• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it has been discussed before but can someone break down for me the difference between the Rivet and Wilhelm. Is it just bigger thighs?

Thanks!

TAFJIR

Reaction score
@Epaulet any plans to do another run of the ghost horsehide trainers? I bought a pair last year and would love to pick up another as I’ve pretty much worn through them already (they’re my go to sneaker).

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it has been discussed before but can someone break down for me the difference between the Rivet and Wilhelm. Is it just bigger thighs?

Thanks!
Others will be able to give a more detailed answer, but the idea is that it is roomier throughout the top block (seat, thighs, etc.) and slightly larger in the calves while still maintaining a neat silhouette. Wilhelms are bigger in the calf and at the ankle but the idea is to retain the same general look of a Rivet, just scaled up for those who love leg day.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Others will be able to give a more detailed answer, but the idea is that it is roomier throughout the top block (seat, thighs, etc.) and slightly larger in the calves while still maintaining a neat silhouette. Wilhelms are bigger in the calf and at the ankle but the idea is to retain the same general look of a Rivet, just scaled up for those who love leg day.

Thanks! I bought some Wilhelms that were on sale but I made the mistake of going with my J-Crew size. I moved the top button and because they have some give, they work for me. My wife loved them but I was thinking of getting the Rivet too. I find that because I have bigger thighs, the looser fit tends to make me look slimmer (according to my wife) as then they are tight in the thighs, it backfires to more of a sausage look.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry no pics, but just wanted to chime on how amazing Sashiko fabric is. (I know, I am what, eight/ten years late to the party?)

I had a couple Doyles in other fabrics, but never had a Sashiko until the recent United Together promotion, when I ordered the navy.

The fabric is so bonkers! So much depth and texture, yet so soft.

It’s going to be a great go to with everything once we get past the summer heat.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I bought some Wilhelms that were on sale but I made the mistake of going with my J-Crew size. I moved the top button and because they have some give, they work for me. My wife loved them but I was thinking of getting the Rivet too. I find that because I have bigger thighs, the looser fit tends to make me look slimmer (according to my wife) as then they are tight in the thighs, it backfires to more of a sausage look.
I think if you have bigger thighs then sticking with the Wilhelm is a good plan. The Rivets are by no means skinny, but you are absolutely right that they can look silly on larger legs. You should also consider the proportion of your legs to the top half of your body.

I tip the scales at a whopping 141 pounds so one would assume that skinny pants were made for me, right? Problem is I have a 33 inch waist. If I wear anything more slim than a Rivet it creates the optical illusion of my being somehow overweight, simply because I have this larger upper body teetering around on these tiny legs. The same thing can happen for muscular guys in Rivets- they look out of sorts and quite "top-heavy" if the leg is too slim.

Next time you see an average guy on the street who is clearly trying to up his dressing game but somehow just looks "off" or awkward, I can almost guarantee it is because his pants are too slim for his body.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Epaulet any plans to do another run of the ghost horsehide trainers? I bought a pair last year and would love to pick up another as I’ve pretty much worn through them already (they’re my go to sneaker).

Ah I wish! Sneakers are sadly on hold indefinitely, especially with everything happening this year. I don't have any restocks planned. Glad that you're enjoying them though!

Woot woot! New Doyle jacket on the way!!!

Packed it myself, it came out so boss! Thanks again!

Sorry no pics, but just wanted to chime on how amazing Sashiko fabric is. (I know, I am what, eight/ten years late to the party?)

I had a couple Doyles in other fabrics, but never had a Sashiko until the recent United Together promotion, when I ordered the navy.

The fabric is so bonkers! So much depth and texture, yet so soft.

It’s going to be a great go to with everything once we get past the summer heat.

So glad to hear that you're pleased with the Doyle! Enjoy it!

Thanks!

I think if you have bigger thighs then sticking with the Wilhelm is a good plan. The Rivets are by no means skinny, but you are absolutely right that they can look silly on larger legs. You should also consider the proportion of your legs to the top half of your body.

I tip the scales at a whopping 141 pounds so one would assume that skinny pants were made for me, right? Problem is I have a 33 inch waist. If I wear anything more slim than a Rivet it creates the optical illusion of my being somehow overweight, simply because I have this larger upper body teetering around on these tiny legs. The same thing can happen for muscular guys in Rivets- they look out of sorts and quite "top-heavy" if the leg is too slim.

Next time you see an average guy on the street who is clearly trying to up his dressing game but somehow just looks "off" or awkward, I can almost guarantee it is because his pants are too slim for his body.

I totally agree with both of you guys on this.. the assessment is spot on! Wilhelm gives a lot more room in the thighs, some more in the seat, a little more in the calves, and some additional rise. And yes, having a properly fit pant will visually slim your legs and put everything in better balance with the upper body.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Crosscut Pique & Brisbane Moss Jackets

Hey guys,

I got a bunch of requests to offer our new fabrics for custom Doyles and Sinclairs... so I built them into our existing online item. All of the other fabrics are available too if you want a jacket in one of them.

DenimLeader_2048x.jpg

MADE TO ORDER DOYLE & SINCLAIR JACKET IN CANVAS, TWILL, AND DENIM

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Gitman Ends for Friends... the "Lost Production," just arrived! My warehouse assistant insisted on presenting them for photos. It's a little bittersweet that these are some of the last pieces to ever be produced at their OG Pennsylvania factory, but I'm glad that they finally came through.

]
Josiedots.jpg
Josie Capri Shirt.jpg
Josie Cheetah Shirt.jpg

Last edited:

jms

Reaction score
Gitman Ends for Friends... the "Lost Production," just arrived! My warehouse assistant insisted on presenting them for photos. It's a little bittersweet that these are some of the last pieces to ever be produced at their OG Pennsylvania factory, but I'm glad that they finally came through.

Haha that face with the cheetah print!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads