• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah man I'm sorry to see that. Yes it looks like the rear seam is pulling a bit. This is really easy fix for a tailor or a dry cleaner, they'll just take the seam in by a quarter inch or so and reinforce it. Usually can be done right on the spot.

so I got these fixed back in august and finally wore them yesterday. Now the seam is loose in 2 other spots. I’m not too big for these or anything…

back to the dry cleaner

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
so I got these fixed back in august and finally wore them yesterday. Now the seam is loose in 2 other spots. I’m not too big for these or anything…

back to the dry cleaner

That is really strange... feel free to email me the details and I can look at that. If it's the same seam, it probably just needs to be fixed throughout. We can of course compensate you for the cost of that, but it's generally an easy and inexpensive procedure.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys! I spent all day yesterday in a massive photoshoot for our Alpaca project with Styleforum. Everything drops tomorrow morning! Here's some preview shots, but we'll have literally something for everyone...

Sweater Pine1.jpg
Scarf Boucle Oatmeal3.jpg
Scarf Purple Ethinc1.jpg
Stole Ultraviolet3.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is there a direct link to this?

Thanks for asking! There will be, yes. I was planning a 7AM launch today, but still some work to do, so it will be later today. Don't worry, there's a ton of product to show and it's planned to be the biggest project that Styleforum has ever done. Proceeds from every sale will go to the ALS Foundation and Styleforum's operations and events budget.

There's so many beautiful items! And we'll have a ton of info on the factory and the process... which is impressively sustainable and eco-friendly.

We'll be taking orders on the whole collection for a little over a week. Delivery will happen by or before Thanksgiving. For most delivery destinations, it will be much earlier than that... around the first week of Nov.

Scarf Doubleface Camel4.jpg
Stole Grey Houndstooth3.jpg

And it's not only scarves... we have two stunning hand-knit crewneck sweaters too. They're made by indigenious Pervuvians, and are among the best (if not officially the best) sweaters that we've ever offered....

Sweater Grey2.jpg

Last edited:

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Eva, you’ve heard of “olive reverse sateen”? OrSlow uses it for their fatigue pants and military shirts. I think a bunch of others menswear shops have been using it recently—Taylor Stitch did their pants in it last year or so, for example.

It’s a great mil-type fabric and color and would be _absolutely perfect_ as a doyle jacket. I have an OrSlow shirt version and like it but every time I put it on I think “I wish this had doyle pockets!”

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
olive reverse sateen

Hey Jeff, thanks for the heads up. I'm checking this out right now, and honestly it looks really similar to the Military Sateen that we're using right now. Here's our Rivet Chino...

Rivet Olive Sateen Detail.jpg

And then here's a Nepenthes Pant in "Olive Reverse Sateen"

Which is - wow - $276. And they didn't trim that huge flyaway thread on the buttonhole. And they gave the model a white shirt that's like 3" too long in the sleeves. And apparently the hem was styled by Spike Jonze in 1997.

Anyway... I digress... but pretty sure we're offering almost the exact same fabric.

WDSS21P2-15_18439ec1-7bf9-4152-930e-37b8566b7aba_2400x.jpg

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Hey Jeff, thanks for the heads up. I'm checking this out right now, and honestly it looks really similar to the Military Sateen that we're using right now. Here's our Rivet Chino...

View attachment 1839003

And then here's a Nepenthes Pant in "Olive Reverse Sateen"

Which is - wow - $276. And they didn't trim that huge flyaway thread on the buttonhole. And they gave the model a white shirt that's like 3" too long in the sleeves. And apparently the hem was styled by Spike Jonze in 1997.

Anyway... I digress... but pretty sure we're offering almost the exact same fabric.

WDSS21P2-15_18439ec1-7bf9-4152-930e-37b8566b7aba_2400x.jpg
Haha, love it. Could you do it as a doyle? Would it be out of LA or Rochester?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Haha, love it. Could you do it as a doyle? Would it be out of LA or Rochester?

Both, actually. I've got this Doyle launching on Tuesday via preorder... it's our Magee "Salt & Pepper" heavyweight tweed.

I can informally offer Sateen Doyles along with that. Since we're only making a few, it would be a bit more expensive than the usual preorder price, but way cheaper than RTC. Figure $175 for Sateen in LA. Versus about $395 for it at Hickey.

Oh and I'm working out the tweed price now, but I think we can offer it via preorder for $235. Pretty boss price as this is really expensive cloth. Full size range of course.

Doyle Salt Pepper1.jpg
Doyle Salt Pepper Pocket.jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet obviously very subjective, but what element (if any) of scratchiness is there with the Alpaca scarves? My mom is chronically cold around her neck, but also chronically complains about anything wool (even flipping cashmere) being scratchy/irritating against skin.
Also, is the mist check a muted green? Can't quite pick up how the shade resolves on my screens.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Both, actually. I've got this Doyle launching on Tuesday via preorder... it's our Magee "Salt & Pepper" heavyweight tweed.

I can informally offer Sateen Doyles along with that. Since we're only making a few, it would be a bit more expensive than the usual preorder price, but way cheaper than RTC. Figure $175 for Sateen in LA. Versus about $395 for it at Hickey.

Oh and I'm working out the tweed price now, but I think we can offer it via preorder for $235. Pretty boss price as this is really expensive cloth. Full size range of course.

View attachment 1839335 View attachment 1839336
I’m in! Possibly for both of these.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Epaulet obviously very subjective, but what element (if any) of scratchiness is there with the Alpaca scarves? My mom is chronically cold around her neck, but also chronically complains about anything wool (even flipping cashmere) being scratchy/irritating against skin.
Also, is the mist check a muted green? Can't quite pick up how the shade resolves on my screens.

Disclaimer: I've been working on this launch for weeks and I know an absolutely absurd amount about these products and Alpaca wool production in general. We'll have a dedicated thread and I'll be most likely driving everyone insane with the volume of information that I'll be tossing out.

Hey Eric!

I'm pretty sensitive to wool, and I don't feel any scratchiness on the baby alpaca scarves. I'd say that they have the smoothness of a pure cashmere, and about 90% the softness of it. They're definitely a world away from the Scottish lambswool scarves that we used to sell at this price point.

That said, if you're looking for your mom, I'd recommend these two styles for the best feel.

Oh and Mist Check is a natural undyed Alpaca color, so imagine this on the animal itself. Honestly really hard to pin down, but it's kind of a light grey with the slightest olive-tan tone.

BOUCLE SCARVES
These are a blend of Alpaca and Silk. There is absolutely no scratch on this. They're cozy and warm with an awesome texture. And FWIW, ever woman who has seen these samples has expressed a pretty extreme desire to own one. I think that they're the best gift item of the group for a mom, wife, GF, sister, etc. We have two beautiful neutral colors that go with everything.
Boucle Leader.jpg

LIGHTWEIGHT STOLES
These two stoles (Ultraviolet & Ombre) are pure baby alpaca, but lighter than the houndsooth ones. I don't detect any scratch on these, and they're large enough to fully cover your neck and shoulders. I think that the colors are seriously boss too. If your mom is regularly covering her neck, then one of these is more versatile with styling given its bigger size. The ultraviolet one is a cool statement piece all on its own.

Light Stole Leader.jpg

Last edited:

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I've been working on this launch for weeks and I know an absolutely absurd amount about these products and Alpaca wool production in general. We'll have a dedicated thread and I'll be most likely driving everyone insane with the volume of information that I'll be tossing out.

Hey Eric!

I'm pretty sensitive to wool, and I don't feel any scratchiness on the baby alpaca scarves. I'd say that they have the smoothness of a pure cashmere, and about 90% the softness of it. They're definitely a world away from the Scottish lambswool scarves that we used to sell at this price point.

That said, if you're looking for your mom, I'd recommend these two styles for the best feel.

Oh and Mist Check is a natural undyed Alpaca color, so imagine this on the animal itself. Honestly really hard to pin down, but it's kind of a light grey with the slightest olive-tan tone.

BOUCLE SCARVES
These are a blend of Alpaca and Silk. There is absolutely no scratch on this. They're cozy and warm with an awesome texture. And FWIW, ever woman who has seen these samples has expressed a pretty extreme desire to own one. I think that they're the best gift item of the group for a mom, wife, GF, sister, etc. We have two beautiful neutral colors that go with everything.
View attachment 1839339

LIGHTWEIGHT STOLES
These two stoles (Ultraviolet & Ombre) are pure baby alpaca, but lighter than the houndsooth ones. I don't detect any scratch on these, and they're large enough to fully cover your neck and shoulders. I think that the colors are seriously boss too. If your mom is regularly covering her neck, then one of these is more versatile with styling given its bigger size. The ultraviolet one is a cool statement piece all on its own.

View attachment 1839340
My favorite scarf of all time was alpaca. Very very soft.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet - Can you comment on how stretchy the alpaca sweaters are? Looking at the measurements, I think I'm probably right between a small and a medium and the pictures of the model in the medium look a little long in the body. So as somebody who is nowhere near as tall as the model I'm leaning towards the small. I think the shoulder and chest dimensions of the small should be fine for me but if there is just a tad bit of stretchiness, that would definitely be a point towards going with the small instead of the medium.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads