• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sartoria vacua

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi Doyle Owners-

Would you say that the Doyle sizing 38/40/42/44 fits similar to your "structured/lined" business suit sizing, or smaller, or larger?

Thanks,
A newbie.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Send it in to the official Rolex Service Center in NYC.
It often only takes 4-6 weeks including shipping times.

ROLEX SERVICE CENTER NEW YORK‬
Fifth Avenue 665
10022 New York
United States
(833) 765-3900

Good call yeah. There's one here in Beverly Hills too.. I'd probably just drive it over to them.

I've actually had it fixed twice over the past five years at different service centers, but it's definitely time to have a proper overhaul done.

Curious about this shadow ink — looks very grey and not like the previous runs of shadow ink. Is this a different dye?

The sample is a bit lighter than the last shadow ink, production will most likely be darker. All of these colors are a little variable with the exact tone that they make up. But it's absolutely going to be a handsome dark grey with that cool vintage effect.

nice, been on the wishlist since the late summer teaser.

are the measurements accurate? n.b. the 46 mac reads shorter than the 46 doyle.

I was curious about the length on these too. They seem really short.

Oh thank you guys... I updated the length for size 40 but neglected to scale it out. Chart is all fixed. I'd say that it's a typical mac coat length. Perhaps a touch on the shorter side, which makes sense for a casual unlined garment like this.

Hi Doyle Owners-

Would you say that the Doyle sizing 38/40/42/44 fits similar to your "structured/lined" business suit sizing, or smaller, or larger?

Thanks,
A newbie.

I'd say that most of our guys will go for the same size (get a 40 if they wear a 40 suit) or size down one (get a 38 if they wear a 39 suit). The Doyle and Sinclair are a bit less fitted than the typical suit or sportcoat that a SF member would wear.

Last edited:

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Hi Doyle Owners-

Thanks,
A newbie.

I own, like, 15+ Doyles. I wear a 40 suit jacket in most American brands (the JCrew Ludlow, for example) and a 42/52 in European brands or fashion-forward American brands. I’m broad-chested and have long arms.

I wear a 42 in the Doyle. I first bought some 40s, but found them to be too tight in the chest and short in the arms, though good at the waist. Depending on your build, you may be able to pull off the same size as your suit jacket but I think most likely one size up.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I own, like, 15+ Doyles. I wear a 40 suit jacket in most American brands (the JCrew Ludlow, for example) and a 42/52 in European brands or fashion-forward American brands. I’m broad-chested and have long arms.

I wear a 42 in the Doyle. I first bought some 40s, but found them to be too tight in the chest and short in the arms, though good at the waist. Depending on your build, you may be able to pull off the same size as your suit jacket but I think most likely one size up.

That is my concern.

I wear a 44R or 45R suit (mostly Brooks Brothers) depending on the maker. My shirt size is 17.5 x 34 slim fit meaning I have a very big neck, broad shoulders, and larger chest (due to weight lifting and genetics) but very short arms for my height. I have an athletic build but am not fat. That is why suit jacket sides always have to be taken-in to lessen the body size of the jacket and the arms significantly shortened. I also wear Large undershirts but they are very close fitting, L (closer fit) or XL (forgiving fit) sweaters depending on the maker.

By the numbers I think a 44 would be too small but numbers do not always tell the entire story. I was going to purchase one of the on-sale ones as a test but maybe I should get a regular one to try on for fit and then can return if needed. If I do really need a 46, then it will only be custom for me which I am happy to pay for because I can also get the arms shortened 2" at no additional cost. But, I also do not want to take the leap and go full custom first if the 46 will be too big and non-returnable.

My Measured Shirt:
24 Chest
20 Shoulder
24.5 Sleeve

My Measured Suit/Sports Jacket:
25 Chest
21 Shoulder
24 Sleeve
30 Jacket

1614973847824.png

apolloali

Reaction score
That is my concern.

I wear a 44R or 45R suit (mostly Brooks Brothers) depending on the maker. My shirt size is 17.5 x 34 slim fit meaning I have a very big neck, broad shoulders, and larger chest (due to weight lifting and genetics) but very short arms for my height. I have an athletic build but am not fat. That is why suit jacket sides always have to be taken-in to lessen the body size of the jacket and the arms significantly shortened. I also wear Large undershirts but they are very close fitting, L (closer fit) or XL (forgiving fit) sweaters depending on the maker.

By the numbers I think a 44 would be too small but numbers do not always tell the entire story. I was going to purchase one of the on-sale ones as a test but maybe I should get a regular one to try on for fit and then can return if needed. If I do really need a 46, then it will only be custom for me which I am happy to pay for because I can also get the arms shortened 2" at no additional cost. But, I also do not want to take the leap and go full custom first if the 46 will be too big and non-returnable.

My Measured Shirt:
24 Chest
20 Shoulder
24.5 Sleeve

My Measured Suit/Sports Jacket:
25 Chest
21 Shoulder
24 Sleeve
30 Jacket

View attachment 1568131

Not the same kind of 44R as you,but I'm average height and arm length, kind of broad and I go 44R and 44R in both suit jackets and doyles. No advice on fitting since Eva can help there, but I find the Doyle the easiest EP garment to fit to size whereas I need to size up for some others.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 3.02.04 PM.png

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not the same kind of 44R as you,but I'm average height and arm length, kind of broad and I go 44R and 44R in both suit jackets and doyles. No advice on fitting since Eva can help there, but I find the Doyle the easiest EP garment to fit to size whereas I need to size up for some others.

View attachment 1568144

What is an "EP garment"?

Sorry but the last time I purchased and/or got fitted for a suit was several years ago (due to casual attire at work). I recently passed a milestone birthday and my wife would like me to start dressing like an adult again (as I did when I was younger and wearing more formal attire to work); meaning, more chinos and wool trousers and jeans less often. And while she is not set on a tie all the time, a casual jacket like the Doyle seemed to be a good fit for button down shirts, chinos, and casual shoes.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
My Measured Shirt:
24 Chest
20 Shoulder
24.5 Sleeve

Interesting. My shirt measurements are 23.5 / 18.5 / 25.

As to the Doyle, the sleeves on the 42 would be long enough for you. 44 chest would probably be fine. 44 shoulder should be good.

I'd lean towards 44.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My Measured Shirt:
24 Chest
20 Shoulder
24.5 Sleeve

Interesting. My shirt measurements are 23.5 / 18.5 / 25.

As to the Doyle, the sleeves on the 42 would be long enough for you. 44 chest would probably be fine. 44 shoulder should be good.

I'd lean towards 44.

I probably should not post this publicly but someone on the other side of @Epaulet IG (I assume Eva) was willing to let me purchase an on-sale 44 Doyle to try-on and keep if it fits but return (an otherwise non-returnable item) for a credit towards a 46 custom if needed. This only goes to prove how great she and the brand are which also confirms everything I have read. ?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I probably should not post this publicly but someone on the other side of @Epaulet IG (I assume Eva) was willing to let me purchase an on-sale 44 Doyle to try-on and keep if it fits but return (an otherwise non-returnable item) for a credit towards a 46 custom if needed. This only goes to prove how great she and the brand are which also confirms everything I have read. ?

Thanks so much, yup that was me! Instagram is always a great venue to chat, and our site has a new chat feature which also sends notifications directly to me. I think that you're going to love this jacket!

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks so much, yup that was me! Instagram is always a great venue to chat, and our site has a new chat feature which also sends notifications directly to me. I think that you're going to love this jacket!

I am excited but also worried because people post in this thread that they have 15+ Doyles. My wife and I have chosen a simple life and have lived in very small apartments, currently 789sqft., so I only have so much room to store clothes and shoes; As a result, I must choose my Doyle colors and fabrics wisely so they are versatile.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
That's great, gotta' love the personal touch here.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
I am excited but also worried because people post in this thread that they have 15+ Doyles. My wife and I have chosen a simple life and have lived in very small apartments, currently 789sqft., so I only have so much room to store clothes and shoes; As a result, I must choose my Doyle colors and fabrics wisely so they are versatile.
Ha! My wife and I are the opposite. We have chosen a complicated life with lots of clothes and shoes.

For the doyles, hard to go wrong with the classics: your pick of navy, olive, or tobacco duck canvas, and your pick of the navy or grey sashikos. Plus a natural or olive linen for the summer. Plus maybe a wool one for the...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads