• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came for Doyle fit pics, what I got was all the feels.

Eva, Zamb, Texasmade, Michigan Planner, Sartorium, Patrick, thank you all for sharing.

edited because I can’t type.

Last edited:

ljl

Reaction score
So glad I found this place. It is full of awesome people. Thank you Eva and all.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you, Eva. This year has been rough. Today is a particularly difficult one for me personally and I was hopping on SF to read whatever nonsense was posted and instead saw this and it was really what I needed.

I have had some real professional struggles this year. Despite doing my best, I’m failing on a bunch of tasks. I recognize from afar you’ve struggled similarly. The complaints in this thread always hit close to home for me because I struggle to keep up and am often constrained by the production of people I don’t “control.” It’s reassuring because I know you are a good person and doing your best and it’s easy to separate your struggle to keep up from your value as a person to me and to many others. It’s harder to do that personally when I’m being criticized. It’s particularly inspiring when you can stand up and offer help to others as you did today when I know that there are plenty of days that you need our help as much as we need yours.

Thanks Patrick, you've always been a great friend. I hear you... this has also been the most challenging professional year of my life too. It's hard for me to stay motivated when I feel like I'm failing in my job and factors outside of my control are falling apart. I try to look at things as a whole though. I've definitely been late on many delivery dates and I've dropped the ball on lots of responses and issues that I should have addressed better. But given the overall atmosphere of dread that's hung over 2020 and the loss of so many important in-person connections, I guess that things are going pretty well.

I really do love this thread and it's been a place that I've visited several times a day for over a decade. I'm sorry that I've been checked out at times. I'm going to work on being more consistently engaged, because it is really helpful and fulfilling to be on here. The satisfaction of this job is making beautiful items that my customers really enjoy and treasure. And this space has always been the best forum for that. You'll see a lot more of me here from now on!

Came for Doyle fit pics, what I got was all the feels.

Eva, Zamb, Texasmade, Michigan Planner, Sartorium, Patrick, thank you all for sharing.

edited because I can’t type.

Thank you Preston!

I agree with Preston. And also the Doyle pics.

Spoken like a true gentleman :bigstar:

So glad I found this place. It is full of awesome people. Thank you Eva and all.

Thank you for being here!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
HERTLING PANTS

In the world of good product news, we're getting all of our Hertling promo pants this week. We shipped almost all of the Rudy trousers yesterday. Looking to do the Walts tomorrow and the Taylors on Friday. Here's some pics of the Rudys that were shipped....

Brown Pants.jpg
Yellow Pants.jpg
Green Pants.jpg
Orange Pants.jpg
Check Pants.jpg
BW Pants.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post, thank you so much for sharing @Michigan Planner

Yeah, my daughter is touch and go with things. She's allowed to say that she "hates" the coronavirus, and has outbursts about it a few times a week. She's in a daycare which is sort of like school, but definitely resents the mask and distancing requirements.

We're lucky to be on a block with a bunch of other children her age. All of the parents decided to just let the kids play like normal a few months back, and it's been life-changing for them. We adults keep our interactions masked and outdoors, but the kids really need that normal-ish playtime. She's definitely stabilized a lot with that. We're supposed to begin hybrid schooling in two weeks, but with the COVID trends in California, who knows if that's actually going to happen.

Huge congrats on the 40lb weight loss!! Having made your custom clothing for the better part of 8 years, I recognize what a huge transformation that is. It's a great step for your health too. I dearly miss socializing at restaurants and night spots, but it's actually helped me quite a bit from a health perspective. Barely drinking alcohol and making all my meals at home makes it a lot easier to stay in shape. It's the polar opposite of my 2 to 3x a week Peter Luger meals with Julie Hertling a few years back.

When we moved into our neighborhood about 12 years ago we were by far the youngest couple on our block and there were no very little kids around. Three of our immediate neighbors were the original owners of their houses, all built in the '50s! When our oldest was born 10 years ago there were no little kids nearby. There has been a bit more turnover since then so now there are some kids her age, but none really close by (it's physically a big neighborhood) so none of her friends are in close proximity to us. Our 4-year-old however has a best friend who is 8 months older right next door and there is another little girl who's about 6 months younger across the street, so they get to play outside together whenever they see each other. This makes our oldest pretty jealous, because what 10-year-old wants to play along with a bunch of 4 and 5-year-olds (but I can tell she always secretly enjoys herself when she does join in).

Slowly bringing this back to awesome Epaulet clothing... While I have increased my running, I credit a lot more of my weight loss to no longer stopping at Starbucks every morning (and most afternoons too) for drinks filled with sugar and fat. I now walk to the Starbucks by my house once a week or so. And I'm with you on the difference cooking all my meals at home has made on my waistline! We weren't big on going out to dinner, but I'd go out for lunch nearly 5 days a week, just to get out of my office for a bit. I'd usually eat way too much and have a beer or two (then finish up with a Frappuccino or a milkshake from the ice cream place before heading back to the office). While it may have tasted good, it was horrible for my diet! These days, other than our new tradition of Saturday family movie night with takeout, all of my meals are from home. The portion control is better, the ingredients are more fresh, and I can make sure I'm not loading up with salty or sugary sauces and sides like from a restaurant.

This year I've sent off a boatload of clothing to @SpooPoker, including tons of trousers that are so big now that no amount of tailoring will make them wearable, including recently some Epaulet x Hertling tweederoy cords that were sizes 36 and 37 (and I had probably had let out to within an inch of their lives over the past couple of years). This is the one day every two weeks I physically go into the office and today I'm wearing another pair of Epaulet x Hertling tweederoy cords that I bought from Spoo last week… this time in a size 33!

BF8D64BB-E824-485B-9521-378D147D1D34.jpeg

(Pardon the glare, this time of year, there's no escaping it on this side of our office building no matter the time of day... and close observers will see that this was one of those rare mornings I stopped at Starbucks)
1252D770-9E19-4630-B408-86CDE3DEEAFC.jpeg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When we moved into our neighborhood about 12 years ago we were by far the youngest couple on our block and there were no very little kids around. Three of our immediate neighbors were the original owners of their houses, all built in the '50s! When our oldest was born 10 years ago there were no little kids nearby. There has been a bit more turnover since then so now there are some kids her age, but none really close by (it's physically a big neighborhood) so none of her friends are in close proximity to us. Our 4-year-old however has a best friend who is 8 months older right next door and there is another little girl who's about 6 months younger across the street, so they get to play outside together whenever they see each other. This makes our oldest pretty jealous, because what 10-year-old wants to play along with a bunch of 4 and 5-year-olds (but I can tell she always secretly enjoys herself when she does join in).

Slowly bringing this back to awesome Epaulet clothing... While I have increased my running, I credit a lot more of my weight loss to no longer stopping at Starbucks every morning (and most afternoons too) for drinks filled with sugar and fat. I now walk to the Starbucks by my house once a week or so. And I'm with you on the difference cooking all my meals at home has made on my waistline! We weren't big on going out to dinner, but I'd go out for lunch nearly 5 days a week, just to get out of my office for a bit. I'd usually eat way too much and have a beer or two (then finish up with a Frappuccino or a milkshake from the ice cream place before heading back to the office). While it may have tasted good, it was horrible for my diet! These days, other than our new tradition of Saturday family movie night with takeout, all of my meals are from home. The portion control is better, the ingredients are more fresh, and I can make sure I'm not loading up with salty or sugary sauces and sides like from a restaurant.

This year I've sent off a boatload of clothing to @SpooPoker, including tons of trousers that are so big now that no amount of tailoring will make them wearable, including recently some Epaulet x Hertling tweederoy cords that were sizes 36 and 37 (and I had probably had let out to within an inch of their lives over the past couple of years). This is the one day every two weeks I physically go into the office and today I'm wearing another pair of Epaulet x Hertling tweederoy cords that I bought from Spoo last week… this time in a size 33!

View attachment 1508695

(Pardon the glare, this time of year, there's no escaping it on this side of our office building no matter the time of day... and close observers will see that this was one of those rare mornings I stopped at Starbucks)
View attachment 1508696
Good pairing with those tankers!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Boatload is an understatement lol, thank you on both sides of the coin! And in similar news, I gained some weight and cleaned out my closet of about 25 Epaulet trousers in size 33 that you will be seeing in the next few weeks!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good pairing with those tankers!

Yeah, I love these boots. Alden 6-eyelet NST chukkas!

Also pictured in that photo is my purple donegal Epaulet x William Lockie sweater from 5 or 6 years ago now (?).

I love this sweater but hadn't worn it much the past couple of years since it was getting a little tight in the midsection. Definitely not a problem anymore!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

View attachment 1508695

View attachment 1508696

The trousers and boots combo can't be beat! Congrats again on the weight loss, it's really amazing.

Boatload is an understatement lol, thank you on both sides of the coin! And in similar news, I gained some weight and cleaned out my closet of about 25 Epaulet trousers in size 33 that you will be seeing in the next few weeks!

Hoooooo dayummmm those are going to be some good pants!

Yeah, I love these boots. Alden 6-eyelet NST chukkas!

Also pictured in that photo is my purple donegal Epaulet x William Lockie sweater from 5 or 6 years ago now (?).

I love this sweater but hadn't worn it much the past couple of years since it was getting a little tight in the midsection. Definitely not a problem anymore!

Oh man, that purple Lockie wool was so phenomenal. Really glad to hear that it fits again

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Aero Highwayman in Horween Oxblood Chromexcel

It took a minute, but this beauty just arrived! I have five new unfinished jackets that also landed... if you have an order in with us, then we'll reach out today for the balance payment.

At this point, Aero has worked through most of their backlog and the COVID situation in Scotland seems to be controlled enough that they're not concerned about a factory shutdown. So be on the lookout for a new promo next week... that way we can get delivery right at the end of Winter.

Aero Oxblood Chromexcel1.jpg
Aero Oxblood Chromexcel2.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I woke up listening to this song this morning:

It's an amazing track, but the video is a little bonkers. Maybe the idea of Kool G Rap on a treadmill and Nas in a sauna sounded good on paper, but I'm not sure it translated so well onto actual film.

But anyway, it has the line... "Two players rocking silk blazers and diamonds like glaciers" and all is forgiven.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry guys, these parkas are all on the cutting table, but our contractor for flat felled seams is just impossible right now. They've had rolling shutdowns, and I just can't get them to take these parkas and finish them, at least at the moment. Luckily they're the only garments with this situation, and I do have other specials and customs coming through.

We only sold three parkas, so I'll be in touch with each of you personally. I'll offer a refund or you can take a credit with extra value in it. I don't see these getting finished before the end of January.

Hi @Epaulet - just checking in on this. Haven't heard from you and I've emailed a couple times without a response.

thanks!
-Travis

apolloali

Reaction score
Seconding a lot of what was said here —

I learned of the suicide of a college friend in the past year and while I know there was not much I could do, I couldn't help but wonder what could be different or wishing that I had stayed more in touch.

Please take care of yourself and check in on your mental health. This was a challenging year for so many of us, myself included, and it can be hard to know when to get help.

For me, the attraction towards this community has always been that I know I'm interacting with real people operating at a smaller scale than I may typically be used to. One of my lessons from the pandemic has been that, living in America at least, it's nearly impossible to separate your sense of self-worth from your productivity. And for many of us, the drop in productivity during a pandemic is going to take a hit on our mental health. I appreciate Eva sharing the struggles of running a business during a time of tremendous upheaval with the community she built. I also appreciate the customers posting struggles with their orders, perhaps in their own moments of stress.

One core component that is lacking in so many modern communities is the establishment of the communal trust that we will do right by each other. And in my view, Eva has seemingly always done right by the community she has led and I deeply value that consistency over a decade. In any view, a community of folks who patronize a small-batch men's tailoring have to be privileged — I hope everyone is able to find peace, solace, and community in this time, but also that we take whatever strength and stability we have and use that to support native, queer, poor, and communities of color that have been disproportionately impacted by this pandemic. Especially your local organizations that may not get as much shine.

Anyhow: clothes! Dang @Michigan Planner if i knew you were having a EP 36/37 pants fire sale, I would've picked some up when I was quarantined on the East side.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like your reflections on the nature of community trust, @apolloali

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads