• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pekingman

Reaction score
@Epaulet - Hi Eva - I've had a pearl gray jacket on my wish list for a while so was excited to see the "quickstrike" options, but am still a little on the fence about ordering the grey/camel bonded wool as a Sinclair. Is it going to work as a "jacket" in this 14oz weight, or would this cloth be better as Doyle?

If anyone has some experience with how well the Sinclair lapel in wool holds up after pressing feel free to let me know :)

tonyboy

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry if this belongs elsewhere, but does the sashiko rivot chinos shrink with a hot wash? It's getting a bit loose!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Oh my god the steel moss. Now it’s a question of whether I get a two piece suit or a three piece suit.

Eva, question: I did a natural sashiko in the original round. I like the style, but it’s very very large — more of a 44 or even 46 than the 42 I take in Epaulet. I’m happy to send measurements and/or a photo. It’s unworn — can I exchange it for a true 42 in natural in this round?

I’m happy to send it back with the jungle poplin I owe you. I’ll have that ready to go on Monday, finally! Sorry for the delay there.

So glad that you dig the Steel Moss.. it's an awesome color!

Regarding the Natural... that definitely sounds weird. We can absolutely do that exchange, but since it's in your hands already, try "nuking" it with your home washing machine. Wash it in the hottest water, dry it on the hottest setting.

We use an industrial hot wash to shrink that natural garments, but there were about a dozen or so unwashed pieces in that initial batch that I intended to run dyed samples with. I had two temp helpers during that time as my two employees were out on leave, so it's possible that you were shipped one of the jackets that wasn't pre-shrunk. If its still huge after the nuking, then LMK and we'll definitely get that switched out.

Hi Epaulet. Can you please respond to one of the emails I sent on June 17, July 1st, and July 20, or one of the Facebook messages I sent on July 20 and September 6th? Not sure how to get your attention.

Oh yes, writing you now... thank you for the heads up

Is the sashiko doyle smaller compared to the duck canvas for same size? I'm looking at size 38 but I remember the duck canvas was longer than 28in for 38. @Epaulet

It's pretty similar. Our older sashiko garments ran shorter, but I changed the pattern for our last Spring round (indigo, jet black, gunmetal) and extended the sleeve and body length to get it more consistent. The online measurements are accurate overall.

Snagged an indigo Doyle in 44, been thinking about one for a while and hearing they new ones won’t have the brown buttons made me pull the trigger!

Thank you so much!

For the sashiko preorder, what would you quote for a 1" sleeve length reduction? Wasn't sure if this would be the same price as the jacket length modification quote above.

Also, there is a sashiko sinclair that you've recently been showcasing on your Instagram from @fashion.the.furious. It looks like a blue-grey color similar to the gunmetal grey, but probably lighter? Hoping this color is available with this drop.

Interested to know this too. In my case I'm looking for 1in reduction in sleeve and 1in increase in length

Hey guys,

Any custom length adjustments for a Sashiko Doyle or Sinclair is going to be the same upcharge. I'll have to figure it out exactly, but it's going to be about $75 over the existing price. That's what the factory will charge to hand-cut and finish an individual piece outside of the larger batch. I'll get you all more info on that!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the one I have is the Gunmetal color - in a lot of the photos it reads as a blue/gray but it's pretty gray most of the time. Here's recent photo of it both edited and in natural light

View attachment 1457217 View attachment 1457218

Yup, you're totally right... there's only one shade of Gunmetal. It's a very true medium grey... there isn't a significant cast of any color in the actual dye.

But it definitely can have a cast in photographs and will quickly look bluecast when in shadows.

But this pic is pretty accurate I'd say:

Gunmetal Text copy.jpg

Oh wow just saw this, can you also post size measurements for the kamigatas too?

Yup! I'll shoot the sample and get up the order item for it tomorrow.

@Epaulet - Hi Eva - I've had a pearl gray jacket on my wish list for a while so was excited to see the "quickstrike" options, but am still a little on the fence about ordering the grey/camel bonded wool as a Sinclair. Is it going to work as a "jacket" in this 14oz weight, or would this cloth be better as Doyle?

If anyone has some experience with how well the Sinclair lapel in wool holds up after pressing feel free to let me know :)

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hmm yeah I'd do that fabric as a Doyle if I had to choose. It's almost an overcoat weight, so the Sinclair might be thicker than you'd want a sportcoat to be. But that's up to your preference, some guys do really like the Sinclair in heavier weights.

If you'd just like a pearl grey wool Sinclair, then I'm positive that I can source a nice Italian wool flannel. Same weight that we would use for trousers. Would that interest you?

Hey guys sorry if this belongs elsewhere, but does the sashiko rivot chinos shrink with a hot wash? It's getting a bit loose!

Yes, that should contract them and make them fit closer. I woudn't say that they'll shrink though. The Sashiko Rivets are kind of like jeans..they expand a bit with wear and then contract after a a wash

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Curious, but what size that Jungle Poplin is and if there is anything wrong with it?
42. One sleeve is an inch short. Probably no big deal but, dangit, I pay for symmetry!

(and to be clear, Eva sent me another 42 so I am a satisfied customer!)

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Eva, any chance of the gorgeous and perfect shadow ink ever seeing the light of day again? I have a parka in that and love it. Would love to do a Doyle or Sinclair in the same.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Eva, can we do the sashiko in easy pants?

Yes.. but with a caveat. You've got to be 100% on your sizing in the Sashiko EZ.

In order to get this delivered in time, I have to stick to existing patterns on file. I can push through some individual items and dye that with the stock items, but I can't develop anything from scratch that hasn't already been made in Sashiko.. if that makes sense.

So I can easily offer:
1) Sinclairs and Doyles with length modifications: $75 upcharge over the stock price
2) Kamigatas (I'll post up pics, measurements, and a link tomorrow): $245 price for any color, $225 in Natural
3) Deans Nuts Field Jackets (these will be made to the same sizing specs as the Sashiko Doyles): $95 over stock Doyle price

EZ Pants are possible but they'll be the exact same sizing as the older run, which ended up being a bit smaller than the current Sashiko Rivets. I'm honestly not even sure that I still have the full measurements for them. Belt would be included, and it would be about $265 per unit.

Eva, any chance of the gorgeous and perfect shadow ink ever seeing the light of day again? I have a parka in that and love it. Would love to do a Doyle or Sinclair in the same.

Not this season, but maybe in the future!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For anyone considering the Natural sashiko.. I came across these pics on IG and thought it was a great pairing for an off-white jacket.

This is from Tintinfellow , who has a really great sense of style and a strong Instagram feed. I did "Quarantine Karaoke" with him a few months back. He sang "Common People," but I kept it real with "This is How We Do It." It's so rare to get a chance to say "You gotta get your groove on, before you go get paid." I have to grab those opportunities whenever they arise.

Haha, okay anyway.. this isn't the natural sashiko jacket, but it's pretty much the same color tone and he's paired it really nicely with the chinos and that striped woven.

IMG_7262.jpg

IMG_7261.jpg

Reaction score
Yes.. but with a caveat. You've got to be 100% on your sizing in the Sashiko EZ.

In order to get this delivered in time, I have to stick to existing patterns on file. I can push through some individual items and dye that with the stock items, but I can't develop anything from scratch that hasn't already been made in Sashiko.. if that makes sense.

So I can easily offer:
1) Sinclairs and Doyles with length modifications: $75 upcharge over the stock price
2) Kamigatas (I'll post up pics, measurements, and a link tomorrow): $245 price for any color, $225 in Natural
3) Deans Nuts Field Jackets (these will be made to the same sizing specs as the Sashiko Doyles): $95 over stock Doyle price

EZ Pants are possible but they'll be the exact same sizing as the older run, which ended up being a bit smaller than the current Sashiko Rivets. I'm honestly not even sure that I still have the full measurements for them. Belt would be included, and it would be about $265 per unit.

Not this season, but maybe in the future!

A sashiko field jacket in steel moss could be pretty nice.

pekingman

Reaction score
Hmm yeah I'd do that fabric as a Doyle if I had to choose. It's almost an overcoat weight, so the Sinclair might be thicker than you'd want a sportcoat to be. But that's up to your preference, some guys do really like the Sinclair in heavier weights.

If you'd just like a pearl grey wool Sinclair, then I'm positive that I can source a nice Italian wool flannel. Same weight that we would use for trousers. Would that interest you?

Thanks Eva - that's super helpful. I am actually looking for something at least mid-weight (only two seasons here in Beijing, mad-hot and mad-cold, and this is for the latter ...) so just knowing that I am not being totally crazy ordering this as a Sinclair is already very useful!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads