the Styleforum-boom (remembering 2009-2011 as "glory days"), but can understand why it's dropped off with the boom of social media platforms.

Mike and his pepsi rolex photos were my first prompt to get a "big expensive watch" when I got out of school. After a few years and a few successful cases, it's still an aspirational hobby/fascination. But looking at others' pics and hearing their stories is almost as satisfying as looking at one's own wrist.

IMG_2868.JPG
IMG_2869.JPG

I'm with Mike on the two-tone bandwagon for this one. Tudor Black Bay S&G (41mm). Love the size and the weight of it. It also reminds me of the Reagan era. I like that there's not a ton of two-tone out there right now in my professional circle (steel bands or gtfo). Also pictured w/ EP shirts and jackets, to just tie the bow a bit more on this post.

adelorenzo

Reaction score
Some killer watches on here! I got my first mechanical watch about 2.5 years ago. Seiko Turtle re-issue with replica of the OG waffle strap. I do also rock a metal bracelet sometimes Paired today with a cord Doyle.

IMG_20190314_093331-01.jpeg

IMG_20190314_100617-02.jpeg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, today's newsletter has two things to note:

1) It's the LAST day for Southwick Single Cuts. If you want a Suit, Sportcoat, or Trouser... gotta order it by tonight.

2) The Madras shirts are selling well, and I shot a quick video recapping the top five fabrics. I hold them against a lineup of swatches to represent the pants and shorts that you most likely already own...

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wrist shots! Cue George Costanza hand model GIFs.

Cool to learn about the MKII - which dates my latecomer awareness to sometime north of 2013 that there was this thing called #menswear and on this thing was a shop called Epaulet New York. Re watches churned through a learning process like everyone else. I started wearing newer Brit marques over the last 5+ years as my EDCs - Bremont in their more winning uncluttered, tool watch makeups, and Schofield for going all in on design as a principle itself. Vintage kits always had me in witting or unwitting competition with the scene around me, triggered a depthless sense of imposter syndrome. Conversely Halios Tropik bronze diver was my only flirtation w/ price is nice microbrands, but I'm really liking the work of Orion Watches, and Oak and Oscar now.

n.b. Bremont (And incidental EP content - mocha herringbone sinclair, burgundy IS flannel - which I think will retire for the season as of today, 70f and all that)

View attachment 1143790

@sartoria vacua that Bremont looks so ace! The people behind the brand are really nice too.. I went to one of their events in NYC with the Red Bar club.

Also, one day I want to learn how to write like you!

Expanding the scope of the thread is an awesome idea. The EP community is far broader than just sizing questions. It is kind of sad to be on the back end of the Styleforum-boom (remembering 2009-2011 as "glory days"), but can understand why it's dropped off with the boom of social media platforms.

Mike and his pepsi rolex photos were my first prompt to get a "big expensive watch" when I got out of school. After a few years and a few successful cases, it's still an aspirational hobby/fascination. But looking at others' pics and hearing their stories is almost as satisfying as looking at one's own wrist.

View attachment 1143842 View attachment 1143841

I'm with Mike on the two-tone bandwagon for this one. Tudor Black Bay S&G (41mm). Love the size and the weight of it. It also reminds me of the Reagan era. I like that there's not a ton of two-tone out there right now in my professional circle (steel bands or gtfo). Also pictured w/ EP shirts and jackets, to just tie the bow a bit more on this post.

@El Argentino first off, love that we're #twotonebros! We're a rare breed!

there-are-dozens-of-us-literally-dozens-of-us.jpg

I'm a big fan of the new Tudor products overall, the fit and finish on those watches are basically perfect.

And yeah, I'd say that the heyday of SF ran until maybe 2014. A few factors changed. I think that the B&S redesign and Grailed bled off a lot of the overall traffic to the site. I actually first came to Styleforum because of a B&S posting that was linked on Superfuture. Back in the day it was one of the only places where I would get constant updates and discourse, and now of course we have all sorts of social media ways to get that. And I think that the mobile browsing experience discourages users to look around in other threads, so people end up funneling into just the ones they're subscribed to.

But this is super encouraging! Like all of you, I've learned a ton from this site, and I think that we can extend that community spirit to the new guys here. We should talk about fitness next week, and you can make all of our Squat numbers seem pathetically light!

Some killer watches on here! I got my first mechanical watch about 2.5 years ago. Seiko Turtle re-issue with replica of the OG waffle strap. I do also rock a metal bracelet sometimes Paired today with a cord Doyle.

View attachment 1143845

View attachment 1143846

@adelorenzo love it so much on the rubber strap! Seiko has such amazing diver designs. I've tried a few of them, but I have fairly small wrists and they're just too heavy for me to wear. But I always admire them like crazy in pictures.

Speaking of which, there's a parts dealer named "Dagaz" who offers components for Seiko watches to look like unbranded homages of Swiss pieces. Some of them are really nice. I've never owned one, but I've seen a few in the wild. Try searching "Dagaz Watch" on Ebay to check them out.

Last edited:

paxonus

Reaction score
Gonna be on IG live at 1pm PST (about 15 min) to show Madras swatches and a super exciting new sample!

EDIT: no apparently I'm not as IG live is broken all day. Dayum!
What was the super exciting new sample?

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F223E5CE-EEB3-4D49-9873-965F1F1283D4.jpeg
I had been wanting a “real” watch for a long time, and finally splurged on this Longines a little over a month ago. I love it and I’ve been wearing it almost daily since I first got it...got a great deal on it pre-owned from StockX. If it was full price brand new I probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger just yet.

I also happen to be wearing an Epaulet jacket today! I forget what the fabric was called but it’s a fantastic light brown wool-silk-linen mix from a Southwick EFF maybe 2-3 years ago...one of my favorite jackets and I wear it almost weekly.

Duke Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The IS Camp Collar shirts look fantastic. I was sure when Mike first announced the project a while back that I was going to want a short-sleeved one since I hear camp collar and have such a specific summer-only vibe in mind, but these look to be a whole other beast - and quite unique. Now if I could just decide between the Indigo & Sage and Ancient Steel & Scarlet. @Epaulet - any discernible difference in the hand between them?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
View attachment 1143911 I had been wanting a “real” watch for a long time, and finally splurged on this Longines a little over a month ago. I love it and I’ve been wearing it almost daily since I first got it...got a great deal on it pre-owned from StockX. If it was full price brand new I probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger just yet.

I also happen to be wearing an Epaulet jacket today! I forget what the fabric was called but it’s a fantastic light brown wool-silk-linen mix from a Southwick EFF maybe 2-3 years ago...one of my favorite jackets and I wear it almost weekly.

@Beatlegeuse wow, I love that dial! Longines has been making some absolutely killer stuff lately.. I think that @Michigan Planner has a retro panda chronograph that they put out recently. This thing looks great.

The IS Camp Collar shirts look fantastic. I was sure when Mike first announced the project a while back that I was going to want a short-sleeved one since I hear camp collar and have such a specific summer-only vibe in mind, but these look to be a whole other beast - and quite unique. Now if I could just decide between the Indigo & Sage and Ancient Steel & Scarlet. @Epaulet - any discernible difference in the hand between them?

@Duke Silver thanks dude! We're definitely selling more short sleeves, but I've had about a dozen guys order long sleeves. It's really dope when you roll up the sleeves.

All of the fabrics have the same yarn and effectively the same weight and hand. Sometimes, really dark fabrics tend to feel a bit softer and heavier, but these are tiny shades of difference.

Indigo and Sage is really popular and a great option. I'd say get that if you tend to wear chinos as a default. And maybe get Steel/Scarlet if you tend to wear jeans as a default. But they both basically go with everything.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1143911 I had been wanting a “real” watch for a long time, and finally splurged on this Longines a little over a month ago. I love it and I’ve been wearing it almost daily since I first got it...got a great deal on it pre-owned from StockX. If it was full price brand new I probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger just yet.

That's a beautiful Longines, I really love the detail on the dial.

How was your experience with StockX? They are HQed here in Detroit and I know a couple of the guys who run the watch side of things there as they usually come to our Detroit RedBar G2Gs. I have surfed around on their site a few times but can never actually figure out how things work or how to actually buy things there. But that may just be because I'm getting too old for the technology these days!

Here's my Longines:
Photo Mar 14, 4 29 38 PM.jpg

Duke Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet Thanks. Looks like it's gonna be Indigo & Sage. My sweaty Italian legs can't deal with denim above 75 degrees or so. What do you think - horn or MOP? Madras seems like a match to MOP, generally, but I'm thinking the horn might be a nice way to really tie the shirt into earth tone territory.

flashjack

Reaction score
Standing with my Seiko brothers:
I recently picked up an skx033 after warily eyeing off many eBay auctions from the Philippines. Finally picked one up from a guy in my area and I don't think I've taken it off since. 20190315_073457.jpg

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mark important moments in time with watches; graduations, weddings, birth of children, etc. Today’s watch is my wedding gift from my wife. It’s an Air-King (114200) from the year we got married (2009).

I am reasonably small wristed and prefer a smaller, more classic dial. At first I thought I would prefer one of the mid-sized watches in the Rolex lineup (Sub, GMT, Milgauss, etc.), but when I found this specific watch with its 34mm dial, I was all in.

19CD828D-66C7-4650-99FB-251C829243CD.jpeg

Tomorrow will be the watch I bought celebrating my youngest’s birth.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite having more clothes than one person can logically wear in a year, I find myself to be strictly monogamous when it comes to watches. My hands are a complete freak show (6 inch wrists, size 6.5 ring finger, but with a 9.5 inch spread from pinky tip to thumb tip), so a watch that is remotely balanced on my wrist is a rare find.

IMG_4844.JPG

I've also learned that it is helpful to start 'em young:
IMG_7009.JPG

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Beatlegeuse wow, I love that dial! Longines has been making some absolutely killer stuff lately.. I think that @Michigan Planner has a retro panda chronograph that they put out recently. This thing looks great.

Thanks Mike! I am loving this too...I’m also a little afraid it’s going to start another expensive addiction.

That's a beautiful Longines, I really love the detail on the dial.

How was your experience with StockX? They are HQed here in Detroit and I know a couple of the guys who run the watch side of things there as they usually come to our Detroit RedBar G2Gs. I have surfed around on their site a few times but can never actually figure out how things work or how to actually buy things there. But that may just be because I'm getting too old for the technology these days!

Here's my Longines:
View attachment 1143990

Thanks! Your Longines is killer as well! I think StockX is a great place for shoes (I’m still a bit of a sneakerhead) and watches. I’ve gotten a couple really great deals there recently, and if you download the app it’s very user friendly and easy to use!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads