• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This may be the most important question I've asked so far....Mike, how did you derive with the "Epaulet" name?

An epaulet ("epaulette") is a shoulder strap worn by soldiers, mostly on ceremonial uniforms.

Last edited:

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
For that matter, why is Epaulet named Epaulet?
Good questions. I came up with the name late one night, about three months before we opened the shop. Adele and I were brainstorming on names, and we wanted something with one word, rolls off the tongue easily, is unisex. I started rattling off garment names and "epaulet" struck a chord with both of us. It is pretty funny that very little clothing that we carry actually has epaulets.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

LOVE the new Ashlands, and the price point seems to have come down for those fabrics, which is an unexpected plus.
Guys, I'll be in for a lavender chambray Ashland, size Small, in a few days.

Thanks, see you soon!

Motherfucker. I'm offline for a Sunday and the medium is already sold out in the lavender? :fu:
I've been waiting for these shirts to drop since, well, I found out there would be Ashland shirts dropping in spring...

Ah, apologies for that! We've got, I believe, three more Ashland shirts in-bound in the next week or so and I already dropped Gitman an inquiry on reordering this Lavender Chambray. Pretty sure that they have more fabric, and hopefully we can get another run in 4-5 weeks or so. It's an absolutely killer Spring/Summer piece.

Thanks for costing me $185 this afternoon, bro :embar:

Thanks again guys! Good lord, I'm so freaking excited to see how your Madras pants come out. They're going to be absolutely killer.

Speaking of weight and fitness,... I'm selling a pair of Khaki Canvas Rivet Chinos in 32. Just arrived at my house yesterday. I'm a first time buyer and I sized 'em up wrong. PM me if your interested, or on the off chance you've got a pair of 33s you want to trade.

Feel free to drop us an email, you can also exchange those without a problem. We'll be back in stock fully on Khaki Canvas in about 10 days or so, and we can absolutely get you into a pair of 33's.

Whoa! Did they only get like 3 units of each size in on the lavender chambray Ashland? Hopefully I don't get the dreaded "n/a" email for this order.:uhoh:
By the way, which Walt is he wearing in the picture below? At first I thought it was the Gunmetal, but the picture for the actual Gunmetal Walt looked a lot darker on my screen.

Our Ashland production was pretty conservative, but I'm going to try to reorder that shirt. The Ashland line has developed a pretty good following lately - especially in our shops - so I probably under-cut the shirts this season. But we should be able to make some more.

And the trousers in the fit pic are the new "Shadow Stripes"
http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1469/'Slim-Walt-Trouser-Super/Detail

This is a tough fabric to show in photos. It's not something that I would typically choose, but the soft hand on this cloth really blew me away. It's lightweight and seriously comfortable. For everyone out there facing a crazy hot Summer, definitely check these out.

btw got my plum duck canvas today. LOVE the color!

Thank you sir!

Is there a plan to make some french blue, lighter weight pants for the spring/summer?

You bet. Rivet Chinos will come in 7oz French Blue (current weight is 10oz) in about two weeks.

Walt Regiment Twill will be introduced in Royal Blue in around 4 weeks. It's a darker, more saturated shade of French Blue. Regiment twill is a great year-round cotton.

And we'll re-stock the Walt's in Petrol Blue Egyptian Cotton in about 4 weeks too.

Hey guys,
Got a pair of Rivet Chinos today in the new fit (adjustable waistband). I took the same size as I always have in the previous fit, but like Mike warned, they're a little bit tighter in the seat.
These fit great everywhere except for the waist and seat (a little bit hard to button that last button). Since the fit in the thighs, calves, etc. are great, would it be advisable to exchange these for a pair one size up, or to just take these to the tailor and let out the waist by an inch or so?

You could go either way on it. If you want to exchange for a size up, the difference in the leg measurements is pretty minimal. I typically recommend letting trousers out if:

1. You can close them fully but they feel tight when you're seated and it's difficult to tuck in a shirt. Relaxing the waist a little in this scenario can give you a totally perfect fit.

2. You have really slim legs and you want the combo of a comfortable waist and a very tailored shape in the legs. Conversely, a lot of guy s with larger legs might buy a size up and then have the waist taken in.

If you can get the last button done up and you really like the fit in the legs, then have the waist let out and the chinos will feel like they've been made for you.

Thanks for tumbrling(?) that! It's always awesome to see who else picks it up. We had a ton of fun setting up this shot (which was all my girlfriend's idea this time) and it's been tough waiting to post something since I've had the pants for a few weeks now. They are really fantastic; I'm so glad I won them.

I'll say it again - the photos that you stage are really fantastic. A big part of my old job at Lomography was organizing and creating photography contests, and your pic for the trouser competition would have been good enough to win amongst a group of shots from professional photographers. They kick ass!

I just ordered a bodybugg online...it keeps track of how many calories you've burned throughout the day. Looks to be absolutely amazing for sticking to this principle.

Rob - I recently got my personal trainer certification, and one simple rule I like to repeat all the time is that the only way to lose weight is when calories in < calories out. Sounds obvious, but a lot of people tend to forget about it. So if you cleaned up your diet and continue to exercise then you should eventually see some of that mass start to disappear, unless your thighs are already rock solid muscle. And if you don't have one yet, get a foam roller and start using it. It won't necessarily get rid of mass, but anyone who exercises should be using one.
Back on topic, it pains me to do it, but I will probably be putting some other EP items up for sale. I have a pair of the Navy Rivet Service Pant, and a pair of Smith denim, both size 34. They have both been worn only a couple times and are in like new condition, with zero signs of wear. If anyone wants them before I list them in the B&S, hit me with a PM.

Ugh, I've been busting ****** this past month to get ready to get in summer shape. I stopped jogging and have been running intervals (hills and flat fartleks) and been doing that and the gym at least 6 days a week. The creatine/amino reg I've been on has me adding all over, biggest gains in my upper body, but also added an inch to my legs/ass/waist which makes all my pants just too tight to be comfortable. I'm cutting out the creatine and aminos the first half of the month while doing cardio days, and by the second half will hope to cycle off it totally to start cutting up for the beach, so I'm holding off getting pants altered/buying bigger sizes in the hopes that works. I've also really cleaned up my diet the past month or so. Cutting up much more now, but that extra mass is still there...any suggestions, or is it there for good for all you fitness guy?

I hear you guys, I'm in the same boat. I really need to drop something like 10-15lb this season. I've never really been a skinny guy, but my shape is lately moving away from "off-season rugby player" and moving, distressingly, towards "Alec Baldwin after Lobsterfest." I'm far from a fitness guy, but I like reading about this stuff.

Beatlegeuse is totally right about calories. You can lose weight eating nothing but cupcakes if you burn more than you take in. Personally, I've had the most success with carb cutting in the past. I'll have four days a week of almost no carbs, and three days of moderate carbs in the morning and after lifting. I've never had the attention span to really mark all of the calories that I eat - especially as I tend to eat out quite a bit. But drastically limiting your carbs (1) makes a big visual difference in your body, encouraging you to keep eating well and (2) generally reduces your calorie intake as well. Without carbs, it's nearly impossible to eat the same amount of calories in a day. With three big traditional meals - complete with beer or soft drinks, I'd have no problem putting away 3500-4500 calories in a day. Tough to do that when everything is protein, water, and vegetables. That's a lot of eggs, chicken breast, water and broccoli!

In terms of reducing leg size, NYR, that's a tough one. It's been nearly impossible for me to do, and I think that it's tough for a lot of guys. Most men don't carry a lot of fat in their legs, and leg muscles tend to stick around once they're developed. I only do leg workouts every 6 weeks or so, and I'm still maxing out the Rudy 34's. If you're genetically pre-disposed to muscular legs, then you'll probably keep them or build them unless you move away from lifting and short intervals altogether and go into distance running, distance cycling, pilates, etc. The kind of activities where most men have slim lower halves.

But there's always Rudy special orders. :)

AnImp

Reaction score
College age problems- my problem is not taking off the weight, that I do easy. My problem seems to be gaining muscle without doing straight gym work (I swim a mile 2-3 times a week, and walk or bike everywhere). I dislike gym work, but god it'd be nice to fit into normal sized ****...

kumizi

Reaction score
Can we preorder items so that I don't have to be on the computer just as new stock is listed? The popular stuff seems to sell out quickly.

I want the chinos in French Blue, Plum, and Desert.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has probably already been answered multiple times, but will the Desert Duck Canvas Rivet chinos be restocked again? I need a 36, and there seems to be every size available but 36. I'm guessing Mike only makes a few 36s each run...

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Party Hard

In terms of cardio workouts, we went to see Andrew WK last night in NYC. He played "I Get Wet" in its entirety.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I personally got pretty wet in sweat and beer. We ate at the Momofuku Ssam bar afterwards and I probably smelled like an 18th century pig farmer. But the show was awesome! If he's rolling into your town, I highly recommend checking it out. And don't wear a nice shirt.

xr4ti

Reaction score
Epaulet Speckle Chambray, Epaulet Navy Lambswool, Alden Ravello. Vicious dog killing in the background.

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even 18th Century pig farmers gotta get their pork bun fix sometimes...

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

College age problems- my problem is not taking off the weight, that I do easy. My problem seems to be gaining muscle without doing straight gym work (I swim a mile 2-3 times a week, and walk or bike everywhere). I dislike gym work, but god it'd be nice to fit into normal sized ****...

I. Hate. You. I had a frind who was like this, if he didn't work out he'd be a skinny malink. Not sure which is more frustrating if I really think about it though.

Party Hard
In terms of cardio workouts, we went to see Andrew WK last night in NYC. He played "I Get Wet" in its entirety.
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
I personally got pretty wet in sweat and beer. We ate at the Momofuku Ssam bar afterwards and I probably smelled like an 18th century pig farmer. But the show was awesome! If he's rolling into your town, I highly recommend checking it out. And don't wear a nice shirt.

I have a WK song on every workout mix I have, and on my "Last Day of School Mix" each June, I have to begin it with "Party Hard". Where is this?

Today I was ablaze, lots of compliments from the wominz and kids at work today:
91241f02.jpg

824b48ab.jpg

cae40d1b.jpg

These were taken out a bit in the waist (not the seat...stupid alterations lady up the street! and are about 1/4 inch too long and too thick in the cuff (its about 2.33" there)).

As for the dieting/working out, thanks for the tips...BG, I'mma pm you once I get home...and Mike, it could be worse, we could be Betsy Draper...o Betsy...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads