• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
All,

Should I get a mink sashiko doyle or a cosmic thunderbird sashiko doyle? I need feedback.

For context, I already have indigo, pine green, and natural sashiko doyles.

Last edited:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
All,

Should I get a mink sashiko doyle or a cosmic thunderbird sashiko doyle? I need feedback.

For context, I already have indigo, pine green, and natural sashiko doyles.

Oooph tough call.

I think that Mink is a tremendous color. Erik Mannby wears it really well, and it's arguably the most menswear-ish of all the Doyles...

erik-mink.jpg

It's going to pair nicely with jeans and a t-shirt too. So it's very versatile, and personally... Mink is my favorite Sashiko color. It looks great on everyone.

Cosmic Thunderbird is going to be a HUGE look in the Doyle. It's definitely meant to go with sneakers and jeans.. maybe some very casual cotton pants. Dye effects are having a big moment in streetwear right now, so we have a lot of demand for them, but if that's not where the rest of your wardrobe is, then you might find it hard to wear.

Based on what I know from your past orders, I'd strongly recommend Mink. I think you'll love that jacket and you'll get a ton of use out of it. Cosmic Thunderbird is super rad, but I'd suggest it as a sweatpant. It looks ACE with the Mink Doyle, and will jibe nicely with your other colors too.

Damon Pants Squat.jpg

If any of you guys on here have the sweatpants, then I'd love to hear your feedback on it. I've probably received over a dozen emails from people who are really praising them, so the reception has been great.

Hiamosey

Reaction score
@Epaulet

Came across what looks like the Golden Graham fabric at a former SF affiliate. Any chance that could ever be brought back for more Doyles?

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Oooph tough call.

I think that Mink is a tremendous color. Erik Mannby wears it really well, and it's arguably the most menswear-ish of all the Doyles...

View attachment 1539440

It's going to pair nicely with jeans and a t-shirt too. So it's very versatile, and personally... Mink is my favorite Sashiko color. It looks great on everyone.

Cosmic Thunderbird is going to be a HUGE look in the Doyle. It's definitely meant to go with sneakers and jeans.. maybe some very casual cotton pants. Dye effects are having a big moment in streetwear right now, so we have a lot of demand for them, but if that's not where the rest of your wardrobe is, then you might find it hard to wear.

Based on what I know from your past orders, I'd strongly recommend Mink. I think you'll love that jacket and you'll get a ton of use out of it. Cosmic Thunderbird is super rad, but I'd suggest it as a sweatpant. It looks ACE with the Mink Doyle, and will jibe nicely with your other colors too.

View attachment 1539441

If any of you guys on here have the sweatpants, then I'd love to hear your feedback on it. I've probably received over a dozen emails from people who are really praising them, so the reception has been great.

Thanks Eva! The mink brown/purp is VERY temping and I agree that Eric and LIT are killing it there.

I'll throw up this wrinkle -- pretty much my entire wardrobe is denim (lots of Naked and Famous, love their variety) in the winter/spring/fall and Save Khaki light trousers in the summer (as lightweight as you can get and still be wearing cotton pants), usually in a navy, green, or dark khaki shade. Shoes run the gamut: casual dress, boots, moccasins, trainers. Shirts are usually an untucked button-down (which goes great with Doyles of all stripes, I says).

If that impacts your guidance at all, let me know. I love fashion but concluded long ago that I have zero natural instinct for it.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Epaulet

Came across what looks like the Golden Graham fabric at a former SF affiliate. Any chance that could ever be brought back for more Doyles?

Hmmm sorry I don't have any access to that cloth any longer. It was an old Woolrich fabric, so it's possible that they bought it from a jobber or clearance retailer.

Thanks Eva! The mink brown/purp is VERY temping and I agree that Eric and LIT are killing it there.

I'll throw up this wrinkle -- pretty much my entire wardrobe is denim (lots of Naked and Famous, love their variety) in the winter/spring/fall and Save Khaki light trousers in the summer (as lightweight as you can get and still be wearing cotton pants), usually in a navy, green, or dark khaki shade. Shoes run the gamut: casual dress, boots, moccasins, trainers. Shirts are usually an untucked button-down (which goes great with Doyles of all stripes, I says).

If that impacts your guidance at all, let me know. I love fashion but concluded long ago that I have zero natural instinct for it.

Hmmm okay gotcha. So, contrary to the advice that I just gave, the Cosmic Thunderbird might be a better option for a few reasons:

1) Something's attracting you to it. It's about as bold as a print can be and you dig it enough to seriously consider it. That means something, and you're most likely going to really like it in person. It's absolutely beautiful and looks like nothing else out there.

2) Sounds like you already have a lot of great pieces to wear with it. I'm a huge Naked & Famous fan.

3) Mink is destined to become a repeat offering for us. It was hugely popular with this preorder round, and was second only to indigo in sales. I'll absolutely bring it back for Fall.

4) Cosmic Thunderbird will be run next week, and most likely never again. There's so many possible combos for dye effect, that it makes sense to just "retire" certain washes to keep them special and rare. I only have four Doyles still available to dye, so if you don't get the only Cosmic Thunderbird Doyle, then you'll absolutely get one of just 2 or 3. It's a great chance to get something really cool.

L.I.T.

Reaction score
Honestly, I would love to do sneakers again.. and I do think that we were making the best GAT's on Earth during their time.

Given the current styles that we're doing, sneakers actually make a lot more sense with our overall collection.

Let me see how this season goes. I'd love to bring them back in museum calf and some of the nicer leathers that we used. The pandemic has made European production and shipping really difficult, but maybe we'll be in a position to do this later on.

Shot a few pics of our dude @L.I.T. in the Indigo Kamigata and his own camp collar shirt.

The Sashiko Kamigata is absolutely spectacular. It works perfectly as a cardigan and the weight is just ideal for the upcoming Spring. Compared to the OG denims that we used, I think it's a much more versatile piece in this fabric.

View attachment 1537419 View attachment 1537420 View attachment 1537421 View attachment 1537422

With those solid color pants you have in navy, green, and dark khaki either option really works. But the cosmic thunderbird Doyle sounds really fun to wear. I’m for that option unless you prefer a more subtle and refined look like the mink which is also great.

Could definitely see a Mink Doyle, off white tee or button up with some dark khakis.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
RTC SHIPPING & JOE BIDEN'S SUIT

It's been a long road, but we get our first shipment from RTC tomorrow. Looks like about 12 pants are going out. I'm not sure exactly who they're for, but we'll photograph them and send them out just as soon as we get them. From there, we'll get weekly deliveries, and I'm hoping to have all of the backorders filled by end of Feb. Hopefully most by middle of that month. Thanks again for bearing with us everyone!

Also, the RTC president just told me that they produced Joe Biden's suit for the inauguration. It's hidden under the overcoat, but he specifically chose them. Apparently Hickey Freeman has been his favorite brand for decades, and he insisted that his suit be made in Rochester. They're really excited about it! They're expecting to do the majority of his formal wardrobe from here on.

They also made him an overcoat with a velvet collar, but he opted for a plain one. Looks like the new First Lady had the velvet collar angle covered.

biden.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's been a long road, but we get our first shipment from RTC tomorrow. Looks like about 12 pants are going out. I'm not sure exactly who they're for, but we'll photograph them and send them out just as soon as we get them. From there, we'll get weekly deliveries, and I'm hoping to have all of the backorders filled by end of Feb. Hopefully most by middle of that month. Thanks again for bearing with us everyone!

Also, the RTC president just told me that they produced Joe Biden's suit for the inauguration. It's hidden under the overcoat, but he specifically chose them. Apparently Hickey Freeman has been his favorite brand for decades, and he insisted that his suit be made in Rochester. They're really excited about it! They're expecting to do the majority of his formal wardrobe from here on.

They also made him an overcoat with a velvet collar, but he opted for a plain one. Looks like the new First Lady had the velvet collar angle covered.

View attachment 1539495

Eva - when I become president, I'll be sure to work through you to get my RTC suit for the day!

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1539495

Still Made by RTC, but it looks like Joe chose Ralph as designer.

banjozombie

Reaction score
Eva, I received my Mink Doyle size 40 today. It's beautiful, but the sizing is way off. Something's wrong, it's labeled as a 40, but it is significantly, unwearably bigger than my other Doyles and Sinclairs - both of which are 40s and fit me quite well. I am going to send this back. Should I send an email to someone at Epaulet to get a return going?

It's not a proportion issue, the whole garment is way big (like, say, a 44), so it may be that some were mis-tagged. Just wanted to put this here in case it's an issue for others.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eva, I received my Mink Doyle size 40 today. It's beautiful, but the sizing is way off. Something's wrong, it's labeled as a 40, but it is significantly, unwearably bigger than my other Doyles and Sinclairs - both of which are 40s and fit me quite well. I am going to send this back. Should I send an email to someone at Epaulet to get a return going?

It's not a proportion issue, the whole garment is way big (like, say, a 44), so it may be that some were mis-tagged. Just wanted to put this here in case it's an issue for others.
Wasn't mistagged. I had a similar issue with my latest sahsiko doyle. Eva said that some of the sashiko runs were sized smaller and that she recently went back to sizing the jackets to be standard across all fabrics which apparently are quite a bit bigger.

I have 2 size 42 sashiko doyles that I got in 2019 which fit really well. My doyle purchased in 2020 sized 40 fits much bigger than my size 42 jackets from 2019. I'm thinking on a future order I might actually go down to a size 38.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my kamigata undyed in 44. Great piece and I have been wearing it almost every day WFH. The sleeves are a bit long but I assumed it was intentional as the entire jacket is very casual and oversized cardigan like. I just put it through its second wash so I'll check to see if it shrunk a bit as I think the undyed pieces are never washed and may shrink a bit more than the dyed pieces.

Most of my Eapulet shirts I had to donate as they shrunk in the sleeves after a couple washes so I'm actually glad to have apiece that I can keep as the sleeves are finally long enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads