• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dougie

Reaction score
here to co-sign on the sweatpants. i marie kondo'd a very reliable pair (steven alan, if you're interested; ultimately too heavy and too slim but still i missed them) in an extremely shortsighted move before wearing sweatpants became the thing we're all doing all the time, and then held out against a new pair as, like, a gesture against everything the world became until ep launched its run last month and let me tell you: they own. i bought the grey ones because the tiedyed camos made me clutch my pearls and then two weeks later i bought the thunder dragon whatevers also because, like, they're sweatpants, they're gonna look like sweatpants no matter what so you might as well get weird with it. (i hope this does not come off as faint praise in any way.)

and they are, really, the best sweatpants i've ever owned. (other ep pieces that are actually the best of their breed that i have: the gats in ghost horsehide, the doyle in raisin sashiko, the suit i got married in.) all the stuff in eva's writeup is true: the fabric weight is exactly right at midheavy, the cut is relaxed without being sloppy (again, they're sweatpants, do with that what you will; what i will do with that is go to the grocery store and chase my kid around the playground and ideally not much more but i was not a sweatpants outside guy a month ago so who knows--the scale slides). when i put them on i feel like i'm being extra nice to myself.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Epaulet - figured i'd fly a couple of applies-to-me kites before diving back into the shadows (and all the poor form that implies) --- what's the current ETA on the chesnut sashiko preorder lot? (... and could i get a check on order 50361 sometime)? huzzah 2021~!

Yup, I gotcha!

1) Me and Ming spent all of today organizing the second batch of dye runs. I'm taking them to the wash house in the morning and I expect to get it back in the middle of next week. So that's going to be:

* All of the Rivets, Doyles, and Kamigatas in Indigo, Black, Oxblood, Ultraviolet, Steel Moss, Gunmetal, Chestnut, and Mink
* Heavyweight t-shirts in every single one of those colors. We'll have between 8 and 24 units per color.
* Open stock Rivets will be available in Gunmetal, Steel Moss, and Mink.

Sinclairs will finish in about 3 more weeks. We only had about 8 or 9 units on the preorder, so I'll probably do about 25 pieces and have some open stock in basic colors.

2) Will get back to you on the custom one!

Thanks Eva and all, makes sense to me now. I'm unsure whether to keep / hot wash it or to send it back and get say, a 38. Eva, I'll start an email thread with you regardless.

For comparison, here's how my old 40 Doyle fits:

View attachment 1540437

..compared to the new, Mink one (have a look at the sleeves) View attachment 1540438

I don't know if hot washing it is going to make it fit right, and I don't want to void the return policy by doing so. I could use an opinion on how much it's going to shrink before I do.

I'm not what I'd call fashionable (note cargo pants and tie dye, heh) but I really like Epaulet and it's helping me find a sense of style slowly but surely. So thanks. As an East Coast outdoorsman, I really like my woolrich donegal tweed! The tweet jacket fits good so if I have to trade the mink doyle in for a smaller size, know that the donegal tweed fits great too, so I'll want to try and match that - not sure which spec those were manufactured to. I know it's a slightly different cut in a sinclair.

Okay awesome, thank you for the photos. It's a bit hard to gauge the sleeve length with the cuffs unbuttoned, but it does look bigger.

Go ahead and give it the hottest wash and the hottest dry that you can. I'd invite everyone to try this who wants to.. it will not void the return policy whatsoever. These garments are run through a massive wash cycle to make them how they are. It won't be harmed at all, but it will most likely be a bit smaller.

Anyone with natural sashiko will definitely want to do that. We run it through a single industrial wash to shrink it, but you need a few of those to really hit the posted sizes.

My 2020 Doyle was longer and had a lot more space in the chest compared to my 2019 Doyle’s.

Yup, that makes sense, the pre-2020 product was always a bit smaller than it should have been

here to co-sign on the sweatpants. i marie kondo'd a very reliable pair (steven alan, if you're interested; ultimately too heavy and too slim but still i missed them) in an extremely shortsighted move before wearing sweatpants became the thing we're all doing all the time, and then held out against a new pair as, like, a gesture against everything the world became until ep launched its run last month and let me tell you: they own. i bought the grey ones because the tiedyed camos made me clutch my pearls and then two weeks later i bought the thunder dragon whatevers also because, like, they're sweatpants, they're gonna look like sweatpants no matter what so you might as well get weird with it. (i hope this does not come off as faint praise in any way.)

and they are, really, the best sweatpants i've ever owned. (other ep pieces that are actually the best of their breed that i have: the gats in ghost horsehide, the doyle in raisin sashiko, the suit i got married in.) all the stuff in eva's writeup is true: the fabric weight is exactly right at midheavy, the cut is relaxed without being sloppy (again, they're sweatpants, do with that what you will; what i will do with that is go to the grocery store and chase my kid around the playground and ideally not much more but i was not a sweatpants outside guy a month ago so who knows--the scale slides). when i put them on i feel like i'm being extra nice to myself.

Thanks so much for the writeup, really glad to hear that you're so pleased with them!

I'm honestly in love with the sweatpants. Compared to the ones that we made back in 2015... actually there's no comparison. These are better in every way. The pockets are actually functional.

And yeah, I think that the dye effects really work with these, and they're very wearable. It's a cool underpinning to a more basic top, and it's a look that I honestly think anyone can pull off. Great compliment to rad sneakers too.

Ice Bear

Reaction score
Might as well chime in as I am wearing my gray sweatpants. I would describe them as great OG sweat pants. Comfortable and fit well.

One small nit is the drawstring which looks more like a white sneaker lace. I will eventually remove it. So no harm, no foul. For future versions, they would be better on the inside.

Oddly, my sweatpants came without a label. Again, not a big deal.

dougie

Reaction score
oh gosh yeah i forgot to mention that no label thing, which i really love (i own and often use a seam ripper for cayce pollard reasons) but which i also expect is a product of the fairly expedited production i'm guessing these things went through and not necessarily an aesthetic choice.

sweatpants gotta have external drawstrings. they just gotta.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Might as well chime in as I am wearing my gray sweatpants. I would describe them as great OG sweat pants. Comfortable and fit well.

One small nit is the drawstring which looks more like a white sneaker lace. I will eventually remove it. So no harm, no foul. For future versions, they would be better on the inside.

Oddly, my sweatpants came without a label. Again, not a big deal.

oh gosh yeah i forgot to mention that no label thing, which i really love (i own and often use a seam ripper for cayce pollard reasons) but which i also expect is a product of the fairly expedited production i'm guessing these things went through and not necessarily an aesthetic choice.

sweatpants gotta have external drawstrings. they just gotta.

Yes, @dougie is entirely right, all of the tees and sweats going out right now have no branding whatsoever on the inside. We just bought care labels from our factory.. and got the larger "Eco Life" labels from the yarn supplier.

My plan is to eventually screen print "Epaulet, Made in South Central Los Angeles" on the inside of each garment, but my two favorite screenprinters were constantly offline with COVID cases, and I didn't want to hold up the dyeing and shipping these pieces. So they're all sent with no branding at all. Things have been a lot more stable with the printer, so I might try to do that with the upcoming run. Either way, there won't be any woven label inside these, just a soft screen print.

Oh and the sweatpants work just fine without the drawstring, so feel free to pull that out if you don't like it. They almost surely don't need it to sit properly at your waist. You can put it back in with this thing... it's actually what they use at the factory

Last edited:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick notes about the Dye Effect Preorder!

1) You can check it out online here, it's going to be available until Sunday

2) I have a bunch of white garments already made and ready to dye. You can choose your garment style, your size, and one of three wash effects.

3) The garments get dyed on Monday, so we'll be able to ship the finished products right at the start of February

4) T-shirts are only $30, and you're going to absolutely love them. We're talking heavyweight organic cotton with a genuine hand-dye process. Made start to finish in LA. About the best deal that there is for this kind of product. Pick one or a few of them up... you won't regret it. Small is sold out, but I've still got about a dozen units each of Med, Large, and XL

5) The sweatpants are amazing. They'll be made and stocked in these three fabrics, but you can save some money by preordering them at $85. That's also a backdoor way to get a discount on the current stock of Cosmic Thunderbird

6) The Rivet Chinos flew out, but I still have one unit in size 32 left. If that's your size, consider getting it! Will most likely be the only chance for such an item.

Wash Leader.jpg

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, I gotcha!

1) Me and Ming spent all of today organizing the second batch of dye runs. I'm taking them to the wash house in the morning and I expect to get it back in the middle of next week. So that's going to be:

* All of the Rivets, Doyles, and Kamigatas in Indigo, Black, Oxblood, Ultraviolet, Steel Moss, Gunmetal, Chestnut, and Mink
* Heavyweight t-shirts in every single one of those colors. We'll have between 8 and 24 units per color.

How about the Racing Green?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How about the Racing Green?

Oh yes my bad... all of the Racing Green too! And we'll have Racing Green t-shirts, which I'm pretty jazzed for.

By the end of next week, we should be 100% shipped out on all Sashiko preorders except for Sinclairs.

I also just received an absolutely massive fabric delivery (over 1000 yards). It's been stuck at the port in Long Beach since 12/30. I'm going to get an assessment at the factory tomorrow, but I think it may be possible to do the long-awaited Sashiko Mac jacket project. I want to keep the timeline realistic, but if we could get samples by the end of the month and go live with it early feb, I could ship by mid-March. Should be possible, as we've got the cloth now and the factory is in a better place with staffing. I'll keep you guys posted.

fruitnuke

Reaction score
@Epaulet I’ve been trying to contact you by email for months, and via styleforum direct message / conversation over the last week, about my unfulfilled Southwick suit order from Feb 2020. I’ve had zero communication or response from you - please can you get back to me as soon as possible.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with the internal drawstring. I have a pair of internal drawstring pants though that do this weird puffy thing where the button is because there is too much fabric, but the drawstring hugs me. Cuuld be too much waist material on those pair though. Could not size down more because of my thighs. Could also be where they placed the holes for the drawstrings.
These are pictures of what I think is a poorly designed or ill-fitting internal drawcord.

This is with the drawstring undone and the waistband flipper forward to show where the drawstrings going into the waistband.

The drawcord sticks to my body, but the buttoning point pops out because it's not as close to my body. I think this is because the drawstring holes are so far apart.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yes my bad... all of the Racing Green too! And we'll have Racing Green t-shirts, which I'm pretty jazzed for.

By the end of next week, we should be 100% shipped out on all Sashiko preorders except for Sinclairs.

I also just received an absolutely massive fabric delivery (over 1000 yards). It's been stuck at the port in Long Beach since 12/30. I'm going to get an assessment at the factory tomorrow, but I think it may be possible to do the long-awaited Sashiko Mac jacket project. I want to keep the timeline realistic, but if we could get samples by the end of the month and go live with it early feb, I could ship by mid-March. Should be possible, as we've got the cloth now and the factory is in a better place with staffing. I'll keep you guys posted.
My bottle green T from way back is still going strong. Loved the fit on that one

gh0sty

Reaction score
@Epaulet I’ve been trying to contact you by email for months, and via styleforum direct message / conversation over the last week, about my unfulfilled Southwick suit order from Feb 2020. I’ve had zero communication or response from you - please can you get back to me as soon as possible.

I'm in the same boat. I'm sure it's busy in the new year and will patiently wait probably not as drastic as your circumstances but hopefully they'll get to us.

tonyboy

Reaction score
Think I might be in the same boat with the sashiko doyle re: sizing (particularly the length), amazing jacket don't get me wrong tho! Wondering out loud if throwing it in the dryer despite it already having been dyed and shrunk may shrink it more?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads