• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One issue for this first production run. The sizing is about one size larger than our shirts. Meaning that a Small polo will work for a Medium shirt customer, and so on. We had intended to order XS through Large, but Small through XLarge were produced instead.
So, for this early batch, if you're a true Small in our shirts or a 36 chest, chances are that the Small polo will be too big for you. Everyone else can just size down and your fit's going to be spot on.
Apologies to the size small dudes! But we've got the pattern fixed and the logistics finalized. We'll order a mix of short sleeves and long sleeves for the Fall, and we'll be sure to bring plenty of styles that will fit you on the next go-around. We've already sold a dozen units in the stores, and this is definitely going to be a category that we build out even further.

As a size small, this makes me sad. :-/ Maybe if I'm impatient and foolhardy enough I'll get a Medium and take it to my tailor. lol

I usually stay out of this stuff. But I'll go on record to say that the RL uniforms for the Olympics are complete and utter bullshit. It's actually unbelievable.
I think this is a massive failure, an ugly PR hit, and a huge disappointment. I wouldn't be surprised if someone loses their job for it.

What's sad is that there were similar -- though not as loud -- criticisms before Beijing and Vancouver. Which just makes this all the sadder.

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a size small, this makes me sad. :-/ Maybe if I'm impatient and foolhardy enough I'll get a Medium and take it to my tailor. lol

you mean get a Small, no? As stated they will make 'em, but will just fit closer to a size M. I'm in the same boat, though the size S woven shirts are bordering on being tight for me in the chest, which makes me think I could pull off the polo. Great, more things to spend money on...

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Purple pants got me interested!

Haha, they're going to be so freaking boss it hurts.

you mean get a Small, no? As stated they will make 'em, but will just fit closer to a size M. I'm in the same boat, though the size S woven shirts are bordering on being tight for me in the chest, which makes me think I could pull off the polo. Great, more things to spend money on...

Yes, the Small is probably going to be a better fit for a Medium shirt guy. Chest measurement is about 18.5" on the Small

That said, if a Small Epaulet shirt is very slim on the chest for you, then it's very possible that a Small in this polo will work for you. It's a pretty slim and tapered shape, so unless you like your polos tight (like me and Wisith do), then the fit should still be very nice on you. Matt is actually in that boat, and he liked the fit of the Small on him.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha, they're going to be so freaking boss it hurts.
Yes, the Small is probably going to be a better fit for a Medium shirt guy. Chest measurement is about 18.5" on the Small
That said, if a Small Epaulet shirt is very slim on the chest for you, then it's very possible that a Small in this polo will work for you. It's a pretty slim and tapered shape, so unless you like your polos tight (like me and Wisith do), then the fit should still be very nice on you. Matt is actually in that boat, and he liked the fit of the Small on him.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. Small. I don't like a tight fit, so we'll see.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
(start rant)

I usually stay out of this stuff. But I'll go on record to say that the RL uniforms for the Olympics are complete and utter bullshit. It's actually unbelievable.

Outside of style criticisms (of which of I have many, especially due to that g-damn enormous logo), the fact that these were not made in the United States is absolutely shocking. I know RL has some smart people working there. They know all of the manufacturing points in the United States. I see a Navy jacket which could have been made at Southwick, Oxxford, Hickey, Rocco, or Greenfield. Lots of options for shirts. Skirts are certainly easy. Shoes could have been made at Alden. And hell, they could have asked us to make the trousers.

Actually, I don't know anyone who makes berets here. May have had to outsource those. Or better yet, not make them at all.

Did NO ONE think for even a second that they MIGHT be criticized for making the United States Olympics uniforms outside of the United States? Seriously? In all of the meetings that must have surrounded this project, that never occurred to anyone? If it was some mass merchant doing it, like the Gap, I'd at least understand their mentality. But RL currently produces things in the States. Why the hell wouldn't they make it here?

I think this is a massive failure, an ugly PR hit, and a huge disappointment. I wouldn't be surprised if someone loses their job for it.

(end rant)

Agree 100%; that was more or less an expounded version of my feelings when I first saw them. The logo was the first thing to catch my eye and it really is terrible. I assumed it was probably all made in China so I wasn't surprised to hear that it was, but I was no less disgusted. You're absolutely right about all of the places they could have (and should have) used, including Epaulet for the pants! People are more and more savvy regarding this stuff these days and apparently RL is learning that the hard way. Seems like they deserve to.

Anyway, here's today:

Epaulet
APC
MMM

altmana

Reaction score

YES! They actually arrived on Thursday, and they look fantastic. We've got them in Navy, Burgundy, and Infrared. They're slim and mod as hell. Beautifully made too in Northern Italy.
I have them shot and we'll look to get them built out on the site tomorrow. They're $135, and I think that you'll find them superior to Sunspel and other comparable items at this price point. The cotton pique is perfect.

I am guessing the Infrared is a cross between an orange and a red? As for sizing, I have both smalls and mediums, though the smalls do fit better, so I feel fine rolling the dice on a small. Especially since I don't like my polo's too tight.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chelsea boots are awesome!

Last edited:

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see what the Infrared looks like. I'm a 40-41" chest, Medium in RL polos, and Large in Kent Wang. I own no Epaulet shirting at present. Can anyone help me out on Epaulet polo sizing? I'm guessing a S or M based on the size-down requirement.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't wait to see what the Infrared looks like. I'm a 40-41" chest, Medium in RL polos, and Large in Kent Wang. I own no Epaulet shirting at present. Can anyone help me out on Epaulet polo sizing? I'm guessing a S or M based on the size-down requirement.

Probably a medium.

I wear a size small in Epaulet collar shirts and my chest measures at 37" exactly.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ditto, though I probably have a greater "need" for the navy.

Hey! He's back. We were going to get a picture from one of your WAWYTs for a milk carton missing person post.

bearspoke

Reaction score
Oh yes. I've got a muted Purple tweed which will absolutely blow your mind. We should have it here around early September.

I'd love to see a swatch or hear a little more about the tweed also!. I'm a sucker for purple and I love tweed but I'm picky when it comes to pattern/weaves.

Thanks!

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd love to see a swatch or hear a little more about the tweed also!. I'm a sucker for purple and I love tweed but I'm picky when it comes to pattern/weaves. 

Thanks!

+1 on swatch

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads