• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick note... we just received our very first Aero jacket in Horween Natural Chromexcel! This leather is in crazy short supply right now, but wow.. it's really worth the wait!

I'll have a video to post in a day or two as well. I think we'll try for a new Aero promotion on Thursday. They sent some gorgeous UK steerhide leather swatches which make for a softer and lighter jacket than our typical horsehide models. We have four beautiful colors in that, and we can promote it alongside all of the other leathers that we offer.

View attachment 1789357 View attachment 1789358
Whoever this wound up with needs to post a follow-up pic in a year and then every year after that. That's such an amazing leather.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What's the unstretched waist measurement of the large? 36 rivet shorts fit me well but I usually have to wear a belt to keep them up through the day.

Unstretched is about 2" smaller than tagged, so a 36 is 34" all around. When you have elastic waistbands, these aren't really informative guides.

I definitely recommend getting the Large - I think that will be a great fit on you! The elastic will hold it up on its own, but you do have the drawstring to further dial it in.

Whoever this wound up with needs to post a follow-up pic in a year and then every year after that. That's such an amazing leather.

For real! That jacket is a total masterpiece!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I wonder how much plotz’ing actually happened…

47BF295A-6641-4498-B8AC-9586BB65EEDF.jpeg

Jlancia

Reaction score
Unstretched is about 2" smaller than tagged, so a 36 is 34" all around. When you have elastic waistbands, these aren't really informative guides.

I definitely recommend getting the Large - I think that will be a great fit on you! The elastic will hold it up on its own, but you do have the drawstring to further dial it in.

For real! That jacket is a total masterpiece!

Awesome, in for a dark earth pair! Looks like a great all-purpose fabric.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome, in for a dark earth pair! Looks like a great all-purpose fabric.

Thank you so much! Yes it’s a rad fabric, we’ll be running a lot in this between the EZ Pa

I'd like to think I've read a lot of Epaulet copy over the years, but I definitely missed this one and did not plotz.

“did not plotz yet”

FTFY

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
"Karras" Jacket concept - what do you think?

Hey guys,

We're planning to meet with a patternmaker this week, and I've got a new jacket idea. I'm curious what you think of it.

A little while ago, I was rewatching "The Exorcist." And outside of all the awesome visuals in the movie, I took note to this jacket worn by Jason Miller (aka. Father Damien Karras)...

Karras.jpg

It's a awesome classic windbreaker / coach's jacket. I've been flirting with the idea of making one of these for a while, and I found this design really inspiring. It's cool to have the movie as a callback for it too. When you watch the film, you can tell that the fabric is matte. It's not the typical shiny polyester used in these jackets today. I'm pretty sure that it's a classic 60/40 fabric (cotton/nylon) that was commonly used around that time. Plus... check out the open patch pockets! When have you seen those on a coach's jacket.

So, in terms of our design, I'm thinking the following:

1) Start with the Doyle as a base. The jacket in the film already has a similar collar, full front closure, and set in sleeves. It's pretty much the same shape already, and this will allow people to order their usual size.

2) I have a source for 60/40 cloth, so we can use that. Will make the item water and wind resistant and give that classic look.

3) I'm thinking to use a full liner. This way, we can even expand into waxed cotton and heavier fabrics if we want.

4) I'm a big fan of buttons, but I'd like to use metal snaps for this to keep that old-school look. Just like the photo.

5) I don't like the elastic sleeve cuffs. I know that's part of the OG shape, but I always find that frustrating and cheap. I'm thinking to give it simple cuffs like a denim jacket. So smaller and thinner than the existing Doyle cuff. This way you can unbutton and roll the sleeves back.

6) I love the patch pockets. I think I'd like to keep them thinner profile like the original, so it will be a traditional one-way patch pocket instead of the two-way patch pocket used on the Doyle. But this jacket will include two interior pockets sewn into the liner. We can even have them close with buttons (the inside pockets that is), so you can carry stuff securely.

7) The screenprint is cool. I can't imagine that we could say "Georgetown University," but I bet we could have it say just "Georgetown" in a similar font. Could be rad if someone really digs the original. And since we'll start this off as a preorder, it can just be a little upgrade that you choose or not.

Let me know what you think... I'd love to hear your feedback! The liner and 60/40 cloth would make it pricier than our usual items, but I think a retail of about $195 would be realistic.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
"Karras" Jacket concept - what do you think?

Hey guys,

We're planning to meet with a patternmaker this week, and I've got a new jacket idea. I'm curious what you think of it.

A little while ago, I was rewatching "The Exorcist." And outside of all the awesome visuals in the movie, I took note to this jacket worn by Jason Miller (aka. Father Damien Karras)...

View attachment 1795133

It's a awesome classic windbreaker / coach's jacket. I've been flirting with the idea of making one of these for a while, and I found this design really inspiring. It's cool to have the movie as a callback for it too. When you watch the film, you can tell that the fabric is matte. It's not the typical shiny polyester used in these jackets today. I'm pretty sure that it's a classic 60/40 fabric (cotton/nylon) that was commonly used around that time. Plus... check out the open patch pockets! When have you seen those on a coach's jacket.

So, in terms of our design, I'm thinking the following:

1) Start with the Doyle as a base. The jacket in the film already has a similar collar, full front closure, and set in sleeves. It's pretty much the same shape already, and this will allow people to order their usual size.

2) I have a source for 60/40 cloth, so we can use that. Will make the item water and wind resistant and give that classic look.

3) I'm thinking to use a full liner. This way, we can even expand into waxed cotton and heavier fabrics if we want.

4) I'm a big fan of buttons, but I'd like to use metal snaps for this to keep that old-school look. Just like the photo.

5) I don't like the elastic sleeve cuffs. I know that's part of the OG shape, but I always find that frustrating and cheap. I'm thinking to give it simple cuffs like a denim jacket. So smaller and thinner than the existing Doyle cuff. This way you can unbutton and roll the sleeves back.

6) I love the patch pockets. I think I'd like to keep them thinner profile like the original, so it will be a traditional one-way patch pocket instead of the two-way patch pocket used on the Doyle. But this jacket will include two interior pockets sewn into the liner. We can even have them close with buttons (the inside pockets that is), so you can carry stuff securely.

7) The screenprint is cool. I can't imagine that we could say "Georgetown University," but I bet we could have it say just "Georgetown" in a similar font. Could be rad if someone really digs the original. And since we'll start this off as a preorder, it can just be a little upgrade that you choose or not.

Let me know what you think... I'd love to hear your feedback! The liner and 60/40 cloth would make it pricier than our usual items, but I think a retail of about $195 would be realistic.
Eat your heart out, Ebbet’s Field!

How about colors?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Eat your heart out, Ebbet’s Field!

How about colors?

Haha yeah, that's totally true.

For colors, there's a lot available, but I think we'd do a pretty trad offering:

Navy, Oxblood, Grey, and Olive.

There are heathered variants of Navy and Grey too.... they have a very cool texture. I think I'm going to get some sample yardage of that and give it and give it a try.

Hey Epaulet, do you still make those fantastic dress belts?

Oh sorry, I don't... we got out of the belt business a few years ago. I'd honestly love to do it again, but our return rate was just insane. Almost 40%. A lot of guys are very committed to matching their belt to their shoes exactly, and it's just impossible to do with online items. If the match isn't spot on (which it often isn't), they'll send it back. Just didn't make financial sense for us to keep going.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
today I learned that Jason Miller's son is Jason Patric

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads