1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

I bought that one on Mike's recommendation and it's worked great as far as I can tell. It's not as thorough as ironing but it takes hardly any time and is more than adequate for casual shirts.

3. Dirty Gurty

Dirty Gurty Senior member

4. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I am pretty decent at ironing. Mom used to make me iron everything in middle and high school, haha.

5. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I still iron. Especially when it comes to light colored dress shirts, the ironing skill shines thru! (Until the shirt is wrinkled in the car)

6. Don L

Don L Senior member

I have pretty much the same steamer and it works great if you hang dry the shirts while still damp. For some fabrics, I still need to iron or send off to the cleaners.

7. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

i hang dry and let them be

8. Abecedarian

Abecedarian Senior member

I have a Conair steam press. Works as well as an iron but is much easier to store as it's a single unit.

9. vezatron

vezatron Senior member

Someone should buy my shoes. :)

10. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Light gray Regiment Twill Walt:
    [​IMG]

11. digga

digga Senior member

I will definitely have to consider a steamer. I run through all the water in my iron for one shirt... I'm not sure if the iron sucks or just me. Probably both, but I think it's mostly me.

12. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

I started with the Conair, but found that the water condesated too much unless the head was kept above shoulder height. I then spent the extra on a Jiffy steamer with a metal head. Highly recommended.

13. lostintranslation

lostintranslation Senior member

To everyone who responded: thank you for the advice. I let my Carminas fully dry over the night. Here are some updated pictures with what they look like after airing out a little bit:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think? Are these boots salvageable? They look pretty bad, and I definitely learned my lesson, heh...

14. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I dig the west coast preppie vibe here a lot!

Trust me, a decent steamer will change your life. I find it indispensable, and it's so much easier and faster to use than an iron. Just stick to distilled water to keep white flecks off your clothing - especially if you have hard tap water.

Agreed, they're going for $250 and in a really common size! You size 10D Barrie last guys will absolutely love these.

Yup, full delivery of Luchino polos is scheduled in about a month. We're restocking navy and bringing in a few new colors. Same specs as last year, but we've ordered size XS through L, so that everyone's covered (you need to size down one for the polos).

And apologies up front for the confusion on that. I tried to have our Italian factory re-tag the sizes so that they jive exactly with our shirting, but the language barrier was a little insurmountable on that point. I didn't want to risk the polos coming in too big again.

Good advice here. I just went through this exact same scenario with a pair of Ludwig Reiter shoes.

Salt stains after wearing calfskin in the rain are pretty common - especially if you're walking a lot in a city. This is my technique for dealing with them. After they dry out, use a quality saddle soap to thoroughly clean the leather. Let it dry and sit, and then follow up with (1) a leather conditioner if the salt marks come out completely or (2) a colored polish if they're still visible. It should be good to go after that.

I've never used vinegar on to clean the stains, but don't stress on that point either. If it somehow permanently tinted the leather, then bring the boots to a cobbler. He'll use a darker polish and even out the tones to a uniform color. Should be no problem.

And take your time. Once the salt dries, the stains are set anyway. It doesn't really matter if you clean the boots now or a week or two from now. Carmina uses a great quality calfskin and it should be able to stand up to salt, cleaning, and vinegar without a problem.

Thank you sir, and glad that you like the shirts! Seam holes should be no problem with the removed darts, especially after a wash. Cold wash and hang dry is what we always advise.

Well, I don't think that there's a big functional difference beween rounded and squared collar button ends, it's just a stylistic choice. Kind of like rounded, squared, or mitered shirt cuffs.

The main thing that we did was to spread the collar out width-wise. It became a bit shorter and a bit wider. This gives it more room for a tie - especially if you like a 3" or wider size and/or a half windsor or windsor knot.

We first designed the Epaulet buttondown back in 2009, and thinner ties (like Band of Outsiders and such) were the new thing. The original concept was to make a tall, prominent, and mod collar that didn't overpower a skinny-ish tie. Since those days, there's been more interest in traditional width ties and sportcoats among our customers, so I thought that this was a good move. It retains that strong collar that we're known for, but lends itself to being dressed up a bit more - although it can certainly be worn casually without a problem.

Thank you sir - glad to hear that you're so pleased with everything!

We'll have nearly all of our Spring trouser line available for Rudy orders. And I've got about 20 factory find choices - all of which are lightweight and ideal for the May-Jun delivery window. Lots of linens - including striped and herringbone ones, a few tropical wools, and some great cottons.

The double monk is going to come in snuff suede, just like last year:

[​IMG]

I'm hoping that we'll get them in the next delivery.

The Rand Single Monk fits similarly to the double monk, BUT the Rain last is not as wide as the Inca. Most customers can wear both, but if you're on the wider side of a medium width, then you're probably better off with the Inca last.

Haha, he be pimpin' er'ry day up in here!

15. lostintranslation

lostintranslation Senior member

Thank you for your response. That's definitely nice to know. Would you guys recommend using a salt stain remover or the saddle soap (such as Kiwi's?) that Mike suggested?

16. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Mike,

when will the voting poll for the before and after contest launch?

Also, when are the Carminas that were with the group order coming in? Not really rushing to wear them, but just curious!

17. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I wonder who has the most Epaulet'd out wardrobe. I think it may be Rob. I know most of my trousers are made by Epaulet :embar:

18. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Gonna set it up in the next day or two. Thanks for bearing with me. Matt was out on vacation last week, and he's going to be the point man for putting this together.

And Carminas should be here - hopefully - by the end of the week. We'll be in touch with everyone who preordered and post all of the open stock styles here.

Try the soap first. I know that it's disconcerting to see the leather like this, but look at it like a really dirty pair of pants. While it's entirely possible to stain leather permanently, it's tough to do by walking around in normal soap/rain/dirt. I'd be surprised if it takes more than soap to clean them up. Be sure to rub in circles and be conservative with how much soap you use at first.

But it's worth nothing for everyone out there - if you've never used a good cobbler before, then take it from me - these guys can work magic. It's what they do. Even if your boots are somehow permanently discolored (I doubt it, but it can happen), then a good cobbler can work the color into an even tone. Provided the leather is good quality and isn't ripped or peeling, it's nearly always salvageable.

19. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I looked in my closet and I actually own zero pairs of non-Epaulet trousers, unless you count denim. All of my wool, linen, and cotton trousers are Epaulet :)

Hey Mike - I liked your explanation to SVB's question about the collars, I'm also curious to know what goes on in the thought process behind that, so thanks for sharing! And adding to your point about people preferring wider ties....I like a wide-ish tie (around 3.5"), which means I'm also digging wider lapels on jackets. Any chance you would introduce a new jacket shape with some big fat lapels as opposed to the slim-ish ones you're currently offering on all your jacket models?

20. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member