• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is something wrong at Epaulet? Feeling defrauded. :mad:

Like others, I can't get responses to any emails either...they are stonewalling.

Just received a size 42 Doyle that measures as a 44 and can't get an email response for a Return Authorization within my 14 day return period. This Doyle order was part of one of the semi-recent group orders that has not been filled to the larger group, but they offered me a 42 they had in stock, which I agreed to. So my suspicion is that I received another customer's return that they knew wasn't made right.

Furthermore, I have a separate July order of a Sinclair that was supposed to be delivered in early September that they absolutely refuse to return any of my inquires about. The online order status just says "order received." I've read @Epaulet's posts in this thread about generalized delays, but I really don't know if this applies to my batch specifically and feel that more communication is in order. Also, I shouldn't have to pore through Styleforum threads to get info on this.

Glad to see the owners took a great vacation on the funds from our unfilled orders ...I'm seriously considering going to my CC company for charge backs.
It seems like there's an issue with the sizing of their recent batches of jackets. I ordered a 42 sashiko doyle back when COVID first started and it was several inches larger than my other sashiko 42 doyle jackets that I already have. I exchanged it for a size 40 which was slightly bigger than my 42 doyles but was still wearable. I've seen a few other posters say something about the sizing being bigger than expected.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
^^ Appreciate the insight, but it just makes me more upset that they are knowingly passing off sh!t that is made wrong.

To elaborate on my situation a bit, this recent 42 Sashiko Doyle I bought is actually to replace one I bought over a year ago that I always thought was a bit too short in the sleeves and body. You see, I read here on the StyFo thread that Epaulet acknowledged the older ones were made shorter than spec and they fixed the error, so I bit the bullet for a new one assuming it would be to spec and fit perfect (like the Tweed 42 Doyle that I also own). So as of now, I've paid for a Navy Sashiko Doyle twice, and do not have one that fits.

At this point, I just want a Return Authorization and my F'n money back. Or I'll send the garbage potato sack back without authorization and take it up with my CC.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You see, I read here on the StyFo thread that Epaulet acknowledged the older ones were made shorter than spec and they fixed the error,

This probably explains quite a bit. I never knew they intentionally made the newer ones larger than the older ones.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
This probably explains quite a bit. I never knew they intentionally made the newer ones larger than the older ones.
Possibly...they were supposedly just extending the sleeve and body length. But yeah, once you get involved with changing the pattern with the factory, stuff can probably go sideways. Don't try to put that on the customer tho. A jacket a size too big is as good as worthless to most of us here.

EDIT: found Epaulets comment regarding the pattern change (from Sept 14):
Our older sashiko garments ran shorter, but I changed the pattern for our last Spring round (indigo, jet black, gunmetal) and extended the sleeve and body length to get it more consistent. The online measurements are accurate overall.

So maybe they've somehow gone and completely messed up their Sashiko patterns.

Last edited:

daev

Reaction score
I don't think there's any funny business going on. I just think Eva needs to hire some admin help to focus on the more mundane details of "where's my order," so she can get back to dealing with vendors who fold up in a pandemic and developing new business. It's pretty cool to get answers direct from the owner, but we all have our limits. As someone who's been customer since the early days of this thread, I'm not super concerned, but it is easier to get help from federal student loan servicers at times lol......

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly...they were supposedly just extending the sleeve and body length. But yeah, once you get involved with changing the pattern with the factory, stuff can probably go sideways. Don't try to put that on the customer tho. A jacket a size too big is as good as worthless to most of us here.

Our older sashiko garments ran shorter, but I changed the pattern for our last Spring round (indigo, jet black, gunmetal) and extended the sleeve and body length to get it more consistent. The online measurements are accurate overall.

At least now I know I need to size down to a 40 for future orders. The 42 felt like I was drowning in excess fabric.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is something wrong at Epaulet? Feeling defrauded. :mad:

Like others, I can't get responses to any emails either...they are stonewalling.

Just received a size 42 Sashiko Doyle that measures as a 44 and can't get an email response for a Return Authorization within my 14 day return period. This Doyle order was part of one of the semi-recent group orders that has not been filled to the larger group, but they offered me a 42 they found in stock, which I agreed to. So my suspicion is that I received another customer's return that they knew wasn't made right.

Furthermore, I have a separate July order of a Sinclair that was supposed to be delivered in early September that they absolutely refuse to return any of my inquires about. The online order status just says "order received." I've read @Epaulet's posts in this thread about generalized delays, but I really don't know if this applies to my batch specifically and feel that more communication is in order. Also, I shouldn't have to pore through Styleforum threads to get info on this.

Glad to see the owners took a great vacation on the funds from our unfilled orders ...I'm seriously considering going to my CC company for charge backs.

Eva should, can, and I'm confident will come in and answer for herself at some point. I wanted to share my experiences.

I recently had an Individualized shirt delivered that I ordered in I think November of 2019. It was held for delivery until other orders arrived, then lost in the shuffle, then COVID happened. It had to be remade after the factory re-opened. But I got my shirt, and the first day I put it on like four people complimented me on it. I'm happy with the product I received even if the wait was, well, too long.

Eva used to have a partner that would handle most of the logistics, leaving Eva to handle the stuff she is good at, which is, in my opinion, design and sales. That was a long partnership. It broke off, leaving Eva with a lot more on her plate, including some skills that have been atrophying for ten years. Mix in a physical move and a once-in-a-lifetime (fingers crossed) pandemic that has thrown everything in the supply chain into chaos, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I think Eva could and should do a better job of communicating with customers. I also think fraud/stonewalling are strong words that imply an intent to deceive. I think it's a frustrating shopping experience and I understand if people are hesitant to order product because of the logistics issues. But I really like the product I receive, and I've never had an order not made whole eventually, and I've never heard of anyone else having an order not made whole.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW I ordered my first Doyle (an in-stock navy sashiko with the brown buttons) a month ago and its the correct and exact 23.5" chest which is what is listed on the website for size 44. Its possible that the jacket you received was a return that maybe lost connection to its return reason, and it was deemed ok to sell again without noticing that it was returned for too big.

Fraud is a pretty strong work and it seems more like the epaulet business model of lots of periodic semi-custom fabric orders/makeups has not handled the COVID chaos as well as we would hope.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Ok, so now @Texasmade has found that he needs to size down on Sashiko Doyles to get something resembling the online specs for his actual size, but @ryebreadiest just got one exactly to spec.

Oh, and should anything go wrong with an @Epaulet order, we've established that customer support is non-existent because of reasons we all need to have sympathy for.

So reassuring for future orders!

Last edited:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey @alkydrinker ... thank you for posting everything, and I'm sorry for the frustration. Believe me, it's not my intention to piss off any customers or make them feel cheated or defrauded.

1) It's sometimes difficult to match SF usernames to real names without order numbers, but 99% sure that I know who you are and you've got an email already in your inbox.

2) After the Sashiko preorders came in, I took a look through our inventory and offered about a dozen customers their orders from stock if I had the garments on the shelf. This was only meant to get you order merchandise faster rather than making you wait. Since you ordered a size 42 Indigo Doyle and one was on our stock shelf, I shipped it out.

3) Mis-tagging is rare, but lets face it... I'm making clothes and errors can and do happen. From what you wrote, I do believe that your jacket is a size 44, and of course I'll take that back and get you a properly sized item with the incoming inventory.

4) Historically, our Sashiko pieces were shorter and smaller than they should be. This past Spring (May 2020 delivery), I revised the patterns to be in line with the posted measurements and the non-Sashiko pieces. So while the new production is a bit longer and a bit larger than previous Sashiko pieces... it's pretty much in line with both the posted measurements and all of our other Doyles and Sinclairs in canvas, tweed, flannel, moleskin, etc.

5) The Sashiko items are made about 1.67x their intended final size. They're a bit more than a full size too large. Once they're dyed or industrial hot-washed (for natural), they shrink radically. This process inherently involves some variation, so the final garments are close to their stated measurements but may vary a bit. That's just how it is with garment washing. But.. it shouldn't vary as much as for the piece that you received, so I do think that this one jacket is a mis-tagged 44. And we'll of course make it right.

6) I'm the first to admit that our communication needs to get better. I don't want to give a bunch of excuses, but this has been the most challenging year of my professional life. Factories and supply chains are difficult. Southwick closed. Hertling is shipping me pants that were ordered and paid for at the end of February. Special orders are slower and less predictable than ever. I lost three staff members, and it's hard AF to replace anyone now. I've taken lots of cancelations, and quite a few chargebacks. At the moment, I'm honestly just trying to make the best out of a challenging situation and get everything made as quickly and efficiently as I can. Lots of factors are just out of my direct control though.

7) That said, things are happening. Lots of merchandise is getting made, and I'm shipping out 10 to 20 boxes a day. Custom shirts are coming through, Aero jackets just landed, Rivet Chinos and new Chainstitch shirts are finishing in the next week, and FINALLY we're getting nearly 70 pairs of long-awaited Hertling pants. So please just bear with me a little bit, and we'll get everything sorted. They'll be no man left behind!

8) Oh and your size 42 Sashiko Doyle is going to fit great and kick ass. So will that Sinclair! Thanks as always for all of your support!

thegenius

Reaction score
Hey Eva,

Just sent you an email regarding an address change. So much time has passed I managed to save a down payment :p and purchase a home.

All jokes aside, I've given you an interim address to send things to as they get made. Would rather not see all that time spent waiting go to waste by having the owners of my apartment building lose a package.

Might send one more email depending on how it takes for my new residence when I move in November presuming it all goes well and it hasn't burned down before than.

Cheers.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
And speaking of Hertling... they sent some pics of our trousers in work. We expect a shipment with nearly all of the old backorders to go out very soon....

IMG_9253.JPG
IMG_9252.JPG
IMG_9251.JPG

daev

Reaction score
Not to be spammy, but I just wanted to make sure my post at the bottom of the previous page didn't get lost in the discussion.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
I posted recently about a natural sashiko doyle that was too large. Per Eva's recommendation, I hot washed it and it shrunk down to the same size as my existing pieces. I don't know if that's because there it was never shrunk initially, or if there was more shrank left in there, but it worked out for me.

Just one anecdotal experience!

Hiamosey

Reaction score
It sounds like I should have picked up my normal Doyle size rather than sizing up for the Sashiko like in the past?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads