• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mike, can you comment on which of the new trouser fabrics would be most useful for southern Cali folks? And are there any that would most likely see pretty limited action due to weight?

Mike can elaborate of course, but I'd say anything w/ "heavyweight" in the name, and probably all the tweeds, are going to see limited use in SoCal. It's just never really *that* cold in the winter, unless you live in the desert where nights can get proper cold. (I'm from San Diego). Flannels are likely borderline, but the others have promise. I think you're best bets are the Super 120s and other lighterweight wools. (FWIW)

vezatron

Reaction score
I regret not purchasing a few linen trousers during the last pre-order.

Any chance of scrapping the factory floor for some more light-weight fabrics?

runningfrog

Reaction score
i was re-organizing my closet earlier and took a couple epaulet p0rn shots:

:slayer:

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I wish my closet had space like that. All hangers are now squeezed together because of all the stuff I bought :(

Digi cam chinos today:
tumblr_m8khgzqCM51rux7jzo1_1280.jpg

jpc9

Reaction score
^I wish my closet had space like that. All hangers are now squeezed together because of all the stuff I bought
frown.gif
yeah, I had to institute a "fold cotton chinos, hang wool trousers" rule.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Mike - Looking to pull the trigger on one or more pairs and am looking for a pant that I can wear in a business environment: with either one of the following (does not have to work with all):
Caine Navy Sportcoat
Brown Houndstooth Sportcoat
Harris Tweek Silver\Black Herringbone Jacket (thinking about buying when available but not 100% sure).
Thanks,
Jamie

Hmmm, good question. Tough to find a trouser to go with them all.

Airforce Flannel has been the best seller so far, and that's going to work wtih all three of them. Typically you wouldn't wear a navy jacket with a non-matched navy pant, but the hopsack is really dark and the Airforce is much lighter, plus you have the difference in texture.

Outside of that, check out the Chartreuse tweed as a second pant. Going to look great with the Caine and the Brown Houndstooth - and it's a great trouser for a cool Canadian day.

Third pant to recommend is the Gunmetal Calvary Twill. Will go with all three (maybe not that great with the Brown Houndstooth, but ace with the other two), and it's a really tough, versatile fabric.

You mentioned a heathered Navy flannel a while back - will those be coming in down the road?

Oh, that's actually the one. I was talking about Airforce Flannel when I mentioned that. We have enough to cut 100 units in that cloth, but about 45 of those have been claimed so far. It's going to be killer!

just pinging this question again as I think it got missed...

Oh yes, sorry Stanley. I'm most likely not going to run Flannel suit separates this year, BUT we'll be able to take MTO orders on flannel suits in both medium grey flannel and charcoal flannel.

Sweet, thanks! I could use a standard light grey flannel, and if it's different enough from last year's Oxford Grey flannel then I'm in for that...plus I can put cuffs on this one so it will stand out from my other pair no matter what. Also a great point on the price, I probably won't find something like this for less than the Factory Finds price. Deciding on a 2nd pair now, maybe the Russet Nailhead...looks like a great brown trouser that could work easily with a lot of different pieces.
EDIT: errr, looks like the light grey flannel is sold out already!

Ah, sorry about that! We'll surely have a grey flannel Rudy preorder next month though, so we'll be able to get that for you.

Mike, when are the purple pants coming in? :slayer:

Looking at mid September for that. The first two Shetland trousers (Navy and Cocoa Herringbone) will be here at the end of next week.

And is it too obnoxious to name the purple tweed... "Nightshade Tweed?" Nightshade is the Edward Green name for purple leather, and I'm kind of taken with that word.

Mike, can you comment on which of the new trouser fabrics would be most useful for southern Cali folks? And are there any that would most likely see pretty limited action due to weight?

Most of the fabrics will be good for SoCal. You'll want to avoid the Chessboard Tweed, Chartreuse Tweed, and Grey Flannel, but nothing else in there is really heavy. I can imagine that you can wear most of them comfortably in 60 degree temps or lower.

The new Epaulet Outfits shoot with Dylan Boelte is so good. The fits were on point. :slayer:
And all you dudes making me want to get in on my first trouser order. Alas, first rent is due soon and i'll probably be living in a hole somewhere eating ramen for the next academic year. :violin:

Thank you sir! I'm thrilled with how it came out. That guy is a great sport.

I regret not purchasing a few linen trousers during the last pre-order.
Any chance of scrapping the factory floor for some more light-weight fabrics?

Oh, we surely have some linens left. I just didn't reactivate them because I didn't think most guys would be interested given the mid September delivery. But I can PM you some options - we can absolutely cut those for you.

i was re-organizing my closet earlier and took a couple epaulet p0rn shots:

:slayer:

Awesome! And add me to the group of guys who are VERY jealous of your closet space. That looks great!

^I wish my closet had space like that. All hangers are now squeezed together because of all the stuff I bought :(
Digi cam chinos today:
tumblr_m8khgzqCM51rux7jzo1_1280.jpg
You are seriously owning those camo trousers - I love your fits with those!

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it isn't too much trouble, I'd love a PM with remaining available linen options as well. Thanks!

driving glove

Reaction score
Snared the salt and pepper donegal tweed and the olive flannels.....sartorially enriched but fiscally impoverished . I'm happy.

runningfrog

Reaction score

yeah, I had to institute a "fold cotton chinos, hang wool trousers" rule.

hmm, that's a good rule, it may come to that later. i folded my hiking/climbing pants since they're synthetic and don't really wrinkle.

RF, where are your trouser hangers from? Not that I have room for any, just curious.

the trouser hangers are from hanger project (SF affiliate): http://www.hangerproject.com/mens-hangers.html

i also use their shirt and suit hangers. good quality hangers, i highly recommend them.

nice blog entry!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Very nice, thanks for the writeup!

If it isn't too much trouble, I'd love a PM with remaining available linen options as well. Thanks!

Sure, I actually got about a dozen requests for this, so I reactivated them on the site. We've got two colors available to order:

Special Order Trouser Pale Lime Linen 10 units can be cut in this color

Special Order Trouser Dove Linen 6 units can be cut in this color

hmm, that's a good rule, it may come to that later. i folded my hiking/climbing pants since they're synthetic and don't really wrinkle.
the trouser hangers are from hanger project (SF affiliate): http://www.hangerproject.com/mens-hangers.html
i also use their shirt and suit hangers. good quality hangers, i highly recommend them.
nice blog entry!

+1, I saw Kirby's hangers in person at the Styleforum event in San Francisco, and they're amazing. If you've got the closet space for them, then I'd highly recommend them. Sold by a very nice guy too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads