1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. applky

applky Senior member

Agreed. Shell polish is generally wax, which doesn't moisturize much, if at all -- it just restores/evens out color and very marginally protects the shell from water/weather. Since it has that minor sealing effect, you want to make sure your shell is very well moisturized before you polish, which is what Saphir Renovateur or Venetian Creme will do. Mike sells Renovateur, which IMO is an indispensable shoe care product. I use it on all fine leathers, including Carmina dress calf. (Just not suede or nubuck of course.)

I think there's some Leffot/Leather Soul/Uncle Mac recommendation out there for shell that goes something like 20x applications of Renovateur per application of polish. I personally don't polish my shell at all -- Renovateur and Venetian Creme only.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. stlms3

stlms3 Senior member

Ok, so I have had to curtail spending for a bit, but I should hopefully have some disposable income this month, so I apologize for all of the questions, but I want to make sure that my bigger purchases are the right choices, and I have gradually been saving all of these questions up in my head haha!

First, I won a dark grey John Smedley merino V neck on ebay and it is great. However, it is definitely on the darker side of grey and I would really like a medium grey merino sweater for it's versatility. The one on the website looks kind of dark and I was wondering if you would consider it a medium grey or a dark grey?

Second, I also scored a grey CPO jacket over the summer off of ebay. It is my standard day to day jacket... I f#@*ing love it! I was wondering, how does the Eisenhower compares in both warmth and length? I am guessing it is a bit too short for my taste, but if it is at least almost as long as the CPO, it would be perfect... If it is noticeably shorter, you should totally take some of the sweet details and qualities of the Eisenhower and throw it on a CPO next year!

Also, I think that you said that you were pretty much done with restocks of the tweeds for the year, but any chance of seeing anymore grey Donegals?

And any cap toe danite Carmina boots coming in this year?

Lastly, it is a toss up with the three shawl cardigans you got in, but I can only afford one. The navy is listed as "navy marl". Is that a true navy or is it noticeably lighter? Is the ivy marl more green or grey? It definitely seems to be the more popular choice. Which of those two do you feel is easier to integrate into a wardrobe? And you mentioned that the grey one you got in could double as outerwear to an extent. Do you think it would be comfortable to wear it during 35-45* non windy days with a scarf and a flannel?

You also asked about opinions on striped shirts. I like stripes, but I feel like they need to be fairly subtle. I think that checks can look pretty natural even when on the louder side, but stripes just seem like you are trying too hard if not done perfectly.

Oh, and the 12oz brushed cotton rivets are seriously warm! They have become my favorite casual winter pant!

Thanks for the help!

3. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Thanks for the advice, Rob. The Carmina shell ages very differently than my Alden's. Very interesting.

Edit: I looked up some Saphir products and there's quite a few. Which of these should I get? It will be for saddle shell.

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1349/Saphir-Pommadier-Cream-Shoe/Detail

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1350/Saphir-Pate-de-Luxe/Detail

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1352/Saphir-Renovateur-Cleaner-&/Detail

I already brush the shells. Crazy enough to have a separate brush for each hue.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  4. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Sure thing, here's from our side:

1. The grey merino v-neck is a medium grey, it's not too dark. Computer monitors can make it look different shade, but try viewing it on a new-ish iphone. They'll typically have the brightness set at a standard level, and you can really get a feel for the exact tone on there. If you're open to a polo neck, consider the navy one. That will give you an entirely different color, it looks boss with grey trousers, and it's a really cool style. I wear mine a few times a week.

2. Good job on the CPO! I believe that the length is similar to the Eisehower, but you'll probably want to measure it out and see how it compares.

3. Grey Donegal is mostly tapped out, but I might have some more Italian fabric. The UK is definitely out of stock, save for what we have in store.

4. Got a big Carmina delivery coming next week. I didn't run any pure Dainte soles outside of the black chelsea boot, but we did quite a bit on the leather/rubber Dainite york sole.

5. Navy Marl is a pretty rich tone of blue. A bit lighter than the typical navy sweater. Ivy is definitely green and not grey. You could definitely get away with the Hardie grey cardigan with a thick flannel shirt on a non-windy cold day.

Navy has been more popular, as it's always the most popular color for sweaters. Ivy is really beautiful. If we have your size, I'd recommend that. It's a boss color that's easy to match with navy, grey, or khaki pants, works great with jeans, and is an unexpected, rare tone. I love mine.

Renovateur all the way. That's all that I've ever used on my saddle shell cordovan shoes.

And just one note: both Alden & Carmina shell cordovan comes from Horween, and it's made with the exact same tanning process. The respective makers have their own methods of dying and tweaking the final color, but that has a minimal effect on how the leather ages. There's not a real difference between Alden & Carmina shell cordovan, but there is a real difference between every individual cut of shell cordovan. Because it's such a rare leather, it's not nearly as standardized as calfskin or cowhide, and it's entirely possible to get two of the exact same shoes, from the same maker, produced at the same time, and have them age differently. This uniqueness is one of the most exciting properties of shell cordovan for me.

5. wj4

wj4 Senior member

^So which product do you use on yours, Mike? All 3?!

6. Epaulet

Just Renovateur. All that I ever use on my cordovan shoes and boots.

7. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

This. wj4, search the Mac Method. Wipe with damp cloth to remove dirt. Then allow dry. Add Reno. Allow to haze. Buff like mad, first with brush, then with cloth.

Done.

8. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Thanks, Mike. I'll put the order in with the Carminas.

I do follow the Mac Method except I have not needed to use any cream on the shells yet. So far, just wet damp and brushing have been sufficient (except for this pair).

9. stlms3

stlms3 Senior member

Thanks for answering all of my questions... I am leaning towards the grey shawl.

And I meant York soles, so I will wait to see what you get in before I jump on my next bigger purchase.

10. RuffyD

RuffyD Senior member

Picked up my first pair of Epaulet trousers during the sale; butterscotch canvas in rudy fit. [​IMG]

11. pekingman

pekingman Well-Known Member

Time to turn the stokedness dial up to 11! I just heard that my delivery of 5 Factory Finds (3 from the 1st round and 2 from the 2nd) has arrived in Hong Kong - in time to collect when I head there later this week for a business trip. For good measure I added the cocoa Shetland Walts and a couple of shirts (one of the popovers and an Ashland) in the order as well [​IMG]

It was quite a wait (Epaulet don't deliver to China, so I usually time my pickups with other visits - this avoids also the random import taxes/duties here) but I'll be able to put the linens (blue herringbone and pale lime linen) to use during the trip, and then switch to the serious winter trousers (airforce flannel, chartreuse tweed and cocoa Shetland) back in Beijing...! I must thank both Adele and Matt again for their help over many e-mails in putting together the final combined package.

12. jacksh

jacksh Well-Known Member

Pekingman--Epaulet do deliver to China! I've received a couple orders no problem.

13. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

Just received my Rudy special orders (gunmetal worsted wool flannel). Fantastic fabric, tailor loves it. I'd... throttle a screaming baby on an airplane if I could get an MTM jacket from this material. :D

14. Epaulet

When we're making trousers that are infant-throttling good, something must be right!

Thank you sir! Really glad that you're so happy with everything - it was our pleasure!

Yes, this is absolutely true. Although we don't have shipment to China built into our online site, anyone in the mainland can always email us and we can send over shipping quotes and options. Although most people there prefer to route the packages through friends or family in Hong Kong to avoid import taxes. Shipping to HK is extremely fast and easy.

Yup, we should have quite a few of those with the incoming shipment.

Thank you sir - glad that you like them!

15. kumizi

kumizi Senior member

EU 52 is a US 42, correct?

Still have one?

16. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

PS, when's the next Rudy Special Order going up?

17. Epaulet

Yes, or a US 40 given the slim shape. But my apologies - both units were sold over the past few days.

Definitely this week. I'm checking in on fabric inventory tomorrow. I believe that we can still cut another 10-12 Airforce Flannels, and there's a bunch of other good stuff. Delivery for this round will be mid-January.

And, our team packed a psycho amount of Factory Finds this weekend! If your trousers didn't ship out on Saturday, they'll be picked up tomorrow. You guys should all have them soon!

18. ryosuke

ryosuke Senior member

Hey Mike, when do you expect a restock on the flannel shirts?

19. Epaulet

Factory Finds "Sample Sale"

Hey guys,

In the course of our Factory Finds project, a few extra units were cut. We discounted the price to $110 and they're available for immediate purchase. For the most part, these are the last units in their fabrics. To see the lineup, just scroll down to the bottom of "Mens Clothing" on our new site: epauletnewyork.com:

http://epauletnewyork.com/collections/mens-clothing

One quick comment: if you wear a Walt 30, then jump on this Chessboard Birdseye pant. It's the last of its kind, and this fabric is psychotically rad. Really, it blew us away.
    http://epauletnewyork.com/collections/mens-clothing/products/sample-walt-chessboard-tweed-30

20. Feji

Feji Senior member

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but will you be putting the measurement chart for sizes on your new website? That was one of the best features of the old site.