• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chenzhongbi

Reaction score

This is key.
I do minor alterations myself.
Taking the waist in takes about 10 minutes and is a super easy alteration when construction is high-quality.
In other news, are gunmetals all sold out in 34 already??

Tutorials please.

ibitegirls

Reaction score
theres 2 inches to let out— take em to a tailor.

after seeing the quality of the material i will definitely keep them and go to the tailor this weekend..

about how much should it cost to have the waist size increased? I've never had to pay for such a modification before, so i'm not sure
puzzled.gif

i'm guessing it should be like $10 bucks, i will call tomorrow to find out
patch[1].gif

Last edited:

Jobst

Reaction score
Slightly off topic here, but seeing as there aren't going to be any more Epaulet jeans, can anyone recommend some that fit similarly to the rivet chinos?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

after seeing the quality of the material i will definitely keep them and go to the tailor this weekend..

about how much should it cost to have the waist size increased? I've never had to pay for such a modification before, so i'm not sure  :puzzled:

i'm guessing it should be like $10 bucks, i will call tomorrow to find out 
patch%5B1%5D.gif

The price depends on the quality of your tailor. I have 2 tailors that I use, one is cheaper, and the other is more expensive. Both can do and have done this job for me. The former charges about $12 while the latter charges about $22. The former just gets the job done, while the latter tries to match the color of the stitching and make it look as original as possible. This is a very basic job. Any competent tailor can do it.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I have that cardigan and highly recommend it (mine is the black grape). Someone should take it off his hands. The ribbon taping on the buttonholes is clutch.

NYR I think we're similar sizes in most things and a medium is definitely what you want.

Last edited:

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received the desert duck and olive cargo service pants today. Major props to Epaulet for these. The desert duck is a little tighter in the waist than the olive, but I'm hoping they'll give a little over the course of today as I try to break them in. I have a tailor on the first floor of my new job, i'll get em both hemmed up this week (for some reason, I just don't dig the turn-up look... I've got a 30" inseam and it somehow just makes my legs look even shorter...)

Here they are with my black jumpers:

Now to just get em in Gunmetal, Navy, and French Blue...

Last edited:

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting to really get the itch to try some Rivet pants. After some pm'ing, it seems that even my big a$$ can fit into them...

Last edited:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Grabbed french blues and armor lux shirt in manhattan shop today. Great pieces separately, but together they will be unbeatable (especially with snuff chukkas).

Awesome, you got the "celebration of life" set! Those things look so good together!

I love those Armor Lux shirts. We picked up some sweaters from them for Fall which are really boss too. Slim fit, made in France, and have a nice heavy hand to them without being scratchy.

Do you guys think if I ordered a 36 in the duck canvas chinos, 2 inches wouldn't be too much to get them hemmed in the waist?

I think that it should be okay. Chances are you won't take it in the full 2" after you get fitted by the tailor, and I don't believe that the pockets will look too close together.

Like Mike said, they've loosened up a touch on my. Even after the cold wash hang dry shrink, they'll ease up a bit on it after an hour or so (at least my khaki canvas did). I assume the ducks, being a looser weave (right?) canvas will be the same.
I was in Rivets all week at work, yesterday was the heavy weight Japanese cotton (no pics) and today Navy canvas rivets and Natty Chromex belt.
A note on the ruggedness of these that makes me love em so much. This year my class sizes went up from 29-39 per class (we basically lost one teaching position on our grade) my room is TIGHT as hell. That chair you see to my left in the pic is an old school chair from my pops old office they were tossing, so I grabbed it for my classroom. Kids climb all over it and the metal piece is peeling off the back and a small nail is sticking out as well. Caught the rivets on it three times today, just some minor damage. If it were a pair of more dainty pants (walts, rudys or my bespoke stuff) it would have torn a gaping, irreparable hole on the pocket seem. The rivets took a lickin and kept on kickin...

Rock and roll, glad that they're working out for you! They're some tough-ass pants for dealing with tough-ass Brooklyn kids.

Hey Mike, just out of curiosity, did the demand for the new Rivet Chinos exceed your expectations or did you expect such a quick sell-out? Specifically, did you expect the French Blue and Caramel to sell out as fast as they did?

Wow.

I definitely planned for the new chinos to be a hit. But I didn't expect them to sell as explosively as they did - especially the bolder colors. French Blue caught us totally off-guard. It's funny because I love that color and we've pretty much offered something in it every Spring since '08. But this is the first year that it's really happening. And it's pretty perfect in a duck canvas chino. There's something nice about a bold color like that being made up in a tough, masculine fabric.

The response to the new chinos has been really exciting. I'm thrilled with it, and we're really going to build out the line with some exciting new fabrics. Colored duck canvas can be tough to restock because we have to special-order the cloth and there's often a bit of a lead time for it, but we'll introduce all sorts of other options. It's my plan to try and maintain good inventory of the basics (navy-khaki-gunmetal) at all times and layer in a constant stream of special editions that come and go regularly.

Now we're just waiting on Plum. Man, is that one going to good!

Received the desert duck and olive cargo service pants today. Major props to Epaulet for these. The desert duck is a little tighter in the waist than the olive, but I'm hoping they'll give a little over the course of today as I try to break them in. I have a tailor on the first floor of my new job, i'll get em both hemmed up this week (for some reason, I just don't dig the turn-up look... I've got a 30" inseam and it somehow just makes my legs look even shorter...)
Here they are with my black jumpers:
Now to just get em in Gunmetal, Navy, and French Blue...

They look great - thanks for picking them up! Dig those boots too.

Slightly off topic here, but seeing as there aren't going to be any more Epaulet jeans, can anyone recommend some that fit similarly to the rivet chinos?

Try the APC New Standard or one of the 3sixteen fits. You can PM Andrew Chen at Self Edge NY to find out which one of his fits is closer to the Smith jean. He's chainstitched many a smith jean, so he should know :)

The epaulet site says the racing green canvas Walts are machine washable, but the tag inside the waistband says "dry clean only." I was just about to wash them to get any shrinkage out of the way before taking them to the tailor, but now I'm confused - can I machine wash or not?

Yes, sorry for the confusion on that. Our trouser factory puts Dry Clean Only into every pair of pants. But you can absolutely machine wash the cotton walts. I'd recommend cold wash and hang drying.

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After my 2 kids scared the **** out of Matt and Jake on Smith St. today in my Caramel Ducks, the LS Alden Ultimate Jumper with customized soles, and Theory up top:
ac47fdd9.jpg

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want brown hair so I can wear all brown like that :embar:

Last edited:

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait until I can kop some caramel ducks... your pics keep on impressing the fact that I need 'em.

japples

Reaction score
So I got the navy blue rivets the other day here in Los Angeles. Great color and quality.
I went with a size 34, because that worked well for me with 2 slim walt wool trousers I own.
But the rivets are just too tight. Real ball huggers. Will have to get let out and see
how that works as the legs are perfect. More of a crotch-waist issue. I also thought
the cut didn't look quite as good in the seat compared to the slim walts. But beautifully
constucted.

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me know how it works out after you let out the extra fabric -- I have the same issue with a pair of mine.

So I got the navy blue rivets the other day here in Los Angeles. Great color and quality.
I went with a size 34, because that worked well for me with 2 slim walt wool trousers I own.
But the rivets are just too tight. Real ball huggers. Will have to get let out and see
how that works as the legs are perfect. More of a crotch-waist issue. I also thought
the cut didn't look quite as good in the seat compared to the slim walts. But beautifully
constucted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads