• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sartoria vacua

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
With this upcoming Hertling promotion can we specify changes to the stock fit? Specifically for example, can we specify a size 34 Gable trouser with a 36” measured waist? You have offered this option previously. Thanks!

Yes, that's no problem at all! Put a note into checkout. It's called "waist close." If you want the final waistband to be larger, order a size 34 and write "close at 36" in the checkout comments. No problem and no upcharge for that.

Couple things to consider:

1) stock is pretty limited on these goods, so if there's a specific fabric that captures you heart... particularly the Cav Twill and Tropical S100s, then definitely jump on it sooner than later.

2) It's also a small team over at Hertling, and the earlier orders will be prioritized over the later ones for delivery.

3) Simpler shapes like the Walt & Rudy are going to come through quicker than more complex ones like the Garand and the Greenpoint

thought same. some teba submariner monster.

OMG.. the "T" word returns!

wristandfeet

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

I am usually in between a 38 and 40. For the Doyle and Bomber, should I go down down to 38 or up to 40?

For reference, my chest is closer to 40, but shoulders are closer to 38.

Thanks!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet - I'm slow to comment lately but there was a suggestion of a ripstop Doyle a few days ago and I'd love to see that happen. The ripstop fabric is my favorite that you've offered for the Rivets in the past few years and I'd definitely be down to grab a green ripstop Doyle to go with my Rivets.

Regarding the topic of the field jacket that gets tossed around from time to time, I had the previous field jacket and just thought it was too similar to the Doyle. If you were to ever bring it back, I'd like to see it maintain the flap pockets but either cover up the buttons or remove them completely, give it a bit looser fit, add an internal drawstring (I cannot recall if the previous one had that), and change the placket to something with a rounded bottom similar to what's on the J. Crew Field Mechanic's Jacket. I think the ripstop would be an ideal fabric for a field jacket as would a traditional military style sateen.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here's a breakdown of this killer Hertling Trousers promotion

1) These are the lowest prices we've been able to offer in years. Given their rises in costs (higher rent & staff prices), they'll most likely be the lowest prices that we'll get with them.

2) Historically the Ends promo was a bunch of crazy stuff and big patterns, but this promotion is all killer and no filler. There's twenty-one fabrics and all of them are super versatile and wearable (well, maybe not the two big plaids at the end, but you guys can handle those!)

3) Our promo with Hertling from last Summer went off the rails with lead time. Was supposed to take about two months and ended up taking four months and longer in some cases. That's not going to happen again. Moving factories last year caused a lot of issues and backed everything up. The team is now settled into their new space and ready to pounce on all of these orders. As orders come in to me, I'm putting them on a shared google spreadsheet and the factory is pulling them to start production. All this stuff is leaving in 4-6 weeks, and we'll keep very close tabs on it.

4) They've waived the $25 upcharge for the Gable and Greenpoint, so great time to order those shapes if you like them. Only the Garand has an upcharge. And given the handwork needed, you can assume that Garands will ship and finish at the very end of that window.

So... onto all of the fabrics!

Brisbane Moss Cotton Twill:
a beautiful and machine washable four-season cloth from the UK. Tough, classic, and a perfect match to Hertling's handmade construction. Most crucial colors for me are British Khaki (perfect vintage tone) and Olive (great, muted green shade). Nantucket Red is a great option if that's your steez.

EFF Cotton2.jpg
EFF Cotton1.jpg

Huddersfield Mid-Weight Cavalry Twill: I freaking love this cloth, and if you don't already own a pair of Cav Twill pants, then seriously treat yourself. It's soft, comfortable, and tough as nails. Imagine your favorite cotton cords, but in a pure wool that drapes perfectly and catches the light beautifully. Platinum is a brilliant grey shade that's gonna go with everything you have, even a darker grey jacket. And Java is freaking unstoppable. What a great match to color 8 shell cordovan.

EFF Cav Twill.jpg

Vitale Barberis S120s Flannel: These date back to the days of Julie Hertling, and this fabric is justifiably famous. It's that soft, warm, and seriously luxe flannel that you've been dreaming of! Oxford Grey is an obvious basic that everyone needs, but I'm in love with the Bordeaux too. And Ivory is a particularly baller choice. It's not for everyone and I'm not going to say it's practical, but it's freaking awesome and it's a wonderful underpinning to all those big check and plaid jackets that you guys own.

EFF Flannel.jpg

Gladson S100s Tropical Wool: This is a straight-up fantastic basic wool dress pant fabric. No fuss, but it has slightly mixed color tone yarns for some texture and it's great on a hot day. Tobacco is the unique standout, and who couldn't use more grey dress pants? Great price at $225, considering that our stock tropicals in no-name fabric were $195 back in 2011.

EFF Tropical1.jpg

EFF Tropical2.jpg

Di Pray Check Flannels: Just awesome and bold colored checks from our favorite Italian mill. If these are for you then you know it! And if anyone wants a custom Doyle or Sinclair in these cloths, LMK... I'm sure that Hertling would sell me some of the fabric for that, and we'd be priced about $365.

EFF Plaid.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Who's in for Ivory Flannel??? :)

I'm honestly down to incentivize any Ivory Flannel purchases that you guys make. This fabric is freaking amazing and no one ever orders it. It's a big leap of faith, but it makes an amazing and really special pair of pants! What can we do to reward #teamivory?

Aleksjj-in-a-Neapolitan-Jacket.jpg

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly down to incentivize any Ivory Flannel purchases that you guys make. This fabric is freaking amazing and no one ever orders it. It's a big leap of faith, but it makes an amazing and really special pair of pants! What can we do to reward #teamivory?

Aleksjj-in-a-Neapolitan-Jacket.jpg
Ivory is the fabric that was calling my name tbh…

Duke Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm so tempted by the ivory, but I really don't think I can justify it in Los Angeles. I have two pair of grey flannel trousers and they get worn once or twice a year tops.

That being said, ivory flannel EZ Pants worn with a chunky sweater and some Wallabees would be the most relaxed outfit ever.

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike, any thoughts of doing any more of your IG live bits? Might be a good way to check out some of thee fabrics and such.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads