• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Good Morning all, doing all Epaulet today in honor of the newly received Triple Weave Chambray Chainstitch Shirt from Eva and the crew at EP. Hope all is well and safe!

Alden x EP Snuff Suede WT Boots - 2020-04-01 - 8.jpg

Cheers,
Mike

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi @Epaulet! Just thought I'd check in on those eternal chestnut cords. How are they looking or is the project all jammed up due to the virus?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Sorry for being MIA... solo childcare took me out of the game for a few days but I'm back! Couple of quick updates before I respond to everything:

1) I'm going to extend the deadline on our Sashiko preorder until next week. We have the crew working on our Spring/Summer Doyles, Sinclairs, and Wilhelms on their home machines, and its going to be a bit before they can focus on anything else. We're getting some great new content around the project, so I'll just keep it going for now.

2) Hertling, Southwick, and Gitman Bros are all reopened but exclusively making medical equipment for the moment. This is great news!! I love that these domestic firms can provide support during this time. And it also means that the factories and workers and showing that they can operate in a safe and clean manner. Once they're ready to pivot back to clothing production, it will be a very fast transition.

3) Individualized shirts is going to produce medical gowns but also run their custom shirt program alongside it. They're set to reopen any day now, just waiting for government approval of their factory sanitary cleaning.

4) Shipping is still happening.. I'm doing it all on my own as Jay and Sarah are working remotely. Im able to get out 20-30 parcels a day, so it's pretty sustainable for right now. If you place an in-stock order on the site, you can feel confident that it's going to ship within 1-3 days. Domestic delivery for USPS and UPS is keeping very steady. International boxes are slow AF, but I guess that's to be expected.

@Epaulet Have you thought about having some of your factory workers make homemade masks? It seems like that's going to be a big part of the slow crawl back to normalcy. We need to keep the proven surgical ones for healthcare officials, but everything I'm reading is pointing to a recommendation for people to have some sort of mask (an article in Washington Post today was even encouraging people to fashion them out of old t-shirts) for when we gradually start going back to work, school, etc.

I don't need my mask to be made of some deadstock Japanese fabric, be made to my exact face measurements or be SF approved in any other way, but I don't have a sewing machine at home and I'd rather by ones for my family from a small business than Target. Seems like something you could have your factory workers do at home pretty easily, I'd think.

This is a great idea for sure. At the moment, all of our East Coast factory partners (SW, Gitman, Individualized, Hertling) are doing exactly this.

My guys in LA are a lot smaller scale (only 9 operators), and they've decided to sew at home rather than go through the approval process to supply medical equipment in California. There's a lot of local factories doing it right now, so I feel that the supply chain for non-medical masks in Cali is being met fairly well. I'm also pretty sure that we'll all be wearing them in public for the foreseeable future. I've been wearing a mask every time I leave the house.

From the mayor of Haverhill, MA -

Southwick to Re-Open, Make Masks and Gowns for the Fight Against COVID-19

A Great Step for our City and our Nation

For the past two weeks, a good deal of my time has been spent in working with Southwick Manufacturing in Haverhill, maker of Brooks Brothers suits. Southwick has furloughed all of its 400 employees since this crisis started. We have been trying to persuade them to retool to make the types of masks and gowns so desperately needed throughout the country for our front line personnel.

We have been working with Southwick’s local office and state officials to enable them to make this transition. We contacted a number of facilities to confirm the desperate need for masks of all type. Our office has worked with State officials to

This afternoon I was thrilled to speak to speak with local officials at Southwick. They are reopening and will retool to make equipment to join the fight against this virus.

Locally that means that workers will be called back to work at Southwick. At the time of this announcement, we do not have the details on how many workers will be called back. Southwick tells me that they will be bringing back as many of the 400 workers as they can. We are hoping for all 400.

But even more significantly, the company starting very quickly will begin to retool to make the masks that are so desperately needed for our health care industry. They will start by making gowns and cloth masks. They are looking for assistance, which we will try to expedite for them, to make the certified masks so desperately needed by the health care industry. We have offered to lend them money from our block grant money , to purchase the machinery to begin manufacturing the certified N 95 masks so desperately needed by the health care industry.

We thank Southwick for their commitment to the fight against the corona virus, and we thank the Baker administration which has worked tirelessly on this .

We would also like to thank Congresswoman Lori Trahan, our legislative delegation, the Mass Technology Council and all the others who have worked so tirelessly to secure Brooks Brothers the resources needed to retool.

[https://www.brooksbrothers.com/mask...-release/masks-press-release,default,pg.html)

Thank you so much for posting this... I'm really proud to be a Southwick partner these days. It's also admirable how much the gov't of Massachusetts is stepping up. I'm intending to go back to the drawing board with them when they're ready to pivot back to clothing production. If we can be a part of their revival then I'd love to do that.

Wearing the Ivory today. Nifty, but dang do I get nervous about sitting in something.. :D

So good, would love to see pics! You're officially our first and only customer for flannel shorts!

Broke up the Doyle and pants, then wore them together. If you are thinking about a casual suit for summer and want to support a good cause, you can’t do much better.
View attachment 1364245 View attachment 1364246

@UrbanComposition thank you so much for the photos and support! I'm going to set up a new thread and publicize all of them!

Good Morning all, doing all Epaulet today in honor of the newly received Triple Weave Chambray Chainstitch Shirt from Eva and the crew at EP. Hope all is well and safe!

View attachment 1364365

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks Mike! It's a great combo right there and hope that you're enjoying the shirt!

It’s even more amazing in person!

So glad that you're pleased with it!

Hi @Epaulet! Just thought I'd check in on those eternal chestnut cords. How are they looking or is the project all jammed up due to the virus?

Right now the dyeing is jammed up.. my dyehouse is offline until 4/19 at least. I'm optimistic that California might relax its rules by that point because the coronavirus burden seems to be pretty manageable at least in this part of the state. There's certainly a drive to let light manufacturing resume with safeguards in place.

That said.. I have all of the Rivet Chinos in hand now. They're a very cool ivory corduroy color. If anyone ordered the chestnut chinos and they'd like to take their units as undyed off-white, I can ship that out immediately. They'd be pretty rad for the Summer.

I’m in for the Navy sashiko Doyle.

Thank you!

Reactions: 1wb

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Spring Summer Chainstitch Shirts: Last Call to Save 15%

Hey guys,

Im really happy to say that this has been one of the strongest sell-throughs that I've ever had on a new shirt delivery. I think that we nailed it with the fabrics on this one, and many of our customers are really going out of of their way to support small business these days. Here's the full lineup of shirts below, and you can save 15% with the code chain15

Chainstitch Shirt in Sendai Chambray: $125 ($106.25 with code)
This is a great "basic" chambray with a year-round weight, a soft hand, a perfect indigo tone, and a really nice tonality to the weave. You can wear it casually or style this easily under a sportcoat. I kept the buttons dark and the stitching tonal to make it versatile and seasonless. It's great to nearly hit a $100 price point on this too. I got this fabric from Nihon Menpu off price, so it's a special offer.
Chain Sendai Main.jpg

Chainstitch Shirt in Cookies and Cream Chambray: $145 ($123.25 with code)
This has been the best-seller and it's no mystery why: this is a very "Epaulet" fabric. The ecru color means that it matches with anything, and the streaks give it a complex, donegal-ish vibe. The cloth is surpisingly soft and comfortable for how freaking tough it is. It's a really boss piece and unlike everything else.
Chain Cookies Cuff.jpg

Chainstitch Shirt in Thomas Mason Ocean Oxford: $135 ($114.75 with code)
I LOVE these solid oxfords. It's from Southwick and dates back to the Thom Browne black fleece days. I used natural corozo cats-eye buttons to give it a lighter vibe. It's about the best-feeling casual oxford fabric that you've ever felt and the kind of thing that NO ONE else would make. Stock is super limited on this. The color is a more vibrant blue tone than the usual light blue oxford.

Chain Ocean Main.jpg

Chainstitch Shirt in Thomas Mason Oxford Lavender: $135 ($114.75 with code)
Same jam as the blue one, but in a really boss pale purple tone. Ace match with jeans!

Chain Purple Main.jpg

Chainstitch Shirt Liberty of London Fantasy Forest: $165 ($140.25 with code)
This thing is just freaking baller. Soft as hell with such a rad, vibrant print. I think we have just two units left. Shan't be any more!

DSC05712square crop.jpg

Chainstitch Shirt Yoshiwa Triple Weave Chambray: $150 ($127.50 with code)
Another preoroder item with one or two units extra stock. It's a strong chambray with a trio of indigo, natural, and black yarns. Really gorgeous dark blue dominant tone with great complexity up close

Yoshiwa Studio Collar.jpg

phidauex

Reaction score
Got in on the Sashiko order in natural. Great looking pieces at a good price, and I appreciate what you are doing to give a little extra to the workers making them. I work in large scale renewables, and we are doing some similar strategies that you are doing with some of your suppliers - load them up with orders so that they have the resources to re-launch manufacturing when it is safe to do so. It will make for some delays and backups, but nothing like a fist-full of signed POs to ensure that a small business can get financing that they need to keep running.

The shirts look great too, but why are they all huge? Small sizes (XS/S/36) sell out fast, or do you just not make many of them?

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And speaking of Hertling... we just received three Gable trousers for customer orders... including that Tobacco Tropical for our very own @FLW ...
Your timing on this is remarkable. You posted the quote as I was picking up the package from my porch. They look even better in real life!

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
Just order the cookies and cream shirt (order #49647) Ordered some ties a few weeks ago (order #49518) that I dont think have shipped yet. Can you ship them together? Thanks.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Your timing on this is remarkable. You posted the quote as I was picking up the package from my porch. They look even better in real life!

Fantastic, glad that they made it to you safely!

Just order the cookies and cream shirt (order #49647) Ordered some ties a few weeks ago (order #49518) that I dont think have shipped yet. Can you ship them together? Thanks.

Oh yes, my bad... we need to sub one of your ties, that's why it was being held. Dropped you an email.. I can get all of that packed and sent today.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Instagram live on Chainstitch Shirts

Hey guys two quick things. First, here's a Youtube video of my Instagram live presentation the other day. I show the Chainstitch shirts and the upcoming Rivet Chinos. It's a solo performance, so please don't be disappointed that I'm not constantly upstaged by a 6yo girl and her cat

Last edited:

L.I.T.

Reaction score
Are the new chain stitch shirts the same in sleeve length as the previous batch?

BTW...My LA bandana factory's personal brand is doing a one for one program for mask. One for you donates one for a health care worker. Three layer mask but not medical grade. In case you need more options for mask. https://www.amalfii.com/collections/face-mask

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Are the new chain stitch shirts the same in sleeve length as the previous batch?

BTW...My LA bandana factory's personal brand is doing a one for one program for mask. One for you donates one for a health care worker. Three layer mask but not medical grade. In case you need more options for mask. https://www.amalfii.com/collections/face-mask

Okay I deleted that link to the other LA factory for masks, as I think that L.I.T. has a better offering...

https://www.amalfii.com/collections/face-mask

Not to mention one of them has a moustache print and is being modeled by a guy in a golf popover, red beanie, short shorts and pink Gucci mules.

I tell you, mens fashion is going to take some strange turns in 2020....

image_e6caf89d-e759-4010-bada-d4c5d3901893.png

I'd be in for a box of 5. Mark me down for one.

Stay tuned, I'm going to pass on that and see if we can cook up our own product with a mixture of sashiko and cotton-synthetic pocketing. Justin from Hertling is going to help us with the basic pattern and construction. We'll see if we can do a mock up sample of it over the weekend.

If this can happen, I'll run it by everyone here as some kind of pooled group purchase. I don't want to make any money from it, so i'll keep it all transparent. I just want to cover my cost of goods. If we can put this out and save some lives or at least minimize some stress then I absolutely want to do it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads