• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

espen

Reaction score
Yeah...photo of me, not by me. I seriously lack the skills/patience that some of Epaulet regulars have to take a decent shot.

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
received my first pair of rivets yesterday (khaki), they are fantastic. Immediately ordered two more of the lightweights so I can get through the stupid summer heat intact.

stingray1381

Reaction score

For those who own the EPxMackintosh raincoat - how breatheable is it? I really want that thing in my life, but I have heard that Mackintoshes, even with the underarm vents, have very poor breatheability thus rendering them useful in a fairly narrow set of circumstances - ie when it is both very cold and quite wet. Not sure I can drop a grand on such a situational purchase just yet...

I have one, and I have worn it in very warm weather in DC. I find it to be very breathable.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Espen, you're really hot.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the Lower East Side, Stanton is by far the best tailor. They're actually the best tailor for the money that I've ever used in NYC. I've had them do very complex work on sportcoats and overcoats, and everything came out very clean. And for a shockingly low price. That said, we don't typically recommend them at this time of the year because the turnaround is very slow. It can be weeks for even a simple job, as they're so backlogged with wedding work. But if you have something complex and you can wait, then you should definitely go there.

This is absolutely true, and for me the wait is worth it. I ebayed a suit with pleated pants and they converted them to flat-front pants for $40 and did flawless work (this operation usually costs $100+). It did take four weeks, though. In my experience they'll do hems in 24-48 hours. Not as fast as the guys across the street, but I like giving them the business.

For all you frequent Epauletters, for someone owning zero pairs of pants, which ones (as in style/color) would you suppose one should buy first?

You can name more than one.

One pair of chinos and one pair of regiment twill walts. Colors/fabrics of your choosing (probably one lighter and one darker -- khaki and gunmetal are solid choices).

Last edited:

jpc9

Reaction score
Would love to see a twill rivet in that moss color
smile.gif

Been looking for a pair of olive twill chinos, the W+H ones are a little brown for my taste

Hate to hawk another brand, but if you have to have a twill version that is true olive (not brown) before Mike et al make one , LF has olive twill chinos on sale right now. But if you're looking for a rivet fit, SOL there without some extensive tailoring (slimming, mostly...I have done this and it's just not the same), which really sucks because even on sale, they're still more expensive, and when you toss in the tailoring fees, well, you just bought a pair of $200+ cotton chinos. That's a fail in my book.

This is really what makes epaulet rivets/trousers so special: high quality fabrics, flattering cuts that require little tailoring, and a great price point. At least for me, this is the best of all sartorial worlds when it comes to trousers. I hate physically shopping (and CA state sales tax) and order almost all my gear online. Epaulet is ideal for this sort of disposition. I order pants, they show up at my house in 2-4 days, I hem or not for a nominal fee, and wear (with joy). Cut. print. done. If I have to screw with extensive tailoring jobs, there goes the most important part of the process: joy. Come to think of it, forget the earlier LF sale recommendation. Just hold out for olive twills from Epaulet.

Last edited:

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
So, with the weather being what it is, I'm naturally thinking about fall. Are you planning to restock the moleksin Walts?

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I walked into a Converse outlet here in Charleston today, and the SA there couldn't stop talking about my chinos - I was wearing the 10oz French Blues. He said he usually buys most of his stuff from Banana Republic and Urban Outfitters, and he'd never seen anything like the color I had on. He asked where I got them, and I ended up writing the website down for him on a business card. These things always grab attention no matter where you go!

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would love to see a twill rivet in that moss color :)
Been looking for a pair of olive twill chinos, the W+H ones are a little brown for my taste

There's a Moss color in the 10oz Duck canvas - best chino money can buy IMO.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYR - Nice v-neck. I've been looking for a decent slimmer fitting v-neck without such a deep v in other colors than my white Hanes. What you got??

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NYR - Nice v-neck. I've been looking for a decent slimmer fitting v-neck without such a deep v in other colors than my white Hanes. What you got??

Thanks T. I get so many compliments on these tees, they're from H&M last summer...they have similar ones now...$8.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads