• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

apolloali

Reaction score
Yo, bigger guys — I wanna see how you make a 36/37 wilhem, rivet, ez, or rudy work. I feel like I only see smaller guys post pant fit pics and I want some inspiration.

I just got the 36 wilhem raw denim and it's the right size in waist but I worry it's a bit big in thigh for me. I'm thinking of trying to shrink it in hot water, but it might also fall better around the thigh once I get it hemmed. Thoughts?

Button hole

Reaction score
@Button hole fantastic.. so glad to hear that you like the bomber! I absolutely love that piece, and we'll definitely bring out some new options for Spring. I'm biased obvi, but I think its one of the best denim jackets on the market. It's an easy and functional shape that's distinct from the usual trucker design.

@JewishAmericana so great... thank you for picking it up! The craftsmanship on that Ikat cloth is really incredible and I hope you get a ton of wear out of it for this upcoming season!

I agree on all accounts. I think something else that makes it distinctive, at least to me, is how it fits into the Valstarino/A1 bomber look. I like how it, in its own way, fits into that ascetic in a way that no other piece of that kind of silhouette does. I was looking for an A-1 jacket for almost a year now and nothing else really worked for me which is why I jumped onthis the second I saw it.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yo, bigger guys — I wanna see how you make a 36/37 wilhem, rivet, ez, or rudy work. I feel like I only see smaller guys post pant fit pics and I want some inspiration.

I just got the 36 wilhem raw denim and it's the right size in waist but I worry it's a bit big in thigh for me. I'm thinking of trying to shrink it in hot water, but it might also fall better around the thigh once I get it hemmed. Thoughts?

I think that hemming and washing will go along way... when the denim is softer it’s going to drape better.

beyond that, I’d suggest getting the leg tapered rather than trying to shrink it in a wash. Since you’re in NYC, check out the Orchard Tailor Service... it’s dirt cheap ans

+1 inch club

Aight, definitely will take this under consideration for the next batch. Better to have stock sleeves be a little longer

I agree on all accounts. I think something else that makes it distinctive, at least to me, is how it fits into the Valstarino/A1 bomber look. I like how it, in its own way, fits into that ascetic in a way that no other piece of that kind of silhouette does. I was looking for an A-1 jacket for almost a year now and nothing else really worked for me which is why I jumped onthis the second I saw it.

awesome, that’s so great to hear!

altmana

Reaction score
@losrockets would be dope... I'll have to sample that too!

Oh yes, we made a field jacket shape last year!

32875762_391667301340736_4551330380614991872_n.jpg

I think that this piece was dope, but the shape wasn't a great seller. I'm open to suggestions on changes and improvements if you guys have any thoughts on it

POR VIDA!!!!
suggestions
1. remove buttons from top pockets
OR
2. remove one of the top pockets

i'd vote for 3 pockets all with buttons. i get that this may make it more doyle than field but dual top button pockets are my least favorite part.

nycs10011

Reaction score
@losrockets would be dope... I'll have to sample that too!

Oh yes, we made a field jacket shape last year!

32875762_391667301340736_4551330380614991872_n.jpg

I think that this piece was dope, but the shape wasn't a great seller. I'm open to suggestions on changes and improvements if you guys have any thoughts on it

POR VIDA!!!!

A belt of the same fabric would be cool, but I could see this making for an even more niche product. I've really liked some of the tweedy/ POW pattern safari jackets I've seen from the Pitti crowd but haven't actually bought anything like that.

mike2

Reaction score
Aight, definitely will take this under consideration for the next batch. Better to have stock sleeves be a little longer

How hard is it to shorten the sleeves on a Sinclair/Doyle jacket? I find them to be 2" too long, but with the working button I'm not sure who can do that kind of work. The lady at the dry cleaners does a great job with my suit sleeves, but I'm not sure she could handle this. Maybe I am wrong.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to shorten the sleeves on a Sinclair/Doyle jacket? I find them to be 2" too long, but with the working button I'm not sure who can do that kind of work. The lady at the dry cleaners does a great job with my suit sleeves, but I'm not sure she could handle this. Maybe I am wrong.
It should be an easy alteration since the entire cuff can be removed and the sleeve shortened. It is similar to shortening a dress shirt sleeve.

Working cuffs are tricky on sport coats because the buttonholes are cut into the sleeve itself, not a separate cuff. If Dry Cleaner Lady can shorten a shirtsleeve, she can do a Doyle.

L.I.T.

Reaction score

It should be an easy alteration since the entire cuff can be removed and the sleeve shortened. It is similar to shortening a dress shirt sleeve.

Working cuffs are tricky on sport coats because the buttonholes are cut into the sleeve itself, not a separate cuff. If Dry Cleaner Lady can shorten a shirtsleeve, she can do a Doyle.

Also the Doyle cuff doesn't have a sleeve placket so it shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've gotten both of my Doyle's shortened by 2 inches on the sleeves. I took it to a tailor and they had no issues shortening them.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Yup, as everyone said here, shortening the sleeves on Doyles is a really easy alteration to do

paxonus

Reaction score
that was a cool piece... Golden bear actually made that back in the day. We’d be talking like a $375 retail to do that with them now so probably not possible, but I’m definitely considering our bomber jacket in some lighter fabrics for Spring
I like the shape, but the pocket placement is too high for my liking. Any chance of getting it done with lower pockets?

velomane

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it. Was there a discount code for the latest wool tweed and flannel doyle MTO?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads