Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Shirt Contest

Thanks for all of the submissions, there's some serious ass-kickers in there! We're going to put together a voting thread and work to get it online by the end of the week. Random drawing is going to go down right after that. You guys really outdid yourselves this time!

Carmina Handsewn Preview Pics

This coming July, we're going to introduce two exclusive handsewn loafers with Carmina. The retail is going to be around $335, and their quality is absolutely phenomenal. Here's some preview pics below. Our shoes will be done in different materials and with a thicker sole, but this is the basic shape.

[​IMG]
    Beefroll Penny Loafer - ours will be in Caramel calfskin.

[​IMG]
    Rolled English Moc Loafer - ours will be in Snuff suede. Using this kind of moc on suede is nice, as you won't see the rough interior of the suede around the edge of the moc toe. This design covers it and gives you a cleaner overall look.

I can't wait for these. I know that a lot of guys were disappointed when we discontinued the Sewn by Hand loafers, but hopefully this will make up for it. These will be the finest quality mocs for the price that I've seen anywhere. The fit on them is excellent too.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

2. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Not sure how to describe them, except they're true red, not burgundy or anything of that nature. Pictures were taken at 8AM or so before the sun was fully up if that matters.

3. jimney

jimney Senior member

Mike - I have sort of a strange question. More than any other type of clothing I've looked at, polos seem to come almost entirely from China (and other lower-cost sources). I see relatively few made in the USA/Italy/Japan. Is there something specific to polos that causes this?

4. Epaulet

Wow, I'm really glad that you asked this!

In my mind, you've got three levels of Polo shirts - at least in North America and much of Europe:

Cheap & Casual
    These are generally made in Asia of very inexpensive cotton pique. It's low-quality yarn, often a lousy fit, and priced to match. This is the kind of product that's ranging from Old Navy to J.Crew. It's not necessarily a bad thing - it's just inexpensive and casual. Kind of a step above a t-shirt.

Branded/Status
    Here you've got Fred Perry, Lacoste, Polo, and the like. Production country can vary (Chino for RL, England for Fred Perry, Peru for Lacoste) and the quality is generally better - although not necessarily in direct relation to the increased price. Better quality here means longer-wearing yarn and a better tendency to retain the correct fit with wash and wear. The overall style is still on the casual side. I've owned dozens and dozens of these shirts.

Fine-Gauge Polo Knits
    You'll mostly find these in Southern Europe (Italy primarily), Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore. They're polos in the sense that they have a polo design and collar, but they're made with expensive, fine cotton pique cloth. We're talking the comparison between a J.Crew chino and an Epaulet cotton Walt trouser or Incotex chino. Despite a similar design, there's a world of difference between the two garments.

Here in the States, this is nearly impossible to find in a slim shape. Although you'll find classic-cut polos in this range from the likes of Zegna.

Our Polos are going to be in this range. Sunspel is in this range IMO, but we'll use a micro-pique rather than a flat knit and a slimmer fit with ribbed sleeves. As a result, ours will have an old-school 60's look that really harkens back to the golden years of Italian lightweight knitwear. The pricing is going to be similar to Sunspel - I'm pretty sure that we'll be at $130 or $135 retail.

5. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

6. jimney

jimney Senior member

Thank you for the response, Mike! That clears things up quite a bit.

7. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

What animal are you planning on featuring for your version of the Big Pony polo, Mike?

8. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

obviously:

[​IMG]

actually, no logo -- just giant epaulets. [​IMG]

9. Epaulet

Haha, beat me to it!

Actually, we now have a second Boston Terrier. She's only 3 months old. Her name's Roxy and she is a total maniac:

[​IMG]

10. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

Wow congrats Mike! They must be a handful., though very fun and cute I am sure.

11. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Oxford Rivets...Hot as Hell today, did some work in the school's boiler room on my hockey sticks, figured I could use a prop today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. PDinh

PDinh Senior member

I am overly excited for epaulet polos. :slayer: :slayer:

13. trig

trig Senior member

is that you casey jones?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I wish I still had that hair...

15. runningfrog

runningfrog Senior member

nice nyr! i'm also wearing oxford rivets and navy suede lwbs. inferno in san jose today, it was up to 94F earlier. quick iphone pic at my desk:

[​IMG]