• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Tiedye project is alive!!

I'll check in with more info tomorrow. We only have about 5 Doyles and 9 Kamigatas available in the preorder, so definitely grab one of those if you're bold enough to rock tiedye sashiko.

One of the coolest details is that the buttons take the dye and have a rad mottled look. The inner seam taping of the Rivet Chino does as well!

DSC06405.jpg

apolloali

Reaction score
Would definitely be interested in those. Cotton/linen blends and corduroys would be at the top of my wish list, but something like the camerton cloth would be really great too.

And not to say that I wouldn't buy those as pictured, but just throwing the idea out there. What about an internal drawstring for a slightly cleaner look? I have a pair like that from another maker and I like how the elastic keeps them comfy, but the plain front is a little cleaner when worn w/ sweaters or knits that aren't long enough to cover it up.

I'm into internal drawstring as well, just makes things more flexible. I've tried tons of external drawstring pants and they just too much like PJs for me to wear themoutside the house.

I have these APC pants that have a regular button and zip front in the front and elastic in the back and I wear them as work clothes in my creative industry work all the time. I've always wished I had more of those, because the fit was nice and they were versatile enough to hide that they were even more casual than a typical chino.
IMG_9660.JPG

Also, got my Kamigata! Looking into sizing down (wearing a pretty thick chainstitch shirt underneath here), but man is it good. Superversatile for me.
IMG_3590.JPG

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm into internal drawstring as well, just makes things more flexible. I've tried tons of external drawstring pants and they just too much like PJs for me to wear themoutside the house.

I have these APC pants that have a regular button and zip front in the front and elastic in the back and I wear them as work clothes in my creative industry work all the time. I've always wished I had more of those, because the fit was nice and they were versatile enough to hide that they were even more casual than a typical chino. View attachment 1538994

Also, got my Kamigata! Looking into sizing down (wearing a pretty thick chainstitch shirt underneath here), but man is it good. Superversatile for me.
View attachment 1538996

WHAT IS THIS DOPE VARSITY JACKET?!?! Is that Opening Ceremony?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gustin made a similar pant and the fit was terrible, too skinny for anyone with larger thighs to be comfortable. Also theirs had a elastic band at the hem, which I found frustrating as someone with a shorter inseam.
Which Gustin pants are you referring to? I follow their product line pretty closely.

The closest product they had was the twill joggers and I don't think they should be compared to these pants as they're different types. I didn't have issues with sizing on them and usually wear a 29" or less inseam on my pants.

apolloali

Reaction score
WHAT IS THIS DOPE VARSITY JACKET?!?! Is that Opening Ceremony?

yep! found it from a friend and got it on megaaaaaa sale. it's so well made. the back is even more insane

edit: more details are good here i think — i think for the olympics, they did varsity jackets for all the nations of current and former OC employees, many of whom are immigrants. mine is pakistan. it's really worth googling them — the afghanistan one is amazing, so is the egypt one. puerto rico, barbados. just soooo many good designs.

Last edited:

Racing Green

Reaction score
Sample Pant Feedback

Hey guys, it's been a while since we've released a new shape, but I've got something in the works....

View attachment 1538621

I don't have a name for this yet, but I'd like to release this casual drawstring chino in the next 8 weeks or so. Here's the main points:

1) The overall concept is a relaxed woven chino with an elastic drawstring waist.

2) The fit is based on the Wilhelm. It's going to be perfectly relaxed on Rivet guys, but also work for Wilhelm customers. The drawstring and elastic setup comes right from our Abbot sweatpants.

3) I really want to hit a strong price point with this. I worked with the factory to cut costs where we can. There's no belt loops. There's no fly or zipper. The back has button-through patch pockets. And the elastic waist band allows us to skip odd sizes and make them in Small through XL, with each size working for a range of waists (size Small would be 30-32 for example). An easier fit means less returns, and therefore more competitive pricing.

4) With these specs, I think that we can be at $95 with basic fabrics (8oz cotton canvas, ripstop, twill, NYCO. oxford cloth), at $110 for higher end fabrics (Japanese chambray, fun prints, cav twill, corduroy) and $145 for Sashiko.

5) It's super easy to do this as a short as well.. and knock maybe $15 off of the retails above.

Let me know what you guys think! Any feedback is appreciated. Here's some more shots too...

View attachment 1538623
View attachment 1538622
Big yes from me, I'm pretty much only wearing drawstring ripstop/nyco/cotton pants these days - Orslow, Battenwear, Stan Ray, Uniqlo etc.

External drawstring is totally fine, not tucking in shirts these days either!

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Taylor Stitch drawstring seereucker pants and they are great. They are external drawstring

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have these APC pants that have a regular button and zip front in the front and elastic in the back and I wear them as work clothes in my creative industry work all the time. I've always wished I had more of those, because the fit was nice and they were versatile enough to hide that they were even more casual than a typical chino. View attachment 1538994

Given the choice, this is my preference for pants with elastic. I imagine including a zip fly with a button would probably add a bit to the manufacturing cost compared to just a closed fly, but it definitely makes them feel much more like actual pants. I've got a few pair of Camoshita Easy Pants that have a traditional fly plus elastic around the edges. Before I lost a ton of weight, I wore them ALL. THE. TIME. So comfortable and so versatile. Plus, I didn't feel odd wearing them with a dress shirt and navy blazer.

And I agree with Eva that that is a kick ass varsity jacket.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
Which Gustin pants are you referring to? I follow their product line pretty closely.

The closest product they had was the twill joggers and I don't think they should be compared to these pants as they're different types. I didn't have issues with sizing on them and usually wear a 29" or less inseam on my pants.
Yeah I was referring to those joggers. I guess they seem similar to me. They are chino pant material with a elastic waist band. For me the fit was terrible. The extra length looked like a mess of material collecting at my ankles. I could have hemmed them but the thighs were so tight I opted to sell them instead.

Duke Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the choice, this is my preference for pants with elastic. I imagine including a zip fly with a button would probably add a bit to the manufacturing cost compared to just a closed fly, but it definitely makes them feel much more like actual pants. I've got a few pair of Camoshita Easy Pants that have a traditional fly plus elastic around the edges. Before I lost a ton of weight, I wore them ALL. THE. TIME. So comfortable and so versatile. Plus, I didn't feel odd wearing them with a dress shirt and navy blazer.

Yeah, the traditional fly plus elastic is pretty ideal, but I was assuming that was out of the question due to manufacturing costs. In lieu of that, though, I feel like an internal drawstring makes them something you could still wear out to dinner or a bar whereas an external drawstring maybe makes them more just for running errands and such. I fully recognize that I'm probably old enough that my impressions of these things might be out of date, but I do think there's a difference between something that reads just as a more comfy chino vs something that might read as a more refined sweatpant alternative.

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was referring to those joggers. I guess they seem similar to me. They are chino pant material with a elastic waist band. For me the fit was terrible. The extra length looked like a mess of material collecting at my ankles. I could have hemmed them but the thighs were so tight I opted to sell them instead.
Yeah, I wouldn't compare these two pants. As Duke Silver said "I do think there's a difference between something that reads just as a more comfy chino vs something that might read as a more refined sweatpant alternative."

I don't think that a jogger in a more refined material would be the same as what you would wear these for. The elastic hem makes that much of a difference to me.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Big yes from me, I'm pretty much only wearing drawstring ripstop/nyco/cotton pants these days - Orslow, Battenwear, Stan Ray, Uniqlo etc.

External drawstring is totally fine, not tucking in shirts these days either!

Yeah, the traditional fly plus elastic is pretty ideal, but I was assuming that was out of the question due to manufacturing costs. In lieu of that, though, I feel like an internal drawstring makes them something you could still wear out to dinner or a bar whereas an external drawstring maybe makes them more just for running errands and such. I fully recognize that I'm probably old enough that my impressions of these things might be out of date, but I do think there's a difference between something that reads just as a more comfy chino vs something that might read as a more refined sweatpant alternative.

Thank you so much for all of the feedback guys!

1) I'm definitely sold on internal waistband. I really appreciate that suggestion... it wasn't in the original spec at all, but I think it's a great idea.

2) We'll use the same multi-elastic waist as the sweatpant. It's pretty strong without the drawstring, so you can remove it if you like. You can re-install it later on with a $5 tool from Amazon too.

3) I think for price and aesthetics, it's probably best to lose the functional fly. You're talking about a $10 difference at retail. And that way, it's completely distinct from the Rivet Chino. I think this pant in Sashiko for $145 would be the burner. With our usual 15% discount, we'd be under $125 at launch.

And the easy sizing means it's great for preorders in all sorts of materials. The fit is going to work great even if you're new to the shape.

4) If the waistband is covered, then there won't be much difference between this design and a regular chino pant. The leg construction is exactly the same as the Rivet.. there's no elastic cuff or anything at the bottom. So as long as you wear your shirt untucked, this is super easy to dress up.

I'm kind of envisioning this pant in a sky blue chambray, paired with an ecru t-shirt, grey linen sportcoat, and some white deck shoes. It's an excellent piece for the Summertime in casual fabrics like that.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of envisioning this pant in a sky blue chambray, paired with an ecru t-shirt, grey linen sportcoat, and some white deck shoes. It's an excellent piece for the Summertime in casual fabrics like that.
Tonal seersucker in navy or green (or brown or rust, if you can find it). I have a similar J Crew pant in typical blue/white and it's great but the trad vibe of seersucker throws many people off.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Tonal seersucker in navy or green (or brown or rust, if you can find it). I have a similar J Crew pant in typical blue/white and it's great but the trad vibe of seersucker throws many people off.

That's a great idea!!

You know what could be very possible is getting white/grey seersucker and then overdyeing it. As long as the dye tone isn't too strong (light blue, tobacco, rust, light olive) you'd still see the stripes in the fabric. I'm going to order some today and test it out.

My t-shirt collection has made dye projects like this a lot more viable. It's an expensive fixed charge to set up a color. It would have made something like Ultraviolet Sashiko prohibitively expensive.. as I only sold about 5 sashiko garments in that color at the end of the day.

But now.. I'm going to throw 12 or 16 t-shirts in to every single color batch, and the fixed charge is now spread across a larger quantity and it makes sense. So we can offer some more adventurous colors.

Which... to that end... the Extra Heavyweight tee is IMO the best t-shirt that we've done. I absolutely love how this fits and feels. I'm going to run it in most of our upcoming colors, so you can expect things like Ultraviolet, Oxblood, & Chestnut t-shirts to come out soon. And of course basics like Indigo, Black, Gunmetal, etc....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads