• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Opening Ceremony is Closing Their Stores

https://www.vogue.com/article/opening-ceremony-is-closing-all-its-stores

Was surprised to hear this news the other day. I'm not sure how many of you guys are familiar with them, but they were absolute legends in the retail scene. Looks like their retail operations are shutting down and they'll just continue as a licensed brand name.

I've been to their stores in NYC and LA many times, and it almost seemed like a textbook way of keeping a brick and mortar operation going. They constantly refreshed their concepts, the spots were seen as cool places to hang out, the staff was always pretty vibrant and friendly. What do you guys think?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t even know how multi brand stores stay relevant at this point even as I watched Barney’s shut down here in nyc. I knew of OC as I’d see random shirts or totes here or there, but I don’t really follow streetwear labels so I’m not sure how big of an operation they were.

I‘m not even sure how many brands or stores survive now as a brick in mortar especially in places like New York where the rents are obscene.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think retailers can survive as underground word-of-mouth type places. I remember visiting OC in NYC way back (a relative term here) in the day. At the time, I remember it was the kind of place that you really had to know about to find. Does anyone really want that any more? I feel like we communicate exclusivity through price and limited quantities (all hail "drop and kop" culture) more than secrecy now.

If a store can no longer be a destination, they have to branch out and become more of a brand. That seems to inevitably lead to over-extension and brand dilution.

OC closing further cements the notion that up-market retailers need to either be very small and very niche, like the Armoury, or offer a non-shopping store experience.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think retailers can survive as underground word-of-mouth type places. I remember visiting OC in NYC way back (a relative term here) in the day. At the time, I remember it was the kind of place that you really had to know about to find. Does anyone really want that any more? I feel like we communicate exclusivity through price and limited quantities (all hail "drop and kop" culture) more than secrecy now.

If a store can no longer be a destination, they have to branch out and become more of a brand. That seems to inevitably lead to over-extension and brand dilution.

OC closing further cements the notion that up-market retailers need to either be very small and very niche, like the Armoury, or offer a non-shopping store experience.
OC has a large store front in NYC. Not sure why you think it is a word of mouth, underground place. They also advertised through the normal channels.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don’t even know how multi brand stores stay relevant at this point even as I watched Barney’s shut down here in nyc. I knew of OC as I’d see random shirts or totes here or there, but I don’t really follow streetwear labels so I’m not sure how big of an operation they were.

I‘m not even sure how many brands or stores survive now as a brick in mortar especially in places like New York where the rents are obscene.

Yeah, both of you guys are right in many ways. I always thought OC would be distinct as they made their own collection and negotiated a lot of exclusive product. You'd often find things there that no one else would have, and although the stores were relatively large, they weren't the size and scope of a really large retailer.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
OC has a large store front in NYC. Not sure why you think it is a word of mouth, underground place. They also advertised through the normal channels.

Depends on the time frame, they were fairly underground in the early years, and they hit that part of Chinatown when no one else was there

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the orders guys! First 30 units are claimed! LMK what other content you’d like and I’ll be happy to shoot it. We’ll definitely do a round showing those sample pieces with other coordinating items so you can see how well these match up to stuff that you own already
How does this relate to your previous post on the material? Sorry a newb here. Are you just saying there is about enough material to make 100 more garments?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How does this relate to your previous post on the material? Sorry a newb here. Are you just saying there is about enough material to make 100 more garments?

Oh sorry... yeah, I know it's hard to follow what's happening in this thread with all of the subjects. I'm going to start a distinct one so that I can field questions and updates there.

At this point we've actually sold about 55 garments... so there's around 75 slots left. Nice mix with quite a few Hertling trousers in there and two three-piece suits!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cross post from our new Custom Clothing Thread...

Let's kick this off the most popular item on our Instagram right now... our in-house Doyle jacket in heavyweight Wool/Cashmere:

Doyle Wool Cash Main.jpg
Doyle Wool Cash Detail.jpg

This fabric has an awesome weight and a deep, handsome green tone. We can tailor the body and sleeve length to your specs. and each piece is hand-cut and individually sewn at our Los Angeles factory. There's an option for a rad handsewn interior monogram too!

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just dropping a request for a lightweight green Doyle for this spring/summer... Ripstop like the old pair of Rivets I have?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just dropping a request for a lightweight green Doyle for this spring/summer... Ripstop like the old pair of Rivets I have?

DUDE! Good idea... I was actually thinking to do a little ripstop capsule with the Doyle & Rivet in Olive & Navy ripstop.

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DUDE! Good idea... I was actually thinking to do a little ripstop capsule with the Doyle & Rivet in Olive & Navy ripstop.
Sweet! I have well worn pair of green ripstop Rivets I still wear in the summer. Would love a Doyle too! And maybe navy Rivets?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sweet! I have well worn pair of green ripstop Rivets I still wear in the summer. Would love a Doyle too! And maybe navy Rivets?

Yeah thinking both colors. It's fairly inexpensive cloth and there's no washing or production involved in it, so maybe we could do a preorder project and hit a really killer price on both of them. Something like $165 on the jacket and $110 on the pants?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads